TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDIFest 2011 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Whiskey Distilleries? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=327252)

loganbmx4gt August 17th, 2011 16:21

Whiskey Distilleries?

What distilleries are within the 30 minutes of the hotel?

paramedick August 17th, 2011 19:41

Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace are both about that distance. Ditto Wild Turkey.

i64w2gohome August 17th, 2011 19:50

Strongly recommend Makers Mark, even if it's a bit outside your preferred range.

paramedick August 17th, 2011 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by i64w2gohome (Post 3507400)
Strongly recommend Makers Mark, even if it's a bit outside your preferred range.

about 1 hour or so.

loganbmx4gt August 18th, 2011 00:46

I may hit makers mark. Have to decide. I pass the exit for there all the time and say "one day I will stop in". I love me some makers mark :D

VeeDubTDI August 18th, 2011 05:40

Might need to go check one of the local distilleries out if we can squeeze it in. On a bit of a tight schedule this year.

loganbmx4gt August 19th, 2011 02:05

If anybody planned on going to makers mark I just found this, "
Quote:

Distillery production will shut down (still house only) from August 7th - September 7th for maintenance. Tours and bottling will not be affected. They will run as usual.
So with being said I think I will pass and check the local ones out. Anybody want to get a group together and make a trip?

loganbmx4gt August 20th, 2011 18:45

Wild Turkey is within a 30 minute drive! Woohoo! Anybody else want to go?

AARodriguez Corp. August 20th, 2011 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by loganbmx4gt (Post 3510605)
Wild Turkey is within a 30 minute drive! Woohoo! Anybody else want to go?

uggg... not me, I won't forget the last time I had wild turkey:eek:

MayorDJQ August 20th, 2011 21:13

I'd be interested in taking a drive to Buffalo Trace, which makes Blanton's.

bhutchins August 21st, 2011 18:56

I spent some time around the Toyota plant (Georgetown KY). and on weekends I'd go tour plants. Jim Beam is got a nice visitors center, but Makers is THE place you want to go.

RedTDIowner August 22nd, 2011 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by loganbmx4gt (Post 3507205)
Whiskey distilleries?

Hate to do grammar police on you but the word whiskey does not sit well with us from Kentucky. In fact, we don't like, drink or produce whiskey. There's all kinds of whiskey. We make and drink bourbon. To those of us that know and understand the difference, its huge. I guess the proper analogy would be if someone thought your TDI was a Kia. You would take it personally and need to set them straight. In a respectful manner of course.

:)

brnsgrbr August 22nd, 2011 11:18

I am in for a Makers Mark tour. I may not have a car so if someone needs a rider companion, count me in. As a matter of fact I don't fly out until Tuesday evening. So I would love to go on another tour (at distillery by 11am) so that I can make my 5pm flight out. You can't go to Kentucky and not go on a distillery tour in my opinion. I went to Woodford Reserve this spring and now I want to add more to the list.

cevans August 22nd, 2011 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTDIowner (Post 3512311)
Hate to do grammar police on you but the word whiskey does not sit well with us from Kentucky. In fact, we don't like, drink or produce whiskey. There's all kinds of whiskey. We make and drink bourbon. To those of us that know and understand the difference, its huge. I guess the proper analogy would be if someone thought your TDI was a Kia. You would take it personally and need to set them straight. In a respectful manner of course.

:D

Important distinction.

loganbmx4gt August 22nd, 2011 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTDIowner (Post 3512311)

Sorry. Whisky, Whiskey, Bourbon, Shine its all good. I should have known better. But by technical standards it is a "whiskey". It's just called bourbon because of Bourbon County, where oddly no bourbon is made today. What makes bourbon, tennessee whiskey, rye whiskey, etc. is it's filtration, proof and so on. You i can tell know this though. :)