TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   New Beetle TDI Picture Gallery (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   '00 Beetle TDIsore (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=435641)

Rembrant September 28th, 2016 17:38

This is awesome. :D

Colin Doyle July 19th, 2017 22:51

Hey, been a while since I updated this.

The Beetle blew its turbo a few months ago, which prompted me to begin a long-overdue engine rebuild. I just got it running last week and am currently tidying up loose ends and working with a friend to get the tuning aspect sorted out. It's good enough to daily-drive right now, and the potential in this build seems very promising.

Engine build consists of:

- GTB2056VK turbo
- 90s Passat (1Z?) manifold with a homemade adapter plate
- ported cylinder head (by yours truly)
- custom big-plenum intake with flywheel-side inlet
- Colt Stage 3 cam
- Double valve springs
- Molnar H-beam rods (balanced to stock ALH pistons) with ARP rod bolts
- ARP head studs
- 11mm injection pump
- .280 Gibonta injector nozzles
- 3 inch 304SS turbo-back straight pipe
- (the same) front-mount intercooler with 2-inch 304SS plumbing
- lift pump
- Wavetrac LSD
- G60/VR6 flywheel/clutch combo (Spec clutch kit rated for 400 ft-lbs)

Hopefully I can be gapping guys' Subarus in my winter beater soon.:D

New Mickey July 21st, 2017 23:48

I can't stop laughing. But in a good way, I assure you. That's the single most awesome thing I've seen in a while.

-mickey

KDAWG97M3 September 17th, 2017 05:01

Amazing....I want the f650...

rocketeer928 September 21st, 2017 18:12

I'm not much of a "new" Beetle fan (prefer the older ones), but this one is unique and looks cool.

Colin Doyle September 22nd, 2017 10:31

Thanks. I'm not really a fan of the New Beetle, either. Or the old one. Or Volkswagens at all. Hahaha

Phathektor February 4th, 2018 15:28

The bumpers are amazing
How much would you charge to make a front and rear bumper?

Colin Doyle February 4th, 2018 16:41

Probably more than the car is worth, unfortunately. It's not really economically viable to produce bumpers this elaborate for other peoples' cars, but I can dump a ton of time and energy into my own stuff and justify it to myself as a learning experience. I don't think I'd be willing to build another front bumper/skidplate combo like this for less than $1200, for example. Hard sell in a world of $300 mass-produced Chinese Jeep bumpers.

The engine build, for anyone interested, has been holding up very well. Despite having gotten fairly deep into modifying engines in my past, I've never actually rebuilt a car engine before (just tons of powersport stuff - jet skis, lawnmowers, ATVs, scooters, sleds, etc.) This rebuild has clocked about 14,000 miles so far, and it's taken me out to Vegas for the SEMA show and to the top of Pike's Peak with little drama. There is still a lot of power to be coerced out of the tune, but I've been so swamped lately it's been difficult to set aside time to work on it.

Additionally, I performed some rust repairs on the car before my road trip to Vegas this year. I swapped the hood for a clean one and cut out the rocker panels, replacing them with .120-wall square profile steel, then finished them with UPOL Raptor and resprayed the rockers and quarterpanels. I have a ton of photos of the process, but I'm not even sure if any of these Photobucket links work anymore. Click here for a link to the public album on Facebook.