Need VAGCOM Help in Northwest Indiana

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (SOLD), 2005 Jetta Wagon
My 1997 Passat TDI is running pretty crappy. Anyone in the region with vagcom?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
There's a locater sticky at the top of tdi101.

IIRC, there are a LOT of members in the Indiana / Cincinnati, Oh area.

Tony

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
I'm in toledo oh area and head over to gas city in frequently. Pass by Ft wayne. May be going this week. pm or call me. 937 524 9324 Tom

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank You

But I live closer to the Illinois border.

Thanks again.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Plenty of us in NE Illinois near the border as well. If you post your actual location, someone may actually be able to help you - Indiana is a big state!

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks again

Yep, Indiana is a big state. I live in Rensselaer, IN. I work in Gary Indiana, Rensselaer is about 45 miles south of Gary and just east of I-65.

I have had a cold start issue for a long time, starts right up when I use the TDI heater, so I have just been plugging in at home and at work. Lost the ability to plug in at work now. Time to work through the problem now. Have a couple other issues too, not sure if they are related to one problem or not. I had 240,000 miles on the 1997 Passat and about 55,000 on the TB so thought I would have a local diesel injection shop do the TB and investigate the starting issue. Didn't work out too well - don't want to go back there really.

Here is my list, I need help sorting through this ...

COLD START PROBLEM
Glow plug light comes on, stays on longer when its really cold. Repeated attempts / cycling glow plugs, eventually starts - but smokes a lot and sputters badly.

Its harder to start, even when its not that cold out - following the TB job.

CEL
Autozone read a code - P0380 - glow plug relay?

Diesel injection shop read that code and was able to clear it. They also read a code 00575 - MAP shorted to B+. they could clear the code, but it returned as soon as they turned the key (before starting the car).

STUMBLING AND BUCKING UNDER LIGHT THROTTLE
I have read that this can be caused by injectors being worn / imbalanced

SMOKING AND SPUTTERING
There have been times when it would run badly and smoke a lot at startup during the summer as well.

LIMP MODE ?
Loss of power when pushing moderately high RPMs. Power returns when cycling the key off/on.

INJECTION TIMING OFF FOLLOWING TB JOB?
Not sure if it is, the car runs OK when it is at operating temp - but sputters badly and smokes a lot above idle when cold (once I get it to start).

Diesel injection shop has vagcom, the said timing was the slightest bit below the center line in graph mode. They observed the timing drop off the graph when increasing throttle from idle - lots of smoke and sputtering. They described it as not advancing and blamed it on the MAP sensor code.

I had already spent too much at that place while they learned how to troubleshoot a TDI. Good mechanics, not TDI savy though. So I brought my car home.

I ordered a MAP sensor from Digi-key, here is the link I found related to a bad MAP sensor
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157442&highlight=map+sensor+shorted

I also ordered a N75 solenoid, may be related to limp mode problem? If not will keep as a troubleshooting tool until I really need it.

I may have to break down and buy vagcom. Again, I could use some help sorting all of this out.

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Funny, my wife was in Rensselaer yesterday. Could've sent her with my VCDS cable for her to scan your car!

P0380 is a glowplug code, yes. You need to pull out a multimeter and check each plug's resistance. IIRC you want between 0.8 - 1.2 ohms per plug, but check the Glowplugs 101 v2.0 thread in TDI 101 forum section for more detail.

Once you've got your car scanned with VCDS and the timing checked properly, it should be apparent what's really going on.

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
Fuel consumption increased

Thanks Scurvey, feel isolated out here from all things TDI. Really glad to have the TDI Club and its members to seek info and advice from. I have learned a lot here.

If I can't find someone with more experience nearby to help me or a REPUTABLE / KNOWLEDGABLE / REASONABLY PRICED shop ... I may have to purchase the VCDS and slog through this myself.

Wow, I can't believe how much fuel I have burned since I picked up my car on Monday.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
You're on the right track.

Replace the N75 and every inch of vacuum line on the car. Especially the bit inside the ECU. You may not need the MAP sensor, but maybe you do. If it wiggles freely, solder joints are suspect.

I suspect that the pump head seal is allowing air to be sucked into the IP when the car is not running. They don't always leak, but you can usually find some greasy grit on the pump head when this happens. Air in the IP, even a bit, can lead to hard starts.

My preferred timing point on the 1Z/AHU engines is slightly below the middle line. Compare the duty cycles in group 4 under engine. If the second duty cycle brackets or matches the first one, it's good. BTW, VCDS quits measuring timing on the graph when you blip the throttle, so that test is useless.

Good luck.

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Paramedick.

Already did the hoses a while back, but will inspect them again.