VW tdi jetta high pressure fuel pump problem

lcjjm4

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
All who own late model vw jetta tdi 2009-2010 must beware of the faulty high pressure fuel pump problem. VW must recall this problem but they are avoiding it. i called vw of America an stated that I want to be on record in case this happens during or after warranty so vw will be liable and fix this $10,000 headache.

BWM had a similar problem an ABC 20/20 Chris Cuomo at 212 456 7777 interviewed BMW an soon after that program BMW recalled 160,000 cars for the fix. Nice going Chris Cuomo.

We need more owners of TDI complaining to VW of America an to also call Chris Cuomo at the above telephone number.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Welcome to the club. There's a lot of helpful information here.

The HPFP issue has been well documented for over 2 years. All of what you say is true, and has been said by many on this site over and over.

Grab a BIG bucket (or 2) of popcorn, your favorite beverage, a comfortable chair, and do a search. You'll be reading for hours.

Again, welcome to the club.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Welcome to the club. There's a lot of helpful information here.

The HPFP issue has been well documented for over 2 years. All of what you say is true, and has been said by many on this site over and over.

Grab a BIG bucket (or 2) of popcorn, your favorite beverage, a comfortable chair, and do a search. You'll be reading for hours.

Again, welcome to the club.
two years? the first time a HPFP crapped itself that was documented dealer fight on this site was back in late fall 2009, with Dwesiel.

The Popular Mechanics reporters had their system replaced no questions asked back in sometime 2008. Dwesiels case was the first time the club knew about the situation where VWoA claimed not warranty work, and wanted to stick him with the 8-9K repair bill.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
This post reminds me of the scene in "dumb and dumber" when Jim Carey's character sees the framed headline on the wall of the bar saying "man lands on moon" and he cheers and breaks into celebration.

In other words...it's old news. Can we just lock it now so it doesn't turn into another cluttered HPFP thread with no new information?

FWIW my observations are that for all of the new members/cars being sold there aren't that many new cases of HPFP failure being reported here so it still seems to be a relatively infrequent failure and while it is of concern to all owners, nobody needs to panic over it. My advice to any new owner is use a good additive with lubricity enhancers and relax knowing you have done all you can do to prevent it.

The OP can start his reading here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380

Welcome to the board!

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
two years? the first time a HPFP crapped itself that was documented dealer fight on this site was back in late fall 2009, with Dwesiel.

The Popular Mechanics reporters had their system replaced no questions asked back in sometime 2008. Dwesiels case was the first time the club knew about the situation where VWoA claimed not warranty work, and wanted to stick him with the 8-9K repair bill.
The highlighted portion above is correct. However, I considered the Popular Mechanics issue, even though it wasn't officially reported here at the time, to be the beginning of the "awareness" of the HPFP issue.

Any yes, mod, just close this thread for the reasons stated.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Aside from getting "IB4TL"...

I'd like to give the OP chance to speak to what exactly he got / wants to get "on record" with VW? The post indicates that there has been no issue.. :confused:

Last edited:

lcjjm4

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
skoda/vw cheap plastic fuel pump cause major engine damage

Its time for VW to step up an have a recall on all faulty cheap plastic high pressure fuel pumps on late model jetta tdi 2009-2010.

Lets hope this admin does not remove my post as they have no guts.

Anyone with tdi late model jetta will eventually have there pump break particles an ruin the engine costing the customer over $10,000 if its beyond the 36k mi warranty.

I called VW of America and they gave me a case # an they qoted they never heard of a problem. I say BS.

I also called Chris Cuomo of ABC TV Networks show 20/20 and notifed him of the problem an I suggest everyone with a tdi late model car do the same. He can be reached at 212 456 7777.

thank

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Don, I have been corresponding with Lawrence, the OP. Lawrence works for ABC TV in NYC. He owns a CR TDI and was reading where there have been HPFP failures and is concerned. He called me out of the blue and we discussed the issue. He is quite concerned and has decided to alert Chris Cuomo who happens to be with ABCs 20/20. Chris was instrumental in reporting the similar issue BMW had awhile back and soon thereafter BMW capitulated and initiated a total recall campaign.

I know many here think this issue is not a big deal and many here also know I truly consider this issue to be a real big deal. Being a TDI specific full service and sales entity for nearly 13 years and known nationally just may provide me with a bit more fore site than many who only hang out here and base their denial solely on what's been posted here on this venue or possibly being in denial due to just spending North of $25K and praying for the best. I lost count on how many people I came in contact with such as my current customers, people who Google for information and then contact me, the State Farm insurance agent from New Orleans who disclosed that there were several HPFP claims in their system, and my local VW dealer who has had several confirmed failures. I also lost count of how many of these people who contacted me to where I would ask them to join the tdiclub to disclose their experience. Common sense should tell you that even with all the postings of failures here as well as my national exposure and discoveries, there has to be a heck of alot more victims of this failure which do not cross the path of this venue or myself.

Despite what some here claim, I think what the OP posted is new and I also think we have a great opportunity to nip this in the bud before these ticking time bombs start going out of warranty which is exactly what the history to date proves regarding other unconscionable flaws such as the B5 BS assy., BRM DMF issues, PD cam wear issues, to name a few.

