Bay Area Meetups?

shetoru

TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI Manual 5 Speed
Hi Everyone,

Would anyone be interested in a social GTG in the Bay Area? No wrenching needed, just to get to know people in the area, or did I arrive to the forums too many years too late?

I know the owner of a great bar in Oakland who could work with us or we can just meet up informally.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
There used to be Spring and Fall GTGs but a few years ago one a$$whole had a hissy fit and filed complaints against a vendor, complained to the owner where the GTGs had met for years, etc., so they were shut down. People would come from all over the West Coast to them. You might get a few locals for just a social meet but not the numbers that used to attend.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
The TDI GTG's we had were great. Only went to a few, and was at the one that "special person" attended.

I like the idea of a run and bench racing, not soo much wrenching.

I used to run with norcalUFO, when I had a 510. Good times!

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5 spd, 03 jetta auto, future ALH Ranger
I'd be down for either. It sounds like there is potential for it to turn into something big again, but maybe just start with something informal?

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
There used to be Spring and Fall GTGs but a few years ago one a$$whole had a hissy fit and filed complaints against a vendor, complained to the owner where the GTGs had met for years, etc., so they were shut down. People would come from all over the West Coast to them. You might get a few locals for just a social meet but not the numbers that used to attend.
Oh man...those were good days Romad...I enjoyed kicking it in the sun for a few hours at those GTG's. I wasn't aware of how/why these GTG's stopped....

Hows the wagon treating you? I just fixed a boost leak on my lower intercooler pipe and now it drives pretty good...not perfect...but way better than before.

I'd love to come to a GTG...I haven't seen some of y'all in 3/4 years.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh man...those were good days Romad...I enjoyed kicking it in the sun for a few hours at those GTG's. I wasn't aware of how/why these GTG's stopped....

Hows the wagon treating you? I just fixed a boost leak on my lower intercooler pipe and now it drives pretty good...not perfect...but way better than before.

I'd love to come to a GTG...I haven't seen some of y'all in 3/4 years.
Wagon is running fine. Matt did a 120K service on it in April. I drove it up to just south of Salem, OR in August for the eclipse viewing.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Maybe it is time to organize one again. Let me figure it out ...

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
If you need any help, let me know I'm interested in helping to make this happen.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Maybe it is time to organize one again. Let me figure it out ...
Hoo Rah!! Let me know if you need any help Andrew.. Not having any wrenching makes it so much simpler...
Lots of parks rent picnic space .. there is Briones... Wildcat ... Tilden ... BYOB and BYO food... lots of options...
Maybe we could do it at the park parking lot right next to Richmond Gun club and everyone can bring their toys ...

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
yeah I'd be down for a meetup. Not sure which TDI I would drive to it as I have 4 of them. Or maybe everyone wants to see the only non-diesel VW product I have-- the GT4. ;)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I would love to finally go to a GTG or at least something that resembles one. I have only met four other TDI owners in person; two I fired up my VCDS for. I will hope Northern-ish California to happen; I am three hours from the Bay Area.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
I'm getting back into the TDI game. Picking up my old 2004 Jetta that I used to own and am planning on racing it in LeMons/Champ/Lucky Dog. Maybe I'll have a build weekend GTG at some point in April or May? If anyone's interested in racing with me send me a PM.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Re GTG

I'd love to attend and know others who would, too. The Truckee / Tahoe area could be considered for a venue, FWIW. That incident with said idiot is way behind us, so let's make it happen again.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It would be nice to go to one last GTG before my move to AZ is complete.

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
I know someone with a dyno trailer. if that interested enough people. I could get him to bring it and run cars for a reasonable price.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Hullo. I'm hella late to this game. Matt and I are down for hanging out/canyon shenanigans/good food, but no wrenching, sorry. We have a shop now :)

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Just picked up another diesel, keep me posted.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Ok, I am looking at an October date. Wrenching might be an issue of sorts however if you need work done try Matt is always available, so try to patronize his business in San Anselmo. Should the space I have in mind have a private gate then wrenching for fees should not be a problem should Matt and perhaps Justin want to wrench. Due to a previous incident we can no longer have GTG at the San Pablo location.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds good. I'm still working on my move to AZ, trying to get the house and property ready for sale. The cars are already registered in AZ, my wife is there and I periodically go there. As soon as you have a date, I'll block it in so I won't be in AZ.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Would love to do another TDI GTG in the Bay Area!!

Will make a nice trip with the TDI Jeep Comanche conversion!

Last weekend in October is out for me. Have a prior commitment for that weekend.

John Jackson
Wow! I'd love to see that, John.

tomotdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS, '00 Golf GL auto/5sp swap, '03 GL wagon ,
Andrew, any updates? It would be great to see all again.

Tom