TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI Power Enhancements (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Welp, I think my VNT-17 bit the dust. (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=499590)

beckster June 4th, 2019 11:41

Welp, I think my VNT-17 bit the dust.

Purchased the "white unicorn" that's been floating around the forums for years about a month ago. If you search "2003 Bora highly modified" you'll find it. But here are the specs that are relevant to engine stuff:

2003 GLS TDI ALH, approx. 296k miles.

VNT-17 turbo
Boost valve
PowerPlus 520 injectors
11mm fuel pump
In-tank PD lift pump
Old man intake
Front mount intercooler
Mishimoto catch can
EGR and cooler deleted
DieselGeek race pipe
Full stainless Kerma exhaust
Kerma tune w/ immobilizer delete

Had the timing belt done at 295k, the week after we picked it up, by a reputable guy I've used before for my Golf.

This past weekend it seemed a little smokier than usual out the exhaust. It had been blowing some nice coal in boost previously, but this was white and more than usual. Started out just with acceleration, so I put some Power Service in it thinking it was some bad fuel. Then it started smoking even at idle. Watching the boost gauge, it would go into boost fine up to about 22PSI, but then drop like a rock. Great... Checked the oil and it was low. Pulled the lower intercooler line (missed the pan too lol) and had a nice puddle of oil form. Also noticed oil blew out the tail pipe. I attached some pics of the carnage.

So I'm guessing it's a pretty open and closed case I need a turbo... Thankfully it didn't run away on me.

I'll be doing some research over the next few days, but is there anything unusual I should be aware of replacing it? It'll be me and my husband working on it and first time doing a turbo. We're pretty handy and have worked on my Golf ourselves, and fortunately I also have a couple good diesel mechanic friends I can call for help, if needed. I plan to clean out the intercooler at well, especially if the impeller is shredded once we get it out.

Also: Should I consider something other than the VNT-17? It lasted about 200k by my approximation so I feel fine putting another one in. Just wanted to ask for options.

Thanks!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3a28acb53e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6edeb45723.jpg

Nero Morg June 4th, 2019 12:34

It would be easier to put in another Vnt17 since it's already tuned for it. Or you can drop in something else with some fab work, but you'll need the tune redone to match. I already know others will suggest to "get away from the ancient tech of the Vnt17" lol

beckster June 4th, 2019 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nero Morg (Post 5513300)
It would be easier to put in another Vnt17 since it's already tuned for it. Or you can drop in something else with some fab work, but you'll need the tune redone to match. I already know others will suggest to "get away from the ancient tech of the Vnt17" lol

Very true, probably the best option. What are your thoughts on having the turbo rebuilt?

I'm not sure of the details on the tune, I wonder if I reach out to Kerma they would give me info.

Owain@malonetuning June 4th, 2019 13:19

X2. More complicated and expensive parts, that aren't available off the shelf from a ton of US distributors, and wouldn't allow you to limp it home on a vnt15 from a wrecker in a worst case scenario, aren't always ideal for a daily.

You also have just enough fuel to max out a 1749vb, so not much point going larger. Turbo will have some core value as well since it shouldn't be too bad to rebuild if the wheels are in good shape.

KERMA June 4th, 2019 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckster (Post 5513311)
Very true, probably the best option. What are your thoughts on having the turbo rebuilt?

I'm not sure of the details on the tune, I wonder if I reach out to Kerma they would give me info.

Gratz on 200k miles of service out of a "lowly" VNT17. Now build it better stronger faster than before. :cool: 17 plus

please contact info@kermatdi.com or 877-537-6283 and mention your personal details and this thread.

Yourbuddysatin June 4th, 2019 13:51

Wow sorry to hear that! http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com/ That’s a pretty decent place to get yours rebuild if it is able to. I didn’t fully read above so I don’t know if yours is complete junk or not.

Nero Morg June 4th, 2019 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckster (Post 5513311)

If you have the time to allow the car to be done, find a good vendor to have it built. Me, I'm too lazy/impatient for that so I'd just get a whole replacement.

Tdijarhead June 4th, 2019 17:26

Hmmm those pictures look familiar. That looks exactly like mine when the turbo went. Oil in the intercooler, oil out the tailpipe, oil everywhere.

I would not rebuild the old unit, and I would put the same as you already have in there, because as has been pointed out that’s what you’re tuned for. New vnt 17.

Doing the work isn’t that bad of a job the two of you should be able to knock it out in an afternoon, provided you don’t run into problems. You’ll have to remove the intake so it’s a good time to clean that as well as all the boost hoses.

beckster June 4th, 2019 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin (Post 5513318)
Wow sorry to hear that! http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com/ Thatís a pretty decent place to get yours rebuild if it is able to. I didnít fully read above so I donít know if yours is complete junk or not.

Thanks for the link... I found this:
Is this the correct turbo? It says it's a GT1749V, just want to make sure that's a VNT-17. Seems like a good buy vs. $850+ elsewhere. Thoughts?
Rebuilt garrett turbocharger for the 1.9 TDI used on VW, Audi ,skoda and more
Garrett GT1749V

Yourbuddysatin June 4th, 2019 17:55

I’m not sure. Looks like it is comparable though. I think a vnt17 can make more power than that one. I’m not 100% on that though. Probably save some cash though by having yours rebuilt.

KERMA June 4th, 2019 18:19

you gotta watch those remans. At that price there's probably still the old vanes and unison ring, and actuator.

....aaaaand that is a vnt-15

beckster June 4th, 2019 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KERMA (Post 5513371)
you gotta watch those remans. At that price there's probably still the old vanes and unison ring, and actuator.

....aaaaand that is a vnt-15

Alllllrighty then! Sending you an email now haha, thank you!

beckster June 4th, 2019 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning (Post 5513312)
X2. More complicated and expensive parts, that aren't available off the shelf from a ton of US distributors, and wouldn't allow you to limp it home on a vnt15 from a wrecker in a worst case scenario, aren't always ideal for a daily.

You also have just enough fuel to max out a 1749vb, so not much point going larger. Turbo will have some core value as well since it shouldn't be too bad to rebuild if the wheels are in good shape.

Thanks so much for your input, greatly appreciated! Seems like sticking with the VNT-17 is my plan now.

Nevada_TDI June 5th, 2019 19:44

For the money I would contact Dutch Auto Parts. They have great prices on turbos either new or rebuilt. His rebuilt turbos are new CHRA's in a used manifold, that is also upgraded for a long life.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593 see post #3

Mongler98 June 5th, 2019 21:07

+1 for having it rebuilt by a quality shop.
that or the GT1749V