Malone Vs Jeff Stevenson Tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletmoose

TDI
2012 Jetta 6MT Malone 1.5 ST Coils
I had a Malone on my last CR TDi. Picked up a 13 JSW and it’s about time to tune it. I’ve seen stuff around for Jeff. Pros, Cons to each ?

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
Different Jeff.
I've heard that in the past, but haven't seen where this happened. Can you point it out? He addressed the allegation that Malone had said he stole their tune but also said that they never came forward with proof. I'm just wondering if there was ever any proof. Just asking, and not trying to start any issues.

I honestly have his tune, and I'm thrilled with it. I've never tried another, so I don't have a basis to compare.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
What proof do you want, 2 hex files side by side? Would you be able to tell the difference when looking at hex? That's where it makes it difficult for the end user to tell the difference. A tune like yours would have started off as a similar tune then modified slightly to work with your specific configuration, even I can do that(and that's essentially how I ended up with my current Passat tune, but legitimately).

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
What proof do you want, 2 hex files side by side? Would you be able to tell the difference when looking at hex? That's where it makes it difficult for the end user to tell the difference. A tune like yours would have started off as a similar tune then modified slightly to work with your specific configuration, even I can do that(and that's essentially how I ended up with my current Passat tune, but legitimately).
Well you got pissed quick. Wouldn't most tunes start as a "base" and move forward based on the differences of our specific configuration?
Without proof, viable proof, it appears as though it is just hearsay. Can you provide the two files that are alleged to be the same hex files? Can you point out to where this occurred, or again is it just people saying things without proof?
I DO have the ability to tell the difference between looking at two hex files, even I can do that. There are folks on Facebook (ones that you'll say are fanboys, or something to that nature) that have tried both tunes with the ALH and say Jeff's are better. At the end of the day, I'm happy with my tune. I'm sure you're happy with yours as well. Have a great day, and rest of the weekend.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Well you got pissed quick. Wouldn't most tunes start as a "base" and move forward based on the differences of our specific configuration?
Without proof, viable proof, it appears as though it is just hearsay. Can you provide the two files that are alleged to be the same hex files? Can you point out to where this occurred, or again is it just people saying things without proof?
I DO have the ability to tell the difference between looking at two hex files, even I can do that. There are folks on Facebook (ones that you'll say are fanboys, or something to that nature) that have tried both tunes with the ALH and say Jeff's are better. At the end of the day, I'm happy with my tune. I'm sure you're happy with yours as well. Have a great day, and rest of the weekend.
It's funny how emotions transmit through the internet :D

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It's funny how emotions transmit through the internet :D
Say I didn't take it as you being pissed. But people will think what they want to.

Bsck to the original question from OP, I've heard good things from both, so it's dealers choice. Malone has vendors who can do the flash, IIRC Rocketchip you have to mail in your ecm, I don't think he offers a flash option. Course I could be mistaken.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I have been referred by Malone to use rocket chip since he is close to me instead going thru Malone. So if there was beef I don’t think there is anymore.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been referred by Malone to use rocket chip since he is close to me instead going thru Malone. So if there was beef I don’t think there is anymore.
I believe these are two different Jeffs. One from Rocket Chip and one from TDI Ecu Tuning.

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I believe these are two different Jeffs. One from Rocket Chip and one from TDI Ecu Tuning.

Yes i am not jeff from rocket chip lol

in the facebook group i posted proof side by a malone cookie cutter alh tune and my tune nothing is the same this all started because i edited a tune for a guy,

this tuner vs tuner stuff is getting old pick who ever you want to pick and move on.

bulletmoose

TDI
Yes i am not jeff from rocket chip lol

in the facebook group i posted proof side by a malone cookie cutter alh tune and my tune nothing is the same this all started because i edited a tune for a guy,

this tuner vs tuner stuff is getting old pick who ever you want to pick and move on.
I wasn’t trying to go tuner against tuner. I didn’t know anything about the past. I had Malone in the past with no issues, I’d seen your stuff come up on FB and was looking for a comparison. I should have reached out to you directly first( I did send you a FB DM).

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI w/alh auto
I have seen both of their tunes in hex and they are completely different! not only I have seen both of Jeff Stevenson’s tunes in hex and Malone’s. but I have also driven both of their cars and they drive completely differently. That rumour was started as a way for Malone to stifle competition which imho is sad. People love tdis and they should be able to choose whoever they decide to choose without false accusations being spread. I can’t in good faith install a Malone tune on my customers car because I have no support when I do and routinely need it. That’s just how I operate I wouldn’t put anything on anyone car I wouldn’t put on my own.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen both of their tunes in hex and they are completely different! not only I have seen both of Jeff Stevenson’s tunes in hex and Malone’s. but I have also driven both of their cars and they drive completely differently. That rumour was started as a way for Malone to stifle competition which imho is sad.
AWESOME! Hopefully that puts people to rest and stops these rumors that are apparently based on hearsay and garbage.

