Hows my cam looking Guru's or.. anyone who can tell cam wear...

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Bora 1.9TDI Audi A4 2.0TDI Sline BMW 530D

thanks for any help guys, sorry about the qualit of the pictures had to take them from an old phone..

whilst i have the rocker cover off, is it wise for me to re-torque my head bolts ?, there pressure in the coolant bottle even before its been started, if so whats the torque rating on these bolts ?

Carl :D

GR40RCapri

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI 5spd auto
Carl,

looks like all the chamfer is there...in the 2nd pic there's a little funk on the end of the right lobe, but, it could be just the picture, as everything looks good to go..

what is the car????

retorque the bolts? how many miles? i don't think it would warrant doing, unless the gasket, etc was recently changed... but up to you. not sure of the torque.

J

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
You are getting micropitting on the lobe tips from excessive wear.

This exposes a rough surface that can damage the lifter tops.

How many miles of w30 oils has this car had?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I saw the pits on the lobe tip as well..

is this car a 2002?

I dont know if I would replace the cam without seeing more damage than what is on that one lobe. do other lobes have that micro pitting showing on the tips? are the chamfers wearing away on any other tips? if so then I would recommend to replace the cam when the timing belt gets done.

if the pits are only on the one lobe, and there are no other signs of wear, I would recommend a good 5w40 oil like the lubro moly or the mobil 1 TDT product and regular inspections for expansion of the wear and decide to replace the cam at a later time. the parts for the ALH arent nearly as expensive as on the PD cars, and if you know what you are doing with the timing belt system, swapping a cam isnt a huge deal on them.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
if that's pitting on one of those tips, replace the cam/lifters ASAP

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
The engine is is a year 2001.5 ALH with 141k
as long as the cam wear wont cause nothing catastrophic in the next 30k, my car has a 30k service history gap..
ill probably only have the car another year..

is it worth re-torquing the bolts?, would this help with the pressure im having in my coolant bottle?

thanks guys

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
carefully inspect your lifters for tiny cracks radiating out from the center of the lifter face....almost looks like the cam lobe tips were dinged by a tb failure or a misinstall...kinda hard to tell from the pics though

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I've seen that cam wear in other ALHs that run their OCI WAY too long. It is usually accompanied by black stains on the rear inside wall of the cylinder head, which will not happen if the OCI is correct and the correct oil is used. As DBW said, a 30 weight oil might also allow this to happen if its film strength is not up to par.

I would not wait 30K, as the cam lobes in that condition can lead to a follower failure. Its a roll of the dice.

Do not re-torque your head bolts. If the pressure in your cooling system builds immediately AFTER startup, then you may have an issue. If you have a head gasket that is already leaking combustion gasses, re-torquing the head will not correct the situation.

-Rich

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
retorquing the head bolts used to be the norm with the very older V diesels that used non TTY bolts . Not needed since 84 or so

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I suggest you jump on that before it gets worse. Mine left intake valve on cylinder 3 stuck closed. Could have been much worse if it stuck open!

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
T- you got your money out of that cam..

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
What other problems might I be looking a with a cam in this condition?,

Big end failue?

Worn piston rings?

Thanks for the input guys

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The lifter will implode, sending metal all over the engine...no big deal, do you trust your screen and oil filter?

Righ now the fix is easy and painless. Nothin more than a 30-40 minute job swapping out some old parts and installing new ones...press on nothing more to worry about.

If you wait, you could drop a valve, take out the head and block costing several thousand pounds not to mention labor and down time.

Right now the fix is CHEAP, at most 300-500 for top notch parts plus a quicky oil change with some good quality 5w40 synthetic.

Last edited:

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah i get the lifter damage, but is there likely to be any other worn parts due to the way overdue OCI ?, if there is then the car will be going to the stealership for PX..

im getting a quote from my local autoparts tommorow for a camshaft, ill check out my local TPS for a price too