Average life of injector tips

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I'm running the VEG SMOG .205 tips for about 180K kms/10 years now. Is there any recommended interval (kms/years) after which the injector tips should be checked/replaced?

Thanks.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Are you getting a decrease in mileage? Smoke at startup? Post and see what others have to say in the PD/VE section.
No smoke at startup, and not exactly a decrease in mileage, but for a while the fuel economy numbers are not what I'm expecting. I'm stuck in the 6L-6.3L/100kms range for a long time, no matter how I drive, no matter where I fill up, with summer or winter diesel. I've checked the MAF, air filter, snow screen, wheel alignment, new tires, rear brakes not dragging etc. The timing belt was done last summer at Precision Tuning, so I'm sure that the timing is set in the ideal range. With all these basic items checked off, I expect to see lower L/100kms numbers. So I'm puzzled about it as to what am I missing?

I thought of reviewing my injectors setup and hence I posted this thread. I did search the forums to check what the recommended IQ should be for better fuel economy. It should be in the 3-5 mg/stroke range at idle. I checked mine and it shows up as 4.6-4.8 at idle in VCDS.

Other than that, I don't know what else I could check/do that will help to better my fuel economy.

edit: I forgot to mention that I've done a diesel purge and fuel filter change, and a liquimoly engine flush in my most recent oil change.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It's been a long while since I've driven a VE, but I went through a set of SM g .205s and was not entirely happy with them. I recall fuel econ being ok, but not great. I eventually swapped the smogs for bosio pp520s, and they were an all round better injector nozzle, albeit at a higher price. Better fuel econ, and lower smoke... On the he same tune.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
It's been a long while since I've driven a VE, but I went through a set of SM g .205s and was not entirely happy with them. I recall fuel econ being ok, but not great. I eventually swapped the smogs for bosio pp520s, and they were an all round better injector nozzle, albeit at a higher price. Better fuel econ, and lower smoke... On the he same tune.
Thanks for the feedback Adam, I went with those at that time due to my budget. They were a good fit at that time and the feedback from other forum members on those was good.
I was able to get a suitable replacement for these now.