Best Diesel Fuel Additive?

FATCAT

Veteran Member
What do you folks think is the best diesel additive for the cold?
- Amsoil
- Standyne
- Powerservice
- Other .....

I currently use Powerservice for my truck. Just curious if it would be good stuff for the little VW diesel.

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been using (120K + miles) Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement and have switched to Diesel Kleen about a year ago and have been happy with their products. I mix at the double dose rate (150 gals diesel = 96 ozs. (3.1 gals to 2 ozs.). I have checked my mileage with and without additive and I get 1 more mile per gallon with additive, so it pays for itself. I also get a better running TDI.

Boundless

BANNED
Stanadyne Performance Formula

The Amsoil stuff is made for Amsoil by Stanadyne. The PowerService stuff, last I knew, was mostly diesel fuel.

The Stanadyne Perf. Formula is built on a base of lube oil/cleaner/solvents, with appropriate additives for the other properties.

[ January 22, 2003, 15:06: Message edited by: Boundless ]

S

SkyPup

Originally posted by professor:
If you add 1 gallon of #1 diesel per 10 of fuel, it will increase your mileage ~10%.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In reality it will decrease your fuel mileage by at least 10%.

loggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf-02-Indigo Blue
I have found FPPF Total Power very nice to work with...

Total Power is a combination of the technology of Fuel Power, Polar Power, Diesel Injector Cleaner, Cetane 8+, and includes a lubricity additive.

Contains Fuel Power
Lowers CFPP
Contains anti-gel
Lowers pour point
Cleans injectors
Raises cetane
Meets L-10
Meets A.S.T.M. B.O.C.L.E.
Meets N-14
Contains No Alcohols!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

"We produce complete premium diesel packages in addition to products designed to address specific fuel deficiencies. Our fuel treatment products correct such deficiencies as poor storage stability, low cetane, inadequate cold temperature handling and filterability, microorganism infestation, insufficient detergency or lubricity and water contamination. We have products for diesel fuel, bunker fuel, home-heating oil and gasoline. We offer products that will de-wax or de-ice, we have a tetraethyl lead substitute for older off-road gasoline engines and even a unique and exclusive lubricity agent made from a blend of three renewable agricultural products."

link to .pdf for Primrose #405

*This is a fuel additive that contains a water emulsifer.

*Primrose #409 is the winter version of #405.

loggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf-02-Indigo Blue
Primerose how much a bottle? Could you please advise who sells it?.....FPPF told me, " Fuel Power, Polar Power, Total Power, and several of our other fuel additives contain a water dispersant that completely gets rid of water, by turning it into a combustible substance that can be burned along with the rest of the fuel. No further water removal is necessary.
"

[ January 22, 2003, 18:56: Message edited by: loggin ]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
loggin, I purchased a case directly from Primrose. It is about $3.50 or so per bottle. 1 bottle is good for 12 Jetta fillups so that case I have is a lifetime supply.
The stuff is very concentrated.

You can check in with George Morrison over at avlube.com. He had suggested they were going to start selling it again.

FPPF and Primrose both deal with water by means of an emulsifier.

DIESEL ON!! and may your fuel be dry without relying upon your OE "water separator"!

bwc

I use John Deere Premium Diesel Fuel Conditioner Product # TY16231. They have winter formula and summer formula. Use it all year long.

professor

Veteran Member
When I said adding 1 gallon #1 per 10 gallons of fuel will increase your mileage `10%, I'm using the usual computation where you don't count the additive as part of the burned fuel in your mileage computation.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by A. Meyer:
Doesn't PS also use an emulsifier?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Andy, no. Primrose and FPPF are the only two products I know of that contain an emulsifier. The other mainstream fuel additives work with demulsifiers and assume you have a good and functional water separator that you are draining/checking
on a regular basis.

