Is it possible to clean clothes soaked in diesel?

Compression Nut

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS - Galactic Blue 5 speed
A few weeks ago, I was doing an oil change on the truck, and spilled about 2qts. of oil on my jacket, shirt, and jeans (I dropped the filter). My wife just about had a fit. Someone suggested using "Lestoil". I had to rewash the clothes several times, because they smelled like Lestoil, but it did remove the oil stains. I'm sure that it would work OK on #2.

Good Luck!

Brett

Compression Nut

Veteran Member
TDI
The jacket was nylon, with a cotton liner. I think my shirt, and jeans were cotton. I'm betting that it would work on other fabrics. Pretty suprising to see that it would remove oil as well as it did.

Actually, this was on my truck. I wasn't quite as messy changing the oil on the TDI. I only spilled on the driveway.
I have to recommend the Gunk driveway cleaner for that!

-Brett

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
The pants are 100% cotton.

After two washings, they seem to be holding up well, and the oily color is disappearing. If there are any spots that won't come out, I'll try the Lestoil.

I didn't have to rinse off the car; the gale that blew the fuel all over the side of the car also blew enough rain on it to wash it all off. All I had to do was wipe off the mirror.

Compression Nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to mention, a little goes a long way. I put a thin coating of Lestoil on the spot. The work it around a little. If the spot isn't removed after the first washing, use a little more Lestoil. A few more washings will remove the Lestoil smell. You can even use this after the clothing has been through the dryer.

Also, make sure to use gloves. The Lestoil really dries your hands out. Almost as bad as parts cleaner.

-Brett

C Brown

Veteran Member
According to some don't put them in the dryer.

It sets the stain !! :>(

Try Tide . com
They probably won't recomend Lestoil though.
wonder why

Regards
CB&Stoker

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
I've traded one problem for another...

After just two washings, the stains were completely gone... But I washed a whole load of clothes right afterwards and after coming out of the dryer, they all smell like diesel!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oh well, I like the smell of diesel. Now I have it in cologne fashion! Eau de Diesel. I like it!

(Now where can I find a perfume bottle with 13,000 psi at the nozzle?)

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
I was fueling up at a Holiday station in Wisconsin yesterday, and the automatic shutoff on the pump failed. I was standing right beside the nozzle but didn't notice it overflowing until it dripped on my pants leg.

Is it possible to clean the stain off the clothing, or are my pants ruined? I am trying some Shout stain remover but so far it hasn't removed the black oily stain or smell.

Normally I listen for the whoosh of fuel coming up the filler neck, but I didn't hear anything yesterday thanks to the howling 40 mph wind blowing through the area. The entire side of my car (!) got splattered with diesel.

I complained to the cashier but she didn't seem to care. I hope you guys have some tricks to try, or else I'm out an $80 pair of pants.

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue
Honestly...go get some Oxyclean from Wally-Mart or Target and put a scoop of that in a 5 gallon pail with the clothes, fill with warm water and then let them sit for a couple hours. Then wash normally.

I have been doused with gasoline, diesel, motor oil, veggie oil, olive oil, other petro products and oxy clean will "eat" away the stain while brightening your clothes. The stuff works wonders.

Mikey

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
$80 for a pair of pants?

You must shop in a different store than I do!

I second Lestoil, it's pretty good stuff. My wife has been using some of the Oxyclean stuff with good results as well.

-Lee

JettaWagonTDI1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2002 Candy White with Gold Pinstripe
Buy some of this:

1. Simple Green

2. Perfumed Detergent- you know... spring fresh scent ________ powder detergent... you fill in the blank.

3. Another pair of Hilfigers!

Good Luck!

Shawn