Fun noise under the hood

Jettachris

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So a week ago I was driving down the interstate in my 06 Jetta TDI with 106,000 miles, cruise control on, when I hear what sounds like nuts and bolts flying out from under my car. I stopped go check it out and only seen that my engine cover was loose so I took it off and tossed it in the trunk for the time being. Then the real fun began. After getting to the town I was heading to, I start to hear this fun new noise like a tin on hollow steel sound. Like someone is putting a pencil into a metal fan. But, it only does it when I decelerate, or let my foot off of the gas pedal, and it only does it between roughly 15 and 55 mph. The noise stops as soon as I push on the accelerator and depending on the speed when letting off, it starts immediately as t varying volumes. I have a video of me recreating the sound going about 20mph in my neighborhood so I hope you can hear it. It doesn't do it when in neutral or park and if it is making the noise in drive, it will stop immediately if I shift into neutral.

Here is the link for the video
https://youtu.be/-EdJNrte4Z8

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Give the pulleys a Check over, or maybe a loose belt rubbing on something. You’re warning sound probably won’t last long.

djmeier1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Black
I would drop in to the closest friendly transmission repair shop to have that eliminated as the problem. I do hope it is eliminated. If not, get a written estimate of repairs. Then leave and report back.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Any vibration in the floor pan? A failed dog bone engine/transaxle mount will make for some "interesting" noises. As will other broken engine mounts due to failure to change out the one time use bolts during affected services.