2013 Mercedes Benz GLK 2.1L Diesel for North America

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Base List price is posted at $43.5K, $1.4K less than the Gasser

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content...sCGl2MzlagN7Ja0QEW:16pcrf94u#motorisation_tag

Finally a smaller 2.1L Litre Diesel in an SUV in North America

2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK Diesel Confirmed For Fall

16/01/2012 | By: Luke Vandezande 2 Comments

Mercedes-Benz is moving even more into the U.S. consumer diesel market by offering a diesel GLK later this year.
The CUV will sell under the 2013 model year, probably with a 2.1-liter diesel engine making 204 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. The engine, which is already approved under U.S. emissions standards, is almost a third smaller than what the company offers in the rest of its diesel lineup: the E, S, M, R and GL Class models. The news about Mercedes’ latest diesel decision was confirmed to Automotive News at the recent Detroit Auto Show. The new GLK will come with a host of new features and smoother lines than the previous model (pictured above).
Diesel engines are proving to be a popular choice for German auto manufacturers. Volkswagen has long been known for offering a diesel variant on many of their cars. Porsche, which they own, will also be sending a diesel Cayenne stateside. BMW also already sells a diesel 3-Series and X5.
Thanks to higher compression ratios, cars burning diesel can offer significantly better mileage, and have especially noticeable torque. That means they pull hard from a stop sign or traffic light. The downside is that they have a relatively low top speed and comparatively weak horsepower, though neither of those things are particularly relevant to most daily drivers. The only other problem is that diesel is more expensive than gasoline, lightly offsetting the cost-to-benefit ratio.
Nonetheless, Mercedes is proving that they have faith in the technology and so far that faith seems well founded. They are expecting sales figures for the GLK to reach the “high 30′s” compared to last year’s 24,310 units, according to Mercedes’ U.S. chief Steve Cannon.
[Source: Automotive News]

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I my experience, the 204hp version of the OM651 serves up 6-cylinder-like torque with 6-cylinder-like fuel economy. (6.9L/100km over a few weeks of quick Autobahn driving in an E-Calss wagon)

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Does this mean that VW will finally put a TDI in a Tiguan in the US?

I friggin' hope so.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Does this mean that VW will finally put a TDI in a Tiguan in the US?

I friggin' hope so.
Too late for me, but I needed a little better towing than a Tiguan had. The liberty was a good fit (tows 5,000lbs) a little better MPG would be nice :)

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder how much it will cost in Canada, I had to go to the US to get my ML320 CDI as prices in Canada were much higher.

Dweisel, I bought my ML in St Clairsville Ohio and drove it back to Canada thru Wheeling, WV

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I don't know what models of GLK are available in Canada, but here is the complete German market range to see where the 4-cylinder diesels are priced compared to the sixes.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep,same dealership we purchased our 87 Jeep diesel at. Thomas Jeep. Great people. How come you had to come so far south?
It was a great price and had lots of options not even listed by Thomas Garage e.g. Nav, Illuminated door sills, sports package, ipod cable, parktronic. These trucks are much more expensive in Canada.

They were really friendly and accomodating dealership willing to help with all the paperwork for export.

Did you see the truck on the lot when they had it? Previous owner lived in Martins Ferry and traded it for a Jeep Cherokee.

Had a great T bone steak dinner at the local steakhouse on Main St too.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
It was a great price and had lots of options not even listed by Thomas Garage e.g. Nav, Illuminated door sills, sports package, ipod cable, parktronic. These trucks are much more expensive in Canada.

They were really friendly and accomodating dealership willing to help with all the paperwork for export.

Did you see the truck on the lot when they had it? Previous owner lived in Martins Ferry and traded it for a Jeep Cherokee.

Had a great T bone steak dinner at the local steakhouse on Main St too.
Glad you found Thomas to be a good dealer to do business with and the dinner to your liking. No I did not see the ML when it was at the dealership.

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Yikes.. 50k!

Hate to say it, but I don't think a nicely equipped Tiggy TDI would come in a whole lot less than that. I'd still rather spend money on the VW, but it's nice that there will be a option now.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
$50k for a 3.5V6 gasser loaded , a little over $36k for the entry one most times a diesel

I looked at a VW Touareg TDI this weekend to replace my Land Rover and it was $60k a ML Bluetec is $6k cheaper

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Please Explain

$50k for a 3.5V6 gasser loaded , a little over $36k for the entry one most times a diesel

I looked at a VW Touareg TDI this weekend to replace my Land Rover and it was $60k. An ML Bluetec is $6k cheaper
:)

Are you saying that you think the new GLK diesel bare bones will be only 'a little over $36K?'

Based on your current sedan, wouldn't you prefer the ML Bluetec? :confused:

Perhaps you should wait until the GLK diesel is at the dealer?

:D

Derrel

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
:)
Are you saying that you think the new GLK diesel bare bones will be only 'a little over $36K?'
Highly unlikely... In Germany, the base diesel is indeed 36k€ while the 350 gasser is 50 grand... but in Germany, the base diesel is a RWD, manual transmission, 143-hp GLK 200. The American diesel will be the 250 Bluetec, which costs 46 grand in Europe with 4motion and an automatic transmission. So 8% less than a comparable gasser.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
So where do I get a G-wagon diesel?
All the ones that where imported before MB started importing them have been trashed or the ones I have seen have been.
I would also like a Defender 110 diesel!!
The gasser 110 I drove was nice but they are running around $75 USD for a 1993.

The little GLk well is nice but a Honda CRV came to mind.
On the pricing here I would bet we will get two motors one gas and one diesel the GLK with the diesel will be the cheap one what ever that will cost but the add said a little over $36.

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I would also like a Defender 110 diesel!!
The gasser 110 I drove was nice but they are running around $75 USD for a 1993.
Whoa, that's crazy. New Defenders only come in diesel, and they are priced 1000-2000€ lower than a Jeep Wrangler (which has more power than a Defender). A brand new base Defender 90 goes for a bit under 23,000€ (MSRP), a 110 is about 27,000€. You can get them at about 18% off MSRP, so a brand new Defender 110 could be had for about 30k USD in Germany. A 1993 for 75k? Who would pay that?

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
For that matter, you could bring in a 1987 (or even a 1988 that was built in 1987) right now.

That counts for the G-Wagen, too. Of course, that means you're stuck with an old IDI engine...

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats just it I would like a new diesel , G-wagon or D-110.
Here in North America the U.S. got the D-110 for one year and a total of 500 and Canada got 25 all 3.9L V8 not any more so how many are left and how much can they be sold for?
I like the diesel as I would not have to carry fuel can's with me , some times there are no filling stations where I go.
Most new SUV's are anything but SUV's they are tall cars.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
This is more hopeful!

It also gives a bit more insight into eventual pricing:
the bigger news is the GLK250 BlueTec diesel, available in the U.S. only with 4MATIC four-wheel drive. With a debut set for early 2013, the diesel’s pricing hasn’t been announced, but Mercedes execs hinted that it should slot in above the base rear-drive GLK350 ($37,995) and below the GLK350 4MATIC ($39,995).

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Confirmed with a contact i have at a Benz dealership, the model ordering and options list is available for sales representatives to discuss with customers, in their systems. No pricing available but everything else.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
From mbusa:

Thank you for your email and your patronage.

Our 2013 GLK250 BlueTEC has an anticipated launch date of April 30th 2013. We apologize if an expectation of delivery before that date was given.
-------------

And dealer allocations are thin! Other than the one I've had on order since late
summer, the dealer is getting two others.