locating fuel

TDI in Peekskill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, blue
I read somewhere (in the FAQ???) that the VW dealer included a directory for locating d.fuel with the new car info. I did not get this and will be asking him tomorrow if there is such an animal. Meanwhile...I have been noting the availability in my area (50 miles NW of NYC) and now that I need it I see it is not that easy to find. Any one in my area with a couple of good sources? I have one in my neighborhood and today his pump was on the fritz. I hate to depend on one supply. RS Gartman

dudybug

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 jetta tdi auto, clear windscreen & tinted driver
check the highways on the outskirts of you burg.
look for where the truckers fill.
start there.

TDI in Peekskill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, blue
Thank you, your advice is noted and the fact is I was looking for fuel today and I have just under a half tank right now. The place I had intended to buy is right down the hill from Camp Smith (fairly large military post) and I see the army vehicles filling up there all the time. I assume the fuel will be fresh at least--quality I have no knowledge.

I know my eyes are open now and I will be looking for alternate places. Thanks again

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Amoco premium is avail. in Hawthorne right near the Executive diner. Be forewarned you'll never want to use anything ever again once you get this stuff in your tank.

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: NYTDI ]</p>

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Search the archives for the "Premium Diesel Fueling List". But, since you are in my neighborhood, here is where to get diesel:

- Cruisin Motor Fuel, Lexington Ave. 40 cetane
- Citgo on 202 near McDonalds/Curry Ford, 40 cetane
- Gulf at corner of Rt 6/Lexington, 40 cetane, under construction
- New Texaco, corner of Rt 6/Locust, unknown, under construction
- unknown, Route 6N behind the pool place, 40 cetane
- couple of places on Rt 6 up towards Mahopac.

I usually fuel at the Amoco in Hawthorne as posted by NYTDI, or up here in Dutchess County where I work.

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
e-mail or call customer support at www.bp.com and ask for a list of stations that supply Amoco Premier (50 cetane) or Powerblend (45 cetane). they'll send you a listing.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TDI in Peekskill:
I read somewhere (in the FAQ???) that the VW dealer included a directory for locating d.fuel with the new car info. I did not get this and will be asking him tomorrow if there is such an animal.<hr></blockquote>

I checked on this after I got my car and found no fuel directory in the glove box. The dealership told me that they no longer give out the booklet.

I wouldn't worry too much about not finding fuel, you'll learn pretty quickly which stations in your area have Diesel. You can also checkBeowulf's webpage for listings of premium Diesel stations. But the listing's for NY are a little sparse. Maybe you can add any that you find.

If you're taking a trip somewhere you can always post something here and ask about fuel availability for a particular area. I'm sure people would be helpful.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I've owned diesel cars for over 15 years and finding fuel has never been a problem, but it does take a little planning.

a. realize that with 1/2 a tank, you still have a 300 mile range.
b. take some time and drive around your neighborhood about 10 miles from your house looking for stations that have fuel. The 'DIESEL' sign is a clue, as well as the extra pump or pumps with 4 spouts.
c. do the same along your route to/from work.

Once you know where these stations are, you'll be able to plan to be at the station of your choice when you start to run low.