Hard to find exhaust leak

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I am pretty certain i have an exhaust leak because no puff of black smoke. I have a pretty loud hiss when building boost.
What i have done
1: bypassed egr cooler
2: replaced flexible exhaust piece by cat.
3: cleaned and looked all over for soot tracks
It only leaks under moderate to high boost and does zap some power.
Working on making a homade smoker system with an old soldering iron, paint can and acouple of fittings and baby oil with an old sock for a wick.
My question is how prone to cracks are the exhaust manifolds?
How prone to blowing out exhaust manifold
gaskets?
How big of a pain is the manifold to remove?
Found out if egr and cooler is off you can remove down pipe with cat out of the top. It has to be jacked up pretty high to do so.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Are you sure it isn't a boost leak in the intake system?

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
It might be, no smoke though. I have taken off the front bumper cover and checked each connection of my front mount intercooler too. My flex piece on the exhaust was definitely bad.

I will finish my smoker and try it on the intercooler side. Got 2 young grandkids to look after, daughter had major back surgery and not a lot of time to tinker right now.

Last edited:

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
Have a beaded lip on all my intercooler pipes and T clamps. I cleaned all connections and used hair spray to make the pipes stay put better.
Hair spray works pretty good on a grease free pipe and coupler hose. I sanded the polished area of the aluminum pipes that are clamped as well.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I bet. I see some stuff periodically from the salt belt. It is awful, no idea how you guys deal with that.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bet. I see some stuff periodically from the salt belt. It is awful, no idea how you guys deal with that.
It's simple, we have to buy cars more often. The VWs have excellent corrosion protection and last a long time. Mazdas on the other hand, if you are quiet, you can hear them rust! :)

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
I finished my smoker and tapped into the intercooler side. It was coming from the intercooler. The smoker works brilliantly! Used a friends old nebulizer pump to push the smoke.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
I was already running a front mount intercooler. I have pitched many of the original hoses.
The intercooler is a bar and link type.

Looked around my garage and found most of what I need to hook up the stock intercooler.
May go ahead and hook it back up. I have get a new hose for the one off the turbo.

Last edited:

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
That and the stage 2 tune is why I went to the front mount intercooler.

At least I found out the 3B0145828g hose will fit.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That and the stage 2 tune is why I went to the front mount intercooler.

At least I found out the 3B0145828g hose will fit.
Unless you buy an OE hose (I wasn;t able to buy it up here at the dealer), the Chinese replicas will not last long with a Stage 2.