Last edited:

bulletmoose

TDI
I have seen both of their tunes in hex and they are completely different! not only I have seen both of Jeff Stevenson’s tunes in hex and Malone’s. but I have also driven both of their cars and they drive completely differently. That rumour was started as a way for Malone to stifle competition which imho is sad. People love tdis and they should be able to choose whoever they decide to choose without false accusations being spread. I can’t in good faith install a Malone tune on my customers car because I have no support when I do and routinely need it. That’s just how I operate I wouldn’t put anything on anyone car I wouldn’t put on my own.
So here is the info I’m looking for. How are they different ? Is one tune that much stronger, better ?

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI w/alh auto
To be precise Malones tune makes a little more torque between the ranges of 1800 and 2000 RPM after that Jeff’s Torque continues to climb and hold steady across 1900-2800 rpm while Malone’s quickly drops off. Also Malone’s Tune seems to lose power around 3600 rpm where Jeff’s just keeps on going. And Jeff’s makes more horsepower by a bit. But the real difference isin the support. I could get a hold of Jeff anytime and he would fix things right away. every time I got a hold of Malone which took a while usually I was told it was the cars fault then eventually after I proved it wasn’t, it took a week to even get a reply. I have used many other tuners with even worse results though.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
But the real difference isin the support. I could get a hold of Jeff anytime and he would fix things right away.
This right here is why I went with Jeff as well. I talked with Kerma and Malone prior to finding Jeff. Kerma was very friendly, but I think their stuff is way too expensive. Plus they advertise military discount, but when I asked for it they didn't give it to me; stating that the items I wanted were already priced so low that they couldn't sell it to me. I spoke with Malone via email, and the responses I received were very limited, and just didn't give me the warm and fuzzy.

Jeff and I talked for a long time on Facebook, and we even talked on the phone. He pointed me to my turbo and injectors, and has given me advice all the way. I will continue to use him, and his advice, as long as I have the car.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Say I didn't take it as you being pissed. But people will think what they want to.
Bsck to the original question from OP, I've heard good things from both, so it's dealers choice. Malone has vendors who can do the flash, IIRC Rocketchip you have to mail in your ecm, I don't think he offers a flash option. Course I could be mistaken.
RocketChip is not involved in this discussion. This is Jeff Stevenson, NOT Jeff Robertson. You are correct, however, that RocketChip does not do flash tunes. You either send in your ECU, or get your tune in person. The latter is great, as Jeff can check out your car and offer advice. He's a great guy.

bulletmoose

TDI
To be precise Malones tune makes a little more torque between the ranges of 1800 and 2000 RPM after that Jeff’s Torque continues to climb and hold steady across 1900-2800 rpm while Malone’s quickly drops off. Also Malone’s Tune seems to lose power around 3600 rpm where Jeff’s just keeps on going. And Jeff’s makes more horsepower by a bit. But the real difference isin the support. I could get a hold of Jeff anytime and he would fix things right away. every time I got a hold of Malone which took a while usually I was told it was the cars fault then eventually after I proved it wasn’t, it took a week to even get a reply. I have used many other tuners with even worse results though.
What platform is this for ? I have a CR and looks like most people are ALH

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
RocketChip is not involved in this discussion. This is Jeff Stevenson, NOT Jeff Robertson. You are correct, however, that RocketChip does not do flash tunes. You either send in your ECU, or get your tune in person. The latter is great, as Jeff can check out your car and offer advice. He's a great guy.
I didn't know the difference between the two Jeff's, and it wasn't clarified until after I posted. The more you know.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I had never heard of Jeff Stevenson until today.....that’s cool that there is another tuner out there I will stick with Jeff Robertson!

MTDewX8

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sel 6m
as I weed through the Jeff's and Malone/Rocket ship tunes info.

Im new to the site and TDI as I just purchased a 2015 hatch 6m and was curious is it to soon to get a tune? or should I wait a little bit to get the car broke in. still searching for that mileage still.

side note is I bought it this Oct with only 450 miles on it and it now has 1900 as it my commuter.

thanks and go easy on the hazing for a noob question. Im still searching when I can.

MTDewX8

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sel 6m
A 2015 with only 450miles?!?!?
Yes I know its crazy. which is why I bought it. I can drive it a year or two and it will still be low miles. haha.

just a commute car, but if I can get more fun out of it and still maintain fuel mileage I might consider some things like a tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.