2002 Golf tdi brake issue

Blakegolf

TDI
2002 golf tdi
I recently noticed when I apply the brakes there was a clicking/popping noise coming from the left rear. I took the car in and it was due to a warped rotor. The brakes and rotors have about 10k miles on them. I put a new rotor and pads on and while the car was still in the air I spun the tire and I could hear the caliper catching the rotor at the same interval on every spin. I'm assuming this is what caused the warp and the noise. The noise went away when I drive but I know it will warp again. What is causing this?

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I recently noticed when I apply the brakes there was a clicking/popping noise coming from the left rear. I took the car in and it was due to a warped rotor. The brakes and rotors have about 10k miles on them. I put a new rotor and pads on and while the car was still in the air I spun the tire and I could hear the caliper catching the rotor at the same interval on every spin. I'm assuming this is what caused the warp and the noise. The noise went away when I drive but I know it will warp again. What is causing this?
Are the caliper guide pins corrosion-free and lubricated? Is the caliper carrier and hub where the rotor mounts free of rust? Was the tire properly torqued (star-pattern to 89 ft/lbs) when you spun the wheel? Was the wheel's mating surface free of corrosion? It's also possible for the MKIV stub axle or axle beam to become bent, even without a crash. If the rotor you installed was true, and you think it spins out of true, your problem should be evident with a close inspection if installation was meticulous and by-the-book.

Rotors don't really warp, but they can wear unevenly, usually from installation or maintenance shortcuts/something bent...

I will say that my rear brakes work fine and if I have the wheel off the ground the pads do "scrape" against the rotor and the wheel doesn't spin completely freely, but like you say, they should not touch at only one point during the rotation.

Last edited: