TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   New Owner, 2012 Sportwagon... The Journey starts! (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495251)

KeyTDI November 11th, 2019 07:32

Quick update:
Did the rear brakes.
The Harbor Freight brake caliper piston kit worked great and was $35 out the door with the 20% off coupon.
The Zimmerman Rotors and Akebono pads bedded in after 20 miles and feel fine.
Changed the oil again 4400 miles yesterday, as I thought I was driving it to Az today, and will be loaded up with 4 adults and luggage.....
Noticed evidence of a slight oil leak which I photographed, for investigation, but the oil change went smoothly. Tiny bit of fuzz on the drain plug magnet, but fine. Oil will go out to Blackstone for analysis.
However, I suddenly noticed that the inside shoulder of the front tires is wearing badly, and Iím not comfortable with them. There is no tread left for the inner inch or so, but no threads showing yet.
I will leave the VW at home and take our Mercedes ML Bluetec instead.

Will post pics later.
Anyone have experience with inner tire wear on these VWs, and is it normally just alignment or should I check for wear anywhere?

prsa01 November 11th, 2019 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyTDI (Post 5550208)
Quick update:
Did the rear brakes.
The Harbor Freight brake caliper piston kit worked great and was $35 out the door with the 20% off coupon.
The Zimmerman Rotors and Akebono pads bedded in after 20 miles and feel fine.
Changed the oil again 4400 miles yesterday, as I thought I was driving it to Az today, and will be loaded up with 4 adults and luggage.....
Noticed evidence of a slight oil leak which I photographed, for investigation, but the oil change went smoothly. Tiny bit of fuzz on the drain plug magnet, but fine. Oil will go out to Blackstone for analysis.
However, I suddenly noticed that the inside shoulder of the front tires is wearing badly, and I’m not comfortable with them. There is no tread left for the inner inch or so, but no threads showing yet.
I will leave the VW at home and take our Mercedes ML Bluetec instead.
Will post pics later.
Anyone have experience with inner tire wear on these VWs, and is it normally just alignment or should I check for wear anywhere?

My earlier gen vws did seem to wear the tire insides more than outsides, at least in the front. Haven't noticed on this one yet. Don't have a solution for you. Someone will know if that points to toe-in or whatever.

Rockeye November 13th, 2019 13:46

The insides of my tires wore down way faster. I actually didn't notice how bad they were worn until I changed out my front brakes. Pulled the first tire off and not only could see the obvious wear (something the VA state inspection should have caught before the vehicle was sold) but the major cupping. You didn't even have to run your hands across the contact patch it was that bad. 4 new Falken Pro G5 Sports later and the car drives way better than I could have imagined.

The Tec at the tire shop noted that German cars tend to have a little more negative camber to help provide a "sportier" ride. Its believable, but I tend to take the advice of people selling me something with a grain of salt.

Geordi November 13th, 2019 15:37

The tire tech at your shop wasn't wrong - I had one show me that the control arms on my 03 TDI that should have had slots to adjust the camber... Were ROUND and that the camber was basically locked in from the factory. He said that there wasn't really anything he could do, that he could adjust the toe and align the tires that way, but if they started cupping that rotation was really the only cure for most German cars.

That car never really got severe with the cupping, but I had two other TDIs that did. I'm not normally that religious about the tire rotation on my other cars, but I had to be on those two.

Rockeye November 13th, 2019 18:30

I drive about 3500 miles a month. Guess im gonna have to get religious about the tire changes. Thankfully that tire shop does free tire balances and rotations as long as I have the car.

KeyTDI November 15th, 2019 16:48

Ok, will report back on what I find.

Silly question...
My Son has a 2016 Audi Allroad, with 20k miles on it... and he put Porsche front brakes on recently...
So he has some good rotors/calipers/pads from his car up for grabs... and I will be needing rotors and pads soooo.... was wondering if they would fit my VW...???

Geordi November 16th, 2019 19:50

Maybe. Only way to cross something like that is to have a good look at the actual parts.

KeyTDI November 20th, 2019 16:23

Looked and found his calipers are large single piston and mine look like twin pistons. Then measured the stock rotors at 312mm, his are 320mm.
Not gonna happen.

Ok, so my VW started to do something odd this week.
Stopped locking and unlocking from the key remote. Also when I open the door, it’s chiming at me, but no info about why from the MFI.
Anyone have any knowledge?

bizzle November 20th, 2019 17:11

Change the battery if it's not new and see if that resolves the issue.

crashtested November 21st, 2019 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyTDI (Post 5552499)
Looked and found his calipers are large single piston and mine look like twin pistons. Then measured the stock rotors at 312mm, his are 320mm.
Not gonna happen.

Ok, so my VW started to do something odd this week.
Stopped locking and unlocking from the key remote. Also when I open the door, itís chiming at me, but no info about why from the MFI.
Anyone have any knowledge?




Had something similar on our old 2010 and it was one of the rear door lock modules that had to be replaced. The "Lock" indicator for that door would not light up nor would it lock even though the alarm would be set.

KeyTDI November 29th, 2019 11:02

Update:
Changed the Key battery and it seems to have cured it!

KeyTDI December 14th, 2019 14:41

Confirming that the key Battery must have been the issue, as it has not happened since...


Blackstone report came in, looks good, but not perfect.


Will post the whole thing for reference, but here is the lab's comments..


Your engine looks pretty good in this second report. Aluminum and chrome are fine next to averages so we aren't seeing as much piston or ring wear, but iron is actually higher on a per-mile basis, showing more steel wear than last time.

It may look lower at face value, but iron should be a little lower since averages are based on about 8,800 miles. We'll just watch it from here. The viscosity was a little low
and there was some fuel (1.0%), but neither is problematic at these levels. Small amounts of fuel are often
from normal use. Feel free to use this oil if you like it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE December 14th, 2019 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyTDI (Post 5557521)
Confirming that the key Battery must have been the issue, as it has not happened since...


Blackstone report came in, looks good, but not perfect.


Will post the whole thing for reference, but here is the lab's comments..


Your engine looks pretty good in this second report. Aluminum and chrome are fine next to averages so we aren't seeing as much piston or ring wear, but iron is actually higher on a per-mile basis, showing more steel wear than last time.

It may look lower at face value, but iron should be a little lower since averages are based on about 8,800 miles. We'll just watch it from here. The viscosity was a little low
and there was some fuel (1.0%), but neither is problematic at these levels. Small amounts of fuel are often
from normal use. Feel free to use this oil if you like it.

That would be great if you could post a picture of your levels to compare. I just got my kit to sent.

KeyTDI December 15th, 2019 08:26

Will do today if I get a minute.

KeyTDI December 15th, 2019 11:19

Have the PDF file ready, but cant seem to attach or insert it anywhere... :confused:
My posting rules say I cant add attachments... why?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017

Page generated in 0.08664 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 20.06 Kb. compressed to 19.30 Kb. by saving 0.76 Kb. (3.78%)]