Timing belts

DeGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GLS TDI, Red. 400K+ miles
I have the OEM 60,000 mile belt (2nd one) and I need to replace it now that I've hit 120k on my 99.5 Golf GLS TDI. However, I see there is a better one (80,000 mile change) but it costs 3x the other at Impex...is it worth it for only 20,000 miles difference?...that is about 9 months difference in driving time for me. What say you...and anyone in eastern CT interesting in helping me do the job who knows how or should I fork over $400 to the dealer?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
That 80K TB kit has all of the goodies...much more than just the TB & tensioner.
To do the job right....that kit is the way to go.

DeGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the dealership change all the parts or just the belt? What is wrong with keeping the original parts unless obviously defective?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Well....for starters..the engine mount bolts are "one time use only".....and many stealerships cut corners...then as it often has happned ...the bolts give way and your engine falls from the mount. Secondly, the stealerships will not replace the cam shaft oil seal....and if they do...then they will jab you with a much larger bill for a simple 10 min job. Lastly...the kit also has the replacement serpentine belt...often the stealership will simply re-install your old one

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
DeGolf said:
Does the dealership change all the parts or just the belt? What is wrong with keeping the original parts unless obviously defective?

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Herm's reply is excellent, I'd add that it's an absolute necessity for the TB tensioner to be changed when the "new - long life" belt is installed. The kit is an excellent idea - it's really the way to go since it has all the parts that you really need. But the dealer "techs" have been known to take people's parts and NOT install them. Whether they plan to keep the unused parts and sell them to other customers, or use them themselves, or if they just are too ignorant or lazy to use them isn't clear but -- if you go to a stealer for the work, demand to see ALL the old parts.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
DeGolf said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wear is not always visible or obvious. Imminent failure (e.g. due to fatigue from long use) is not always visible or obvious. Some component failures can result in damage enormously more expensive than it would have cost to simply change out the part prior to failure.

RLGuy

TDI
'99 New Beetle, Black
To see what's wrong with not replacing all of the parts (and in my case, even if you DO replace them), see my posting 'Timing Belt Hell'. The tensioner was new but broke after 13000 miles...and since I'm the second owner, I'm screwed. Good luck...

DeGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, I'm getting the picture...btw dealership wants $500 for the job and only knows about the 60,000 mile belt.
sooo, who want to help me do this in eastern CT? Any takers? I'm to confident enough to do it myself...I dont have the tool neither. Speak up now

DeGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
let me clarify my previous post...I do not have enough confidence to do the job myself and I am sure I do not have all the necessary tools...there.
I'm really not as dumb as I seem /images/graemlins/cool.gif