A. Meyer

Veteran Member
Well, I'll have to look around for the products that contain the emulsifier. Do you know of any chains that sell either product?
The deemulsifier sounds like a bad idea if you get a lot of water.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by A. Meyer:
Do you know of any chains that sell either product?
The deemulsifier sounds like a bad idea if you get a lot of water.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think you will find th FPPF or Primrose at the consumer level. avlube.com was going to start offering the Primrose again since there has been so much interest in this ongoing "to emulsify or demulsify" debate.

No fuel additive is going to keep you out of BIG ($$$$) trouble should you get significant water.

loggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf-02-Indigo Blue
Maybe the folks @ F P P F can help folks in your area 'find' their products? Here's the distro list: locations of FPPF folks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Service
fppf@buffnet.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FPPF
Chemical Company, Inc.
117 W. Tupper Street
Buffalo, New York
14201-2193

Tel: 716-856-9607
Fax: 716-856-0750

not an advertisment

[ January 23, 2003, 19:44: Message edited by: loggin ]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by loggin:
It is about $3.50 or so per bottle......is that 32oz.?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">loggin, the 405 additive (summer product) is packaged in 12oz bottles. The usage ratio is 1:2000. The 409 additive (winter product) is packaged in 32oz bottles. The usage ratio is 1:1000. The case of 405 I purchased consists of 24 X 12oz bottles.

These products are highly concentrated, industrial-strength if I may, and appear to be doing a great job in my cars so far.

[ January 24, 2003, 04:42: Message edited by: dieseldorf ]

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I use a 50/50 mixture of Marvel Mystery Oil and Baby Vomit. The only problem is that the chunks tend to clog the fuel lines and filter.

loggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf-02-Indigo Blue
Originally posted by WOOCHOW:
I use a 50/50 mixture of Marvel Mystery Oil and Baby Vomit. The only problem is that the chunks tend to clog the fuel lines and filter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reflux
If your otherwise healthy baby throws up right after eating or out of the blue, chances are, gastroesophageal reflux disorder is to blame. Reflux is when the muscle between your child's esophagus and stomach isn't working properly, allowing stomach contents to gurgle up into the throat. Although he can't tell you about it, your baby may also have an upset tummy and feel burning or irritation in his throat and chest. The problem will probably disappear by his first birthday, when the muscle gets stronger.

solution?........do an EGR adaptation

underworld

Is anyone familiar with Red Line diesel additive?
A friend of mine gave me a bottle to try. The company he works for uses it in all of their trucks and equipment, he says they have never had a freezing problem.

loggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf-02-Indigo Blue
find where to buy FPPF

Provides more power.
Increases ignition quality.
Increases MPG.
Reduces engine vibration.
Cleans injectors.
Lubricates entire fuel system.
Increases combustion
Reduces emissions.
Stabilizes fuel.
Prevents tank corrosion.
Prevents acids from forming.
Removes tank condensation.
Controls bacteria growth.
Reduces down time.
Reduces maintenance costs.
Enhances low-sulfur fuel. <--when you have it..?
Provides faster warm-ups.
Meets L-10 & N-14 specs.

TOTAL POWER:
===========
Contains Fuel Power
Lowers CFPP
Contains anti-gel
Lowers pour point
Cleans injectors
Raises cetane
Meets L-10
Meets A.S.T.M. B.O.C.L.E.
Meets N-14
Contains No Alcohols!

[ January 25, 2003, 13:45: Message edited by: loggin ]

jeangreg

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg 2012 Highline Sport package
EZOIL no question is the best stuff.....rare but so efficient.....made in the USA Buffalo .

www.ezoil.com

Live in Canada...178.000 km never frozen a single time.....try to mix water with powerservice in a glass of water and do the same with Ezoil and you will understand why I have said it's the best stuff around.....

godlike242

Veteran Member
Originally posted by underworld:
Is anyone familiar with Red Line diesel additive?
A friend of mine gave me a bottle to try. The company he works for uses it in all of their trucks and equipment, he says they have never had a freezing problem.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">redline 85+? it's not cheap, but the car seems to like it..