New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
NMS to have TDI power

I don't know if this has been mentioned (a quick search under NMS didn't find much) but I got an email reply from VWoA's Director of Public Relations regarding VW's US TDI product line. The new TDI midsize sedan is the closest we'll see to a CC TDI. The Tiguan news is a bummer though. I think they'd have a segment-buster if they offered it with the diesel - maybe the next-gen Tig? Might have to be content with Subaru's diesel Forester instead.

Hello Will,

We currently offer the the Jetta TDI Sedan and SportWagen, Golf TDI (introduced this month) and Touareg V6 TDI. Next Spring we'll offer the Jetta TDI Cup Edition, based on our successful Jetta TDI race car. The next generation Jetta TDI will be introduced next Fall. The new Midsize Sedan that will be produced in Chattanooga, Tenn. will also be available with TDI. Intro is scheduled for the Fall of 2011. We have no plans to offer the current generation Tiguan with TDI. Hope this information answers your question.

Regards,

Steve Keyes

Director, Press and Public Relations
Public Relations Department
Volkswagen of America, Inc.
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive
Herndon, VA 20171

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
chewy said:
You actually got some great info out of them with the next Jetta release date. It's very likely that Tiguan can't use the 2.0TDI without adding AdBlue components to it.
Maybe the NMS will have the AdBlue system, maybe not.
The AdBlue system is an 800€ option in the European Passat 2.0 TDI. No big deal. The 2.0 turbo gas engine is a bit more expensive than the TDI with AdBlue.
EDIT: I can't read. The gasser is actually cheaper. 50€ cheaper.

See prices for German-spec Passat Comfortlines here:
Gas:

This clearly shows that the 2.0 turbo gasser (yellow marker) is one of the more expensive engines in the Passat lineup. Don't American-market gassers use a conventional slushbox instead of the DSG though?

Diesel:

The yellow ones have the full AdBlue system.

Bluemotion diesel: (not available in Comfortline trim, a bit less standard equipment)

Compressed Natural gas:

An interesting alternative - CNG is cheap, and if you can't find any, it still has a gas tank.

Prices include 19% VAT.

EDIT: I somehow forgot the Passat for really weird people.

Last edited:

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
*Boggles.* Do they really have a natural gas twincharged 1.4? I'm guessing that's what the "TSI" is, is the super-turbocharger combination on the direct injected engines.

I want one of those engines! :(

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Finally

So they have finally made the clear statement that TDI will be installed in a US domestic VW plant.
It was like pulling teeth !

The link to "see all TDI vehicles" from that page is a bit stale! It shows Golf is "coming soon", and the page shows a 2009 edit date. Well, now, it is the 2011 Golf that is coming soon!

Last edited:

Snoozer

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE Manual
A TDI in my future?

This may be just what I've been looking for to finally put a TDI in my sig!

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
How is the HPFP a valid reason? Do we have any concrete numbers on how many have failed? No. Remember, people come crying for sympathy when they have problems, not when they don't.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Hpfp?

MyAvocation said:
What's holding you back? HPFP issue is certainly a valid reason.
Can you please explain what the acronym HPFP means ? I search the forums with the acronym, but didn't get anything useful.

Anything to do with Particulate Filter Device (PDF?) High Performance Filter Paper (HPFP?!)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
dubStrom said:
Can you please explain what the acronym HPFP means ? I search the forums with the acronym, but didn't get anything useful.
High Pressure Fuel Pump

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh.

truman said:
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Thank you. So much jargon. It is hard to keep up, and I actually read things and search the forum. There should be a policy that if it isn't in the thread, spell it out, add the acronym in parenthesis, and then use it.

TDI would be the notable exception:rolleyes:

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Am I the only one whose getting tired of reading about HPFP problems? What problems? No dealer I've spoke with has a clue what your talking about?

Hey, just got an email....Pisssssssssssssssss....listen up. The dealers are keeping HPFP failures a huge secret they get ten maybe fifteen busted HPFPs a day now. :D I heard Rush Lintball say that just the other day and, hey, he wouldn't BS you would he? :)

Of course if you use XYZs super, duper, fuel additive you won't have 'any' problems. ;)

Jeez guys, unless you can show proof there is a problem (not your buddies, buddies tdi broke down crap) give it a rest.

