TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI (Diesel) Emissions (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2006 Jetta tdi engine Rattle (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492593)

1234vic September 22nd, 2018 10:16

2006 Jetta tdi engine Rattle
 
have a 2006 jetta tdi with 232k miles.

When at idle, I have this awful rattle from the engine compartment.

Could it be the egr cooler failure?

Please click on the link to listen to the rattle:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FhNRmPzcWW1yMmkM7


Please advise.

Dominicdx September 24th, 2018 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1234vic (Post 5442586)
have a 2006 jetta tdi with 232k miles.

When at idle, I have this awful rattle from the engine compartment.

Could it be the egr cooler failure?

Please click on the link to listen to the rattle:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FhNRmPzcWW1yMmkM7


Please advise.


Did you ever find the noise? I think I have the same one

1234vic September 24th, 2018 21:08

Rattle
 
Yes on another forum was suggested that is "dual mass Flywheel", please google this and you will confirm, most likely is the flywheel failure, hope that helps

Dominicdx September 25th, 2018 03:29

Noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1234vic (Post 5443302)
Yes on another forum was suggested that is "dual mass Flywheel", please google this and you will confirm, most likely is the flywheel failure, hope that helps

Did you replace the flywheel?
If so how much did everything cost

1234vic September 25th, 2018 10:28

Rattle
 
No, i have not replaced it yet, i looked for the parts on the net and was anywhere from $250 to $400, dealer wants $800 parts only, i imagine its probably a $700 minimum total. ( $350 for installation?)if you have a private mechanic install, it's a wild guess!
Look at the videos i don't think is that difficult

Dominicdx September 25th, 2018 11:07

Transmission
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1234vic (Post 5443417)
No, i have not replaced it yet, i looked for the parts on the net and was anywhere from $250 to $400, dealer wants $800 parts only, i imagine its probably a $700 minimum total. ( $350 for installation?)if you have a private mechanic install, it's a wild guess!
Look at the videos i don't think is that difficult


Is your automatic or manual?

1234vic September 25th, 2018 14:23

Rattle
 
Auto dsg
Here is a video that will help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jz...ature=youtu.be

andreigbs September 26th, 2018 09:26

I would venture to ask if you know the status of the camshaft and lifters.

BRM engines were notorious for failed cams and lifters, resulting in horrible idling and overall performance.

I would advise a search and read on "PD camshaft wear."

1234vic September 26th, 2018 10:02

Rattle
 
That i don't know,i own the car since 2007 had 10k miles. The motor sounds fine, when i searched for flywheel problems, the rattle on YouTube, that was the same noise.
If the engine is below 1200 rpm, we can hear a knocking sound, the car has 232k miles.
I believe is the flywheel, but thanks for the tip

andreigbs September 30th, 2018 14:06

If it is the DMF, I would tend to it sooner rather than later. If it grenades, it won't be pretty.

And since it's a BRM, I'd take a peek under the valve cover just for my peace of mind.

Good luck.

Dominicdx September 30th, 2018 14:43

Transmission shop said it wasn’t the DMF.
I’m going to delete the EGR Valve & Cooler to start.
Does he valve cover go bad? Or are you just saying to check the internals?

andreigbs October 1st, 2018 12:36

Honestly, deleting emissions-related parts isn't likely to resolve your issue; I'd leave that for later.

What I meant by peeking under the valve cover is examine the valvetrain, especially the camshaft and lifters. Look for worn down or scratched lobes, cracked or spider-web patterns on the lifters. Better yet, take some pics and post here.

The valve cover does not typically go bad, just don't over-tighten the bolts holding it on.

Edit: you may also want to create a link to this post in the "A5 TDI" section, where it will be seen by more folks than here. Cross posting is frowned upon, so you may want to just start a new thread there.

narongc73 October 2nd, 2018 12:14

If you have not ever changed the dmf, that is likely the problem. Have fun changing it :D I have done it twice and switched to manual with a smf instead. :D

1234vic October 23rd, 2018 19:20

Finally replaced Dual Mass Flywheel, parts cost with a few tools $400.

After new install, test drove, findings:
Low power
rough shifting
accelerating from 30 mph car started to Hick up, engine light turned on...

Not Good!!! anyone has this happen to them?

Please help


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017

Page generated in 0.07138 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 13.67 Kb. compressed to 12.94 Kb. by saving 0.73 Kb. (5.34%)]