Lawrence's correspondance with Chris Cuomo resulted in Chris specifying that he would look into this matter and wanted people who experienced this failue to call in. If he gets enough people to participate, I think this could force VW to do the right thing as was the case with BMW.

Yes, this issue has my best interest in play as well. I truly do want to start offering these CR TDIs for sale at my dealership and yes, I get boo coo calls for these vehicles and I spend a good amount of time disclosing why I think the prospective customer should consider not acquiring one at this time.

If I wasn't so extremely busy, I would PM each and every person listed on the HPFP Failure Thread and ask that they contact Chris of 20/20 as he requested. I would also like to link some of the many threads and posts here to Chris, especially the nightmare of some dealers blaming these failures on fuel contamination or misfueling. How about the total denial of any issue when people call into VWs customer care center? All this should be disclosed.

I ask any and all who experienced this HPFP issue to please consider contacting Chris Cuomo of ABCs 20/20 at the contact information provided by the OP. Later!

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
If you're interested in some raw data, the spreadsheet Dwiesel and I worked on is here.

Dwiesel and others blame the USA's Diesel fuel supply's lack of lubricity. Just read some threads and you'll formulate your own opinion.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Don, I have been corresponding with Lawrence, the OP. Lawrence works for ABC TV in NYC. He owns a CR TDI and was reading where there have been HPFP failures and is concerned. He called me out of the blue and we discussed the issue. He is quite concerned and has decided to alert Chris Cuomo who happens to be with ABCs 20/20. Chris was instrumental in reporting the similar issue BMW had awhile back and soon thereafter BMW capitulated and initiated a total recall campaign.
[....snip]
**subscribed**

Would love to see this problem get put "under the microscope" vis a vis an investigative news story so we can understand how widespread it really is and see how VW reacts to increased visibility and scrutiny, I suspect with their lofty sales goals for TDI's in the US market that they won't ignore it if it's a real problem and everybody knows it. I'll log a call to Mr. Cuomo this week.

Get's bowl of popcorn.

Last edited:

Maine12

TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6M-sold
Yes, this is a serious problem, but we should still speak facts.

HPFP is not a plastic part.

HPFP warranty is 60k, not 36k.

Is all the secondary damage covered after 36000 miles, such as the CR, injectors, fuel lines ,tank ect. If so great, If not your still looking at a hefty repair bill.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
Other than "I contacted Chris Cuomo, here is the number" what new information is here and why can't this be added to any of the umpteen million other HPFP threads?

We really don't need any more of these bombastic screeds, so I vote for a thread delete here. Maybe add the Cuomo contact issue somewhere, or at least delete all the "VW are jerks" diatribes and stick to (useful) facts.

(Note: I am not suggesting VW aren't necessarily jerks; we just don't need to go around and around on that any further.)

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
eventually have there pump break particles an ruin the engine costing the customer over $10,000 if its beyond the 36k mi warranty.
It's covered by the powertrain because it's bolted to the engine. But as you said, it's not so much getting a warranty extension (especially since the warranty is sometimes not much more useful than toilet paper), but a real fix so that you're not left holding the ball when the warranty eventually runs out.

Maine12

TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6M-sold
I vote that it not be deleted because the new news is a possible way to get more visibly to this on going problem.

Maine12

TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6M-sold
It's covered by the powertrain because it's bolted to the engine. But as you said, it's not so much getting a warranty extension (especially since the warranty is sometimes not much more useful than toilet paper), but a real fix so that you're not left holding the ball when the warranty eventually runs out.
The pump is covered but not necessary all the other components that need to be replaced?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
You never know what is and is not covered by VW. They go by what the dealers tell them and if the dealer says you screwed up the car, VW throws their hands in the air and gives you a big "Oh well". If it takes contacting WABC to get the ball rolling, oh well. Keep the thread open.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
Hmmm...let's see what will happen:

Chris Cuomo on the phone to VW: I'm calling to get your side of the story about the HPFP problems in TDI cars...

VW: There is no problem, just internet hysteria and the failure rate of them is no higher than any other component. Nobody has died or been injured due to a car driving in limp mode or stalling out and needing to be towed. If you run a story fanning the flames we'll simply advertise VW, Audi and Porsche on the other networks and pull our ads from ABC.

Chris Cuomo: Sorry to have bothered you.

In other words, their advertising budget will quash any story about a car that isn't killing people. And killing a lot of people. Toyota's sticking gas pedals only got publicized once that guy in California who had his car go out of control on TV with fatalities and the 911 call was taped and broadcast. Even then I am sure the networks knew they were jeopardized losing them as advertisers, but as soon as one blinked they all covered it because they knew then Toyota had no alternative but to address it and, after all, they couldn't pull ads from every network.

The bottom line is: people aren't dying because of this and no network will risk losing literally millions in ad revenues to "blow the lid off of" a few hundred cars needing repairs. If you think there is still a "wall" between journalism and advertising in TV you are living in a fantasy world. TV news is just like any other entertainment show on the tube and the networks need accounts like VW. Sorry to be such a realist.