VW and Bosch don't build junk.........remember.........you guys bought a VW didn't you? Equipment will break..........go to your Bentley dealer and look in the service bays and you'll see 250 thousand dollars cars up on the lift having rotors turned, pumps replaced and so on. People die and cars break down.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
warranty

If HPFP fails, it will be covered for the first few years for free under engine/drivetrain warranty.

If it needs replacing, it will probably get a model with the, er, 'problem' fixed.

Uh...Did I say problem!?! If it fails after warranty, how much could one cost? By then, surely a good HPFP would be available, so it would last a while, eh?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
dubStrom said:
If HPFP fails, it will be covered for the first few years for free under engine/drivetrain warranty.

If it needs replacing, it will probably get a model with the, er, 'problem' fixed.

Uh...Did I say problem!?! If it fails after warranty, how much could one cost? By then, surely a good HPFP would be available, so it would last a while, eh?
A warranty claim can be denied if they claim that you put bad fuel in it. Therein lies the rub.

Back to the 2012 TDI's from Chattanooga:

New vehicle.
New plant.
New employees.

Wait until 2013. You're better off buying a current German or Mexican VW until the new vehicle and new crew get the bugs worked out of them.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
frugality said:
New vehicle.
New plant.
New employees.
I would not presume that the TDI engine will initially be built in Chattanooga. VW does not produce TDI engines in Mexico either. I suspect the engines will come from an existing facility.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
frugality said:
A warranty claim can be denied if they claim that you put bad fuel in it. Therein lies the rub.

New vehicle.
New plant.
New employees.

Wait until 2013. You're better off buying a current German or Mexican VW until the new vehicle and new crew get the bugs worked out of them.
Training is the key word mentioned in the article... Unless VW is embarking on a whole new wild adventure, powerplants will be imported from wherever they are currently manufactured (can't find info), so the TDI engine will still be built by experienced mechanics. The rest? well, Hondas, Subarus, etc, are all now assembled here. Fit and finish will be up to the crews. New and unexpected regulations or changes in production? Who knows? Sorry. I won't wait. I am aiming for 2011 Golf or maybe late year 2010 Jetta. I will vote for efficiency and torque with dollars.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
After the Westmoreland experience, one would think that VW would make a strong effort to get this right out of the box?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
dubStrom said:
Training is the key word mentioned in the article... Unless VW is embarking on a whole new wild adventure, powerplants will be imported from Mexico (watch), so at least the TDI engine will be built by experienced mechanics. The rest? well, Hondas, Subarus, etc, are all now assembled here. Fit and finish will be up to the crews. New and unexpected regulations or changes in production? Who knows? Sorry. I won't wait. I am aiming for 2011 Golf or maybe late year 2010 Jetta. I will vote for efficiency and torque with dollars.
Try working in the auto manufacturing industry, and you'll know why it's recommended that you shy away from a first-year model....and that's in an established plant with experienced people, much less a brand new one with inexperienced staff.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
frugality said:
Try working in the auto manufacturing industry, and you'll know why it's recommended that you shy away from a first-year model....and that's in an established plant with experienced people, much less a brand new one with inexperienced staff.
That's a good point. I still think the engines will be imported ready to install. Otherwise, it might mean more delay. Does anyone here know where are the TDI engines manufactured? I haven't found any info on TDI manufacturing. It would be nice to see a prototype for the new midsize. It might not be in time for me, but it could make a difference.

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I am pretty sure all the TDI engines are produced in Germany. All 4 of mine have been. Don't see why they would move production of the engine to the US.

As long as they produce a midsize like the Passat, NOT the CC with it's stupid 4 seater design with the TDI, I will buy it.

It better be a step up from the Jetta in terms of amenities and features or there is no reason to buy over the Jetta.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
TomB said:
It better be a step up from the Jetta in terms of amenities and features or there is no reason to buy over the Jetta.
Wheel base and all that implies?
When they say mid size, I think that means a range of wheel base dimensions that is greater than that of a jetta, IIRC.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
abctdi said:
Wheel base and all that implies?
When they say mid size, I think that means a range of wheel base dimensions that is greater than that of a jetta, IIRC.
It's based on interior space. The latest Prius is considered a midsized car because it added just enough interior space to qualify.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Interior design space has traditionaly been ruled by the space between the front and rear axles, and how many people can fit comfortably, as well as payload. Adding volume in other unuseful directions is misleading and cheating.
Also, having a short wheelbase and large body makes for a poor highway driver in adverse weather conditions like high side winds, IMHO. It's probably fine for city driving, which the prius is best suited for.