Supporting the engine for timing belt job

k98shooter

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Good afternoon, my car is approaching 120k and I have all parts to start TB job (except of the tools, which I am going to rent). I don't have a hoist to support the engine from above while unbolting the engine support. I am wondering if jacking up the engine little bit by oil pan would suffice? I've replaced torn engine supports this way, using a piece of 2x6 under oil pan to evenly spread load. Thank you.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
That's fine, as long as you are properly supporting and balancing the engine on the pan. a 2x6 laid flat works perfect.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There's no need to mess with the motor mount. Just get a new tensioner stud and remove the old one to replace the tensioner. Easier, faster, safer. This method is mentioned in most all of the write-ups.

k98shooter

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Good evening! it's been a while and my car is way beyond 120K and rented Metalnerd tool kit was sitting around for several days, so I decided to get things going. Everything is out, including the water pump. Tensioner removal pro method worked fine, without need of removing engine mount. I was able to take off the old TB only after removing both small and one large roller. have no idea how I am gonna put new one back..
I am not sure which one is radiator lower hose, I was about to undo it to drain remaining old coolant, but I was am not sure if it is radiator or intecooler hose. (approx. 3 inch diameter hose on passenger side).

Now the major concern... I am not entirely sure I secured HPFP sprocket properly as it appeared to move after I removed old bolts (with pin in place). I took a pic while the old TB was still on and after belt removal. Camshaft sprocket seems to be fine with pin all the way in place.

Your help and advise, as always much appreciated!
BTW, old tensioner and roller bearings feel like new, without any play or grinding. So are both belts, no cracks etc.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the timing on the fuel pump isn't essential. The thing you need perfect is cam and tensioner. Rotate by hand, check, rotate by hand check again. Make sure everything is torqued properly. I kind of think the recommend +90° etc is a bit overkill.

Whatcha this video, it is a big help!

https://youtu.be/fAi667H7M2Y

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The CP4 hpfp doesn't require timing so much as it does clocking so that the pressure spikes correspond with injection events. Unless the hpfp is getting replaced, there's no need to mess with the sprocket. It should get pinned to maintain the proper clocking though.