Last edited:

Harvieux

TDI
Hmmm...let's see what will happen:

Chris Cuomo on the phone to VW: I'm calling to get your side of the story about the HPFP problems in TDI cars...

VW: There is no problem, just internet hysteria and the failure rate of them is no higher than any other component. Nobody has died or been injured due to a car driving in limp mode or stalling out and needing to be towed. If you run a story fanning the flames we'll simply advertise VW, Audi and Porsche on the other networks and pull our ads from ABC.

Chris Cuomo: Sorry to have bothered you.

In other words, their advertising budget will quash any story about a car that isn't killing people. And killing a lot of people. Toyota's sticking gas pedals only got publicized once that guy in California who had his car go out of control on TV with fatalities and the 911 call was taped and broadcast. Even then I am sure the networks knew they were jeopardized losing them as advertisers, but as soon as one blinked they all covered it because they knew then Toyota had no alternative but to address it and, after all, they couldn't pull ads from every network.

The bottom line is: people aren't dying because of this and no network will risk losing literally millions in ad revenues to "blow the lid off of" a few hundred cars needing repairs. If you think there is still a "wall" between journalism and advertising in TV you are living in a fantasy world. TV news is just like any other entertainment show on the tube and the networks need accounts like VW. Sorry to be such a realist.
Yup, there were several people who perished in the BMW HPFP issue before Chris Cuomo of ABCs 20/20 did the story, eh?:rolleyes:

I clearly posted credible reasons in my post above as to why I think this issue is bigger than what some here tend to believe. I can only hope that those here who do not think this is a problem will be honest enough or should I say, have the gonads to post here if their HPFP does happen to grenade.

Would it be too much to ask for those participating in this thread to keep their postings geared towards the original intent of promoting ways to force aknowledgement in hopes that a resolution may be forthcoming? Yes, this includes myself from here on out.;) Later!

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Does Chris have an email aDdress, I would like to show my support for a story without having to "waste" his time as I have not had a failiure yet (knock on wood).

Thanks

Zimm

TDI
2006 TDI Sold. 2011 JSW.
I agree with the e-mail route. I don't need to talk to Chris because I don't even own one. However I would like to show my support on this issue.

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Enough

Judging by his/her posts, I really doubt this person works for ABC News. Absent that, is there any new information here other than someone thinking they have a plastic fuel pump, which hasn't yet given them a problem?

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
Has anyone seen a recent report of an HPFP failure where VW denied payment for the repairs? It seems that the frequency of reported failures certainly hasn't increased and the number of people screaming about being denied coverage has ceased to exist - unless I am missing some posts.

Maybe this issue is working its way out now and what we had was a relatively small number of pumps which were defective and failed and the balance aren't at an abnormally high risk of failure? Also, it could be that more and more of us are using additives which help prevent the failures if they are lubricity related. Whatever the reason, I would think that if this problem persisted we would see more and more complaints every month and not fewer.

quietpeen

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Has anyone seen a recent report of an HPFP failure where VW denied payment for the repairs? It seems that the frequency of reported failures certainly hasn't increased and the number of people screaming about being denied coverage has ceased to exist - unless I am missing some posts.

Maybe this issue is working its way out now and what we had was a relatively small number of pumps which were defective and failed and the balance aren't at an abnormally high risk of failure? Also, it could be that more and more of us are using additives which help prevent the failures if they are lubricity related. Whatever the reason, I would think that if this problem persisted we would see more and more complaints every month and not fewer.
what additives are you using? How much do additives cost? If you have a hpfp failure while using additives which VW doesn't say you should use can they tell that you used additives?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what additives are you using? How much do additives cost? If you have a hpfp failure while using additives which VW doesn't say you should use can they tell that you used additives?
:D Do a search. This is yet another topic that has been beaten to death!

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
The pump is covered but not necessary all the other components that need to be replaced?
I believe the rule of thumb is that all damage caused by a "warranty-covered" part to non-covered parts will be covered. But, damage caused by a non-covered part to a "warranty-covered" part will not be covered including the "warranty-covered" part.

Harvieux

TDI

How about my customer BillT? He had his first full blown HPFP failure which was "blamed" on him topping off with gas at 20K miles (A whole nother topic of whether such an accident should result in such a catastrophe). He just experienced his second HPFP failure at 77K miles and is currently in the "will it be covered" negotiations stage.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305987

If this is not a great example of a ticking time bomb scenario, enlighten me otherwise. :rolleyes:

nhdoc, I do respect your positive spin on this matter and only hope your asumptions are correct for the good of all. Even if your assumptions are due to VW not questioning current failures and just quickly repairing them to quell exposure. Even if this was the case, we must not cease our vigilant quest for answers. I mean afterall, 60K kinda comes and goes pretty quickly for some of us, eh?;) Later!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
What cars have a HPFP? Bluetec, 6 cyl, BMW, 4 cyl, CR, or just 2009-11 4 cyl diesel?

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Search for "lubricity" and "HPFP" and prepare for a couple hours of reading. :D You can look in my sig to see what I do as a precaution.