Is it worth it? / What would you do?

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
My 2001 had the turbo bearing go out and the turbine is contacting the housing, also the AC compressor went out some time ago. Otherwise it is mechanically sound, I even had the 5-speed swap done. The problem is that I just don't have the time to do the work myself, so it's down to having a shop do it for almost 3 grand.

I love the car, but that's a lot of money, big punch in the gut I guess.

What would you do?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
New turbo is $650-700. A/C compressor is under $300. Turbo swap should cost $400 or so, the A/C service less than that. So if the car's in good shape and you like it, is it worth $1800-$2K to get it back on the road? I would think so.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Please don't take this as me being a douche but find time...I'm blessed to have 2...one is stock and one is pretty well modified...but when one has a problem I can drive the other...just picked a Bosch 120 amp at the salvage yard for 20 bux, and the overrun clutch is perfect. My stock Jetta sat for who knows how many months because the person that was supposed to drive it didn't...

Attack one thing at a time...one of my AC compressors is from a salvage yard and cost me 35 bux and it still makes cold air 2 years later and it's been hawt in VA and SW Arkansas...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
At $3000 you are paying too much. Find you someone who could do a lower cost. Honestly both of those jobs are easy. So any competent mechanic should be able to r&r it.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
If you weren't so far from me I'd do it on the cheap...way less than 3k for sure...I'm in SW Arkansas now

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Even if you dont have the tools, go buy them. A few hours labor, heck, may even take a few days if you dont have mechanical experience. If your a/c system has freon in it, take it to ANY shop, have them vacuum the system down. Replace compressor, and turbo on your own. Afterwards, drive the car back to the same shop, or any shop, have them charge the system if you're not confident. Probably less than $200 labor.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
Find the time to do it. I replaced my turbo on a weekend without much of any help from the Bentley or online sources. You just unbolt everything on the old one and bolt everything on the same way with the new one.

These cars are going to become increasingly difficult and expensive to be serviced by hired help, so if you plan to keep yours, you should invest in the proper tools and knowledge.

h.ubk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Another thing that I've experienced is knowing what you have, the good and the bad...if you own it long enough there won't be many spots of the car that you haven't put eyes and hands on and you know the condition of the car. Honestly, if I didn't work on my own cars there is no way I'd have a mk4 TDI...unless I was paid like a doctor...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Fix it. Nice to change the 2 oil lines with the turbo. AC compressor, not sure what other bits go with that other than gas fill. Say it's $2200, that's a $185 car payment for one year.
You'll need to look hard for a shop. If you're feeling adventurous and have time, try a local trade school (some high schools also). It'll take them a while, but they'd love it and would do it right.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
I did a turbo swap between two of my mk4s once, really not bad of a job. IF I was closer id do it evenings for you for a fraction of that price... Be that as it may id say definitely get it done one way or another!! Remember they don't make these things any more:(...... Cheers

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
99 bux for a used 5 speed and it was almost removed when I got there...

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the encouragement you guys. Have a new turbo coming tomorrow and made the time this weekend. I used to do most of my own work but a new family and 50+ hour a week job has had me discouraged. I've been away from the forums for too long:rolleyes:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks for the encouragement you guys. Have a new turbo coming tomorrow and made the time this weekend. I used to do most of my own work but a new family and 50+ hour a week job has had me discouraged. I've been away from the forums for too long:rolleyes:
Think about the fuel savings in the long run and the good feeling when the car is running right from your labor. :)

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced and Running! Support bracket misalignment problem...

Alright guys, time for an update.
I had a shop do the AC work and ordered a Mahle turbo from Peter's shop, which I installed last weekend. It's amazing the difference it makes. There must have been other issues in the intake/exhaust system, as everything is quieter now.

The one issue I ran into is that the turbo support bracket is a few millimeters misaligned with the hole in the block now. Has anyone run into this?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I have. I just enlarged the hole slightly.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
My modified car don't have one...maybe one day after shifter bushings and QA seals and getting a job...lol