TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

sschnath February 8th, 2009 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by deming
Call the VW dealer? Uh HUH! :confused: :confused:

Apparently I'm lucky because I'm situated half-way between two very competent dealers. When I first found out about this I discussed the possibility of having this done with one of them.

After they reviewed the situation, they are not only willing to do the work but are also willing to order the parts for me without any sort of payment up front due to the possibility of delays in getting them.

Their estimate was in line with the estimates that have been discussed here and they said the labor might even come down some. They'll also accept the 10% off service coupon I received from the other dealer so that'll save me a few dollars too.

For the sake of convenience I did try a third VW dealer for service once where I work in MA. I won't go back so I understand the comments.

sschnath February 8th, 2009 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennogle
... For example, before, when my son and I would go to the local drive-in for a milkshake, the car was so loud I'd have to turn OFF my engine to place our order through the speaker, otherwise they'd get our order completely wrong...
Jenn

That explains some of my recent experiences at Dunkin Donuts! Now that you mention it, I had noticed recently how loud it was at the drive through and also assumed that it was age related (the car, not me :)).

sschnath February 9th, 2009 07:19

Just ordered the BS parts. Will be interesting to see what they come back with for part availability.

Honeydew February 9th, 2009 08:22

Vibration comparison

If someone who plans to do the BS job has an iphone it would be interesting to see if you can pick up a meaningful difference in cabin vibration with the seismometer app. Film the same settings and location before and after.
Here it is in my car as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZpM-ySrLjE

The engine is cold and iphone shows the uneven idle.

owr084 February 9th, 2009 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeydew
If someone who plans to do the BS job has an iphone it would be interesting to see if you can pick up a meaningful difference in cabin vibration with the seismometer app. Film the same settings and location before and after.
Here it is in my car as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZpM-ySrLjE

The engine is cold and iphone shows the uneven idle.

For the technologically challenged or those who refuse to drink Job's kool-aid ;) a cup of water placed on the dash can also serve as a visual vibration indicator. Just make sure to use the same amount of water and place it in the same position each time.

leicaman February 9th, 2009 10:26

How about a decibel meter comparison. That would be truly useful. I am sure it will note a difference!

Honeydew February 9th, 2009 10:33

there is a db meter app also:
http://app-store.appspot.com/?url=vi...73990%26mt%3D8

edit: This app shows 85.9 db at cold idle w/ iphone in same position as in the video.

vw4life February 9th, 2009 13:36

Go Jobs... ooops wrong forum..

aja8888 February 9th, 2009 15:49

if your headlights are not vibrating like they are going to fall out of the housings, then the BS job was a success.....;)

MOGolf February 10th, 2009 18:30

back on topic...

I've updated the PDF document linked in the first post.

Updates include using the T10392 puller, adding it to the SST pictures with a note of modifying it. The modification is evenly grinding the pulling arms to a 58mm spacing between opposite arms, with a little rounding to fit the holes of the sprocket.

There are a few additional tips added in the text too. Especially the one contributed by oilhammer to remember to remove the 3393 alignment pins. (Will he ever get his back?)

rydogg February 11th, 2009 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOGolf
back on topic...

I've updated the PDF document linked in the first post.

Excellent, great work MOGolf! All your (and OH's) hard work is very much appreciated. Cudos!!!

sschnath February 11th, 2009 14:17

I have to echo that all the work by Oilhammer, MOGolf and everyone else is greatly appreciated. I just talked to the dealer and the BS is in but he's waiting on some of the hardware. He said told me that the second the remaining parts are in he'll be calling me.

I also told him I'd be asking for all of the BS-related parts so I can document this which, of course, wasn't a problem. But I'm not going to write my letter to NHTSA and VW until after the work is done because I want to supply pictures should they help to tell the story. Either way I'll also be pointing them to this forum for supplemental data.

And even though I didn't buy the car at this particular dealer and my car is well out of warranty, he's going to set me up with a loaner car. I had expected to take a day or two off from work because of this, but he's going to set me up for a couple of days so I'm not inconvenienced and so they can make sure it's done right. I never would have thought to even ask for it.

Once the work is done I'll report back with the results and if I'm happy with the outcome I'll also offer up the dealer's name for those that are interested in traveling to southern Maine for a positive dealer experience. I'll also make sure VOA knows about the level of service from the dealer too as I know I wouldn't have received this kind of service from too many dealers. But, it doesn't mean anything if the work isn't done right so first things first.

Skidor February 11th, 2009 19:16

That is a good dealer. Is it in Saco?

I'm trying to plan out my BS replacement, I know I'll need at now at 98k. Let us know how it goes and what the dealer reports back to VW on what they find.

I'd love to tempt fate and drive back home (3200 miles) to drop off my car and go snowmobiling for a few days.

petersonpr February 16th, 2009 15:29

Do you think anything relating to this "flaw" would show up on an oil analysis? Mine has 55k on it and I am already thinking I should plan for this upgrade/retrofit. Any chance this has already been done to mine? It whines like a GM SB 350 with gears instead of timing chain. Just a thought. Engine code BHW 005 599

MOGolf February 16th, 2009 15:46

It could only have been done to your car if it was done after October 1 2008 when the parts superceded the originals for the BHW in North America. None of them came from the factory with the parts.

I would expect that the aluminum count would go up if the tensioner broke (it is made of non-magnetic material that looks like an Al alloy). Iron count would go up if teeth strip off the crank gear, but you'll know that immediately without an analysis.