Looking at used '09 Treg TDI - thoughts?

Sand Bag

TDI
'06 Silver Jetta TDI manual & '11 Audi Q7 S-Line V6 TDI
I came across a 2009 VW Touareg TDI V6 and was curious. I hadn't seen a price this low ($16,000) on this vehicle but given the miles (165,000mi) maybe this isn't such a good deal. The vehicle looks clean and I've been browsing to do some research. I need to replace my wife's ride and thought this would be an ideal candidate. I wasn't sure if anyone could shed some light on possible issues or service intervals needed. In the mean time when I can I'll keep looking for details and possibly call on this. I'm in no hurry but hate to miss a good opportunity if this is one. Thanks!

EDIT: Meant to post the add! http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4950783024.html

Last edited:

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
If you haven't already, start by reading the similar thread regarding a 2010 TDI, they are pretty much the same vehicle as the 2009. Little to no difference between those two (other than miles), lots of differences between them and the 06 in your signature.

OsirisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tech Package DSG Golf, Executive Egg
Get serious about that one. The guy takes care of his home & cars, look at the pics.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
similar to my Campanilla White T2 except mine has Sienna interior. Looks like a good deal with RNS-510 Nav, Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS and tow package.

Sand Bag

TDI
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is a deal. I feel slightly better until I can get a close look at it. My only major concern is the 4 timing chain setup on the back of this TDI. I haven't seen much for failures but I suspect not many 3.0 TDI's have between 150k-200k miles on them in North America. I would hate to get into this ride and then have a monster bill to replace all of them. Still researching to see if I can find any more information!

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is a deal. I feel slightly better until I can get a close look at it. My only major concern is the 4 timing chain setup on the back of this TDI. I haven't seen much for failures but I suspect not many 3.0 TDI's have between 150k-200k miles on them in North America. I would hate to get into this ride and then have a monster bill to replace all of them. Still researching to see if I can find any more information!
The motor has been around for a long time, just not here. I have read nothing really about the timing chains on this motor. They have been ROW way longer before we got them here.

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
We must know!! I am also curious if you pulled the trigger SandBag. The ad has since been removed... so someone must have it! from what people are describing it sounds lovely white T2's are always nice in my opinion.

Sand Bag

TDI
So we pulled the trigger! Sorry for the late update. Been way to busy. The Touareg is fantastic! It wasn't without some hiccups though. During my post vehicle test drive I found that the driveshaft bearing & isolator were on the verge of failing. So I was able to get the price down an additional $500 with the intent of taking it home as is. On our way back home check engine light came on. Ran Vag-Com on it (P0171) was able to track it down to intake/intercooler tube leak. The tube had a 1 inch tear so that was and unexpected fix ($135). We put the Touareg out of commission for about a week while parts came in and I found time to fix it. Since then though we have had no issues and the wife loves it! The gentlemen we purchased it from was genuine and was the second owner. He put approximately 40k on the clock while he had it and had any major service bills available. Car is very clean (with exception of some dog hair behind rear seats and crumbs under back seats), with hardly and stone chips on the front. I'll be cleaning up the wife's old ride, selling, and purchasing a trailer when the time and the deal permits!

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Great news.

We had/have some issues with our used 09. Front bearings are getting done monday, and the high side pressure line on the AC needs replaced.

But it's a great vehicle!

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Unless you know for sure they have already been done, change the ATF, the oil in the front and rear diffs, and the oil in the transfer case [get that from your VW dealer in the correct size 850 ml bottle].