Major work complete: Phew. Feel lucky.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Hey all:
Just got the car back from Jason (TDIJetta99) after having my 200k service done, albeit 10k early. A few observations (mine and Jason's)

Timing belt done: As expected, no issues.

Nozzles (PP520) in: They apparently all popped well, and there were no issues.

Anti-shutter fixed: Broken wire.

Cam & Followers done: Cam ended up looking pretty good. Two of the followers were not rotating any more according to Jason. I did see a line grooved in them where the cam was contacting them, as opposed to the circle on the other six.

Clutch (G60/VR6) done: This was the one where I feel lucky. Jason stated that the DMF was on it's way apart, and pretty close to contacting the bell-housing. He showed me the difference between my old one and a pretty good one, and there was a ton of play in mine, comparatively. Don't have to worry about that one anymore, do I?

My only two reflections on the 10 miles home: The G60/VR6 is a lot lighter than I expected. It's nice, though. Also, I'm amazed at how rough the car had gotten with the flywheel...without me noticing. It was shaky on takeoff, and it was super rough at idle, compared to now. The car is simply awesome again.

Finally, I'd like to thank Jason for some great work, and for taking some time with me to show me stuff, explain things, etc. I know a decent amount generally about cars, but obviously not about this stuff. I'd completely recommend him to anyone close.

Cheers. J

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
TDInownow said:
Cam & Followers done: Cam ended up looking pretty good. Two of the followers were not rotating any more according to Jason. I did see a line grooved in them where the cam was contacting them, as opposed to the circle on the other six.
I was wondering if you had any symptoms of this (extended tapping on start-up?) or if Jason reccommended doing this on all cars at ~200k.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
The followers are more of a board recommendation at 200k, so I'd planned to do them regardless of wear pattern. They've been known to develop spider-web type fine cracks in them, and eventually they punch through. When they fail, it's not good, obviously. In my case, an inspection revealed that they really weren't too bad, but I did them anyway because there are so many instances of failure between 200k and 250k. Much better to do with a TB, too, since everything's apart up there. To answer your direct question, no, I really didn't notice any symptoms.

Figured I'd do the cam, too, since I was putting followers in. I definitely could have gotten away without it, but it's peace of mind.

I've also had M1TDT or (now) Rotella T in there for all 190k...I'm assuming that makes a positive difference in the wear, but I'm really not sure.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Yeah, let's hope. It'll be ready for a great 200k if I can manage to hook up with Jeff to get the RC3e put in. After that, the only thing I can see going in the foreseeable future is maybe the turbo...is there a life expectancy there? The turbo concern is why I was so set on getting the anti-shutter fixed.

Really, I'm just happy that the forum got me sensitized to the DMF issue. I was really back and forth about replacing the clutch, since it wasn't slipping at all after 190k (with half of that at RC2). There were a few little things, like a vibration at 2000-2300 RPM under load, and a shuddering getting into 1st and 2nd, again under load, like up hills...but I wouldn't have necessarily thought the clutch was going had I not read the DMF history here.

I guess there was a bad idle vibration, too. I didn't notice it so much (until after, when it wasn't there) but Jason picked it up right away as he pulled it into the garage...another positive with having someone work on the car who drives one everyday.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
TDInownow said:
...I've also had M1TDT or (now) Rotella T in there for all 190k...I'm assuming that makes a positive difference in the wear, but I'm really not sure.
I've had Redline 15W-40 Diesel in mine until about 1000 miles ago. I changed it out for Rotella 5W-40 because I needed just a little faster cranking in subzero cold starting conditions. But I think I'll change back to Redline now that I have found their 5W-40 is CJ-4 rated. My lifters and cam looked perfect at 200k miles, which was 36k miles ago.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
re: the broken anti shutter valve wire?? where exactly was it broken........when i got my timing belt done the guru told me that it was not working and it was most likely the wire?, ....any more info on this would be great!!!!

thanks for you help

it is too rainy today to go looking around!! maybe on the weekend!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
pbraunton said:
re: the broken anti shutter valve wire?? where exactly was it broken........when i got my timing belt done the guru told me that it was not working and it was most likely the wire?, ....any more info on this would be great!!!!

thanks for you help

it is too rainy today to go looking around!! maybe on the weekend!!
Common problem, wire pulled too tight going to the solenoid. Over time and age they fatigue and break.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
pbraunton said:
re: the broken anti shutter valve wire?? where exactly was it broken
Mine was broken about 4 inches from the solenoid plug. There was a hole in the plastic sheath, too, where it was broken. Lucky that it was close...though I'd assume that's a more likely area...once it gets farther away from the solenoid, it's pretty well secured to the firewall from what I could tell. It ended up being a 5 minute fix once the actuator and solenoid were ruled out (though it was nice that Jason had both laying around...easy to rule them out).

Last edited: