TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

Sprocket February 2nd, 2009 10:24

Any update on that front?

oilhammer February 2nd, 2009 11:01

Nope. I have enough here now to do the one loose engine that has been here a while, and the 4 others coming in this coming weekend from out of town.

My list of cars needing this grows DAILY. I am up over 30 now. :o

FL2AK-tdi February 3rd, 2009 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888
Every online retailer I do business with will NOT CHARGE my card until the order ships.

Yeah, this USED to be a stndard online business practice--to not charge he customer's card under the order was filled. I HOPE it is still a standard practice.

Bora did this to me last week, but, I'm less concerned over a $70, non-essential item than you should be over a thousand bucks. Plus, it might have been a human error. At least his shipping was reasonable so, in my case, I guess I can't complain. He answers his emails and phone messages quite promptly.

The guys at Impex have always been personable and friendly; I'm just sick of their crazy shipping policy and their refusal to ship USPS--unless, of course, it's THEIR dime.

Typically, the shipping costs equal the cost of buying the parts or, at best, are about half the cost of the good. I have to plan my purchases with them very carefully because of the shipping. I've asked repeatedly for them to ship USPS. They once set me a faulty glowplug. It was going to be like $20 to ship ONE glow plug. Becuase THEY had to pay for the shhipping, they sent it first class US Mail for $5. But when I have to pay for it, no, they can't ship US Mail.

So, I'm looking for another vendor. i wish Bora and tdi parts had their websites set up like Impex. (hint hint!) Impex's website is almost like having your own VW google. If our registered vendors cold have sites like that...

senez February 4th, 2009 04:52

I still don't know what to do about this situation...

I have a car sitting in my driveway I'm making payments on that doesn't move.

It will cost me around 3k, possibly more to fix it. I have to wait MONTHS for the parts to come in and then drive to a reputable mechanic to fix it (as far away as Oilhammer, hopefully as close as Import Autowerks [haven't heard back]).

:mad:
:(

The only good news is that the diesel-gasoline cost gap in my area is closing to around 40 cents difference. But I can't drive my diesel.

oilhammer February 4th, 2009 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by senez
I still don't know what to do about this situation...

I have a car sitting in my driveway I'm making payments on that doesn't move.

It will cost me around 3k, possibly more to fix it. I have to wait MONTHS for the parts to come in and then drive to a reputable mechanic to fix it (as far away as Oilhammer, hopefully as close as Import Autowerks [haven't heard back]).

:mad:
:(

The only good news is that the diesel-gasoline cost gap in my area is closing to around 40 cents difference. But I can't drive my diesel.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230060 :)

senez February 4th, 2009 05:01

Yeah, I wish I could do that this weekend. For reals. The only thing that scares me about St. Louis is the drive...and it ripping to shreds on the way there. I'd prefer you'd do it, as the pioneer of sorts...

I have too much work to take off to St. Louis, though.

MOGolf February 4th, 2009 07:15

I think it is time to ask that this thread be locked. There seems to be a lack of comments about the topic (the replacement procedure) and more about other rants. :rolleyes:

oilhammer February 4th, 2009 07:22

I vote for trimmed and locked, although the original post remains intact, which is all that counts anyways.

FL2AK-tdi February 4th, 2009 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOGolf
I think it is time to ask that this thread be locked. There seems to be a lack of comments about the topic (the replacement procedure) and more about other rants. :rolleyes:

Your new nickname is "Lock Box." =)

DickSilver February 4th, 2009 17:22

Today I got my 2004 B5.5V back from my local preferred shop with the geared BS module properly installed. This was the first one they had done. They worked carefully and did everything right the first time. Details are as follows:

The shop is: Fast Enough Performance, in Lexington KY 859-258-2015

The car has 101,000 miles, so I had them do a new timing belt with water pump & tensioner, drain & replace tranny fluid & filter, and remove the chain-driven BS module & replace with the geared module.

On hand already: 505.01 VW oil, G12 coolant
Labor 10 hr $650
Tiptronic fluid & filter $197
Dieselgeek timing belt kit $277
Geared BS module kit from Impex $1342
TOTAL $2466 plus some tax, odds & ends

Since my car had not started to have any of the feared vibrations & noises, I can only speculate how much farther I might have gotten. The chain, sprockets & tensioner were not remarkable for any signs of impending failure, so it's anybody's guess.

leicaman February 4th, 2009 17:40

So does yours sound "different"? Sounds most excellent. Make sure you keep all receipts as you never know what will come down the pike. Good going! :) :p :D :)

abctdi February 4th, 2009 17:45

So that's a ~10% expenditure (of the original cost) at 100k miles.
How does this figure in against other cars at this price point?

DickSilver February 4th, 2009 19:53

One of the closest new cars right now may be a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Saw one in the stealership the other day for $28,000 & change. Like you say, my $2500 geared BS & other stuff is less than 10% of that, and sets me up for 100K more miles of motoring with proper oil changes & stuff. I can't objectively say my B5.5 runs or sounds "better" or not, but it is FINE now, as ever.

BTW, I can't figure out what is going on in the VW design department. Looked at a Routan, billed as a 7-passenger minivan. The rear seat DOES have 3 seatbelts, but the only adults that will fit back there have gotta have 24 inch hips! Test drove a (Passat) CC last week. I'm 5 feet 7 inches, and I hit my head three times on the edge of the roof getting in & out. Go figure.

owr084 February 5th, 2009 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickSilver
Test drove a (Passat) CC last week. I'm 5 feet 7 inches, and I hit my head three times on the edge of the roof getting in & out. Go figure.

If your were taller, you would already be conditioned to duck your head:p;). Way too many things are built without consideration to folks over 6' My pet peeves are ATM machines :mad:

Route 66 February 5th, 2009 12:56

I would have spent over $1000.00 to have the repair shop drop the oil pan and look for damage but there are those times when a person must move forward.