New and exciting fault code; 17958 :D Need a VW genius please.

PlantPWR

TDI
99 Beetle
My sons laptop battery died ( they need to get Vag-Com to work on a mac) and these are the codes I got before it pooped out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
VAG-COM Version: Release 704.1

Data version: 20070723
Sunday,13,January,2008,15:56:52:50460
Chassis Type: 1C - VW Beetle
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 17 19 22 29 35 37 39 46 54 56 75
Mileage: 140000km/86991miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-018.LBL
Part No: 038 906 018 BK
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 2145
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 00066
1 Fault Found:
17958 - Charge Pressure: Control Deviation
P1550 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While changing the fuel filter yesterday I noticed the nipple for the high pressure piece was in 2 pieces. It didnt look right so I put it back together and placed it in and held it down with the mickey mouse clip. Today at 5am I am scooting down the highway doing my best to get it up to 55 MPH. I pull into the parking garage and let it idle. The CEL is on. I got out of the car and noticed a copious amount of diesel under the front right bumper. I was late to work and went inside. When I came out this afternoon there was a good puddle on the ground. I came home and took out that piece. Being I am stranded without it I cleaned it very well and removed the old glue part from the white piece. I then super glued it back together. It sealed up very well and I put it back in. I took it for a spin about 30 mins later ( I wanted to be sure the glue had dried). Going up the road I have very little power. I thought it may be in limp mode, I came back and hooked up my VAG-COM. I got the above fault code and it wont clear out. There is no oil leaking any more.

If you saw my other thread I broke the nipple off of the brake hose by just touching it. I ordered a new one and can drive ok without power brakes. I have strong legs and 2 feet braking was what I had in my first car.

Is the above code for the brake issue or is it the fuel filter nipple?

TIA

Joe

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It's the brake hose issue. Without vacuum to the boost control, you're going to get that code. The small hose that broke off supplies the vacuum required to control the boost.

PlantPWR

TDI
99 Beetle
Mo you are the man!

Thanks

What are your thoughts about the power issue. I can barely do 55. No other fault codes at all.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
since it's an ALH engine, anything that affects the vacuum system (like the brake hose) will affect the turbo, EGR, and power brake systems... once you have the nipple, I would replace it with a hard flexible line like a coolant hose... however any parts place will have the heat shrink type that VW uses.

That's what your power issue is coming from...

PlantPWR

TDI
99 Beetle
You guys are quick! I was joking with my wife that it would take less than 10 minutes to have this worked out here. I really thank you all.

The old nipple is still stuck inside that very thick tube. I was thinking I would take it out with some needle nose I have. Your suggesting replacing the whole tube that comes off the nipple?

Thanks again.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
you can cut the tube with a rasor blade, that way you won't break the other nipple on the master cylinder.... just replace it with a coolant hose (mine's been that way for about a year... no problems here...) might also want to check out the vacuum lines for chafing.

Jay reno

TDI
2002 Golf
Alright, so i'm kionda new at this having owned a diesel a little over a year now. I have been having THAT VERY SAME PROBLEM!!!! no power ( pushing between 0-5 PSI' s of boost ) and two feet bracking... Now, what do i need to look for and were, i cant find any leakage of any kind anywhere and i havent done any recent work on the car ( too darn cold at -25 degrees Celcius... ) HELP!!!! PLEASE!!! and thank you in advance for youre help and support

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Look at the vacuum pump, on the right side of the cylinder-head as you're looking down at the engine. There is a 3" black hose that goes into a plastic check valve with a T in it. The rest of the piping is a hard plastic and it goes into the master cylinder. If you're having the exact symptoms the OP has, such as very hard brake pedal and no power, most likely that check valve is bad or the T is broken/cracked. All of the vacuum controlled systems on the car are fed vacuum from that T off the check valve. I had to replace it on my aunt's '03 NB. Cost me $45 for a new complete hose including check valve (dealer doesn't sell JUST check valve with Tee). Installed and everything is back to normal.

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?

Is this the t? Im having these symptoms but nothing seems bad....and i dont see where it goes into the master cylinder....I only see two steel braided lines coming out of the master cylinder that go to the proportioning vavle

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I think so, but look around at the other hoses to see if any of them have a hole in them.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It goes to the vacuum brake booster, not the master cylinder.

Do you hear any "air" type sound when you put your foot on the brake? If so then you have a failed seal in the brake booster. This can also cause these symptoms.

alphaseinor

TDI
CTD&TDI said:

Is this the t? Im having these symptoms but nothing seems bad....and i dont see where it goes into the master cylinder....I only see two steel braided lines coming out of the master cylinder that go to the proportioning valve
is it just me or is the feed on the vacuum line chaffed?
How about the Vacuum reservoir line?

I'm going to say replace all of those lines...

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Btw, taking that air hose from the airbox works wonders on visibility and easy of access. That same T you showed in the pic was cracked at the base and leaking. Nothing looked amiss, but all the symptoms of power loss and brake issues were there. One touch and it broke off completely. Good call on replacing all the lines.