Tool for Rear suspension bushings

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
Good day all. I would like to ask if someone has the part number for Snap-on, rear suspension bushings, remover, installer. I search and search and I am sorry but I can not find it. My search skills lack.:eek: Dan.

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
Good day all. I would like to ask if someone has the part number for Snap-on, rear suspension bushings, remover, installer. I search and search and I am sorry but I can not find it. My search skills lack.:eek: Dan.
I am not sure if Snap On makes the tool, I have asked our local rep. And he was unable to find one, but remember brute strength and ignorance always works!

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I have a tool I designed that I rent and sell.

Several members have done both.

I made it when I couldn't finda a good and affordable tool to do this job myself.

PM if interested - it's to install rear axle beam busings in MKIV's with the beam remaining in the car.

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice Dave, you sell them. How much? A little far away to rent. Maybe you have pics. Thank you, so far for the replies.:) Dan.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Dave, how to video? pictures even would be good..
I send a zip file with pics.

I figure it's already easy enough to copy so no need to post more than necessary.

I still have a few new left and a rental.

Someday I may get serious about it. I already had some preliminary discussions with an Attorney and Lisle tools a ways back.

A few local tool truck guys have inquired.

I was in a wreck a year ago in a GTI and still recovering so I'm limited.

Last thing was neck surgery 3 weeks ago and limited to lifting 5 pounds.

But my income was also down 80% last year due to the accident.

I may get to funding another run of these tools. I don't make much on them. And now have the tool to use myself.

I know of a tool that has done over 300 sets.

And I know of several folks who regularly do a set in about 45 minutes here in the rust belt.

Flat rate Tech's LOVE the tool. Book time is 5.5 hours.

VW tool is pushing 1k and mine works better - the tech's tell me.

But thanks for the kind words about the tool. Like I said I had to have one made because there wasn't a good affordable choice. I had a small run of them made (anyone who understands machine setup time will understand).

A lot of folks here would still rather spend a day, trying to make a tool. That may work and they are proud of themselves. Here in the rust belt, or if you value your time much - well, I'd have much rather bought a quality tool at a fair price. None existed so I had one made.

My tool makes it really hard to screw up the install. You turn the nut with a gear wrench or socket. It is installed very easily.

PLEASE I know a lot of folks here are cheap. Buy QUALITY(NOT with quality in the brand name) bushings no matter what tool you are using to do the install. NOT the place to save a few bucks.

OEM, I've seen old BOGE's that were good, recently installed good ones from Febi/Bilstein.

Stay away from First Equipment Parts?and others. I have seen Mehle that were junk but others say they have been fine. If the new ones have a lot of rubber flash and a good bit out of round return them and buy good ones.

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you very much for the replies. It looks like Dave might be able to help me out. I love this place.:)

volkswheels

Vendor
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI DSG, 2012 GolfHighline TDI DSG
PM sent

I send a zip file with pics.

I figure it's already easy enough to copy so no need to post more than necessary.

I still have a few new left and a rental.

Someday I may get serious about it. I already had some preliminary discussions with an Attorney and Lisle tools a ways back.

A few local tool truck guys have inquired.

I was in a wreck a year ago in a GTI and still recovering so I'm limited.

Last thing was neck surgery 3 weeks ago and limited to lifting 5 pounds.

But my income was also down 80% last year due to the accident.

I may get to funding another run of these tools. I don't make much on them. And now have the tool to use myself.

I know of a tool that has done over 300 sets.

And I know of several folks who regularly do a set in about 45 minutes here in the rust belt.

Flat rate Tech's LOVE the tool. Book time is 5.5 hours.

VW tool is pushing 1k and mine works better - the tech's tell me.

But thanks for the kind words about the tool. Like I said I had to have one made because there wasn't a good affordable choice. I had a small run of them made (anyone who understands machine setup time will understand).

A lot of folks here would still rather spend a day, trying to make a tool. That may work and they are proud of themselves. Here in the rust belt, or if you value your time much - well, I'd have much rather bought a quality tool at a fair price. None existed so I had one made.

My tool makes it really hard to screw up the install. You turn the nut with a gear wrench or socket. It is installed very easily.

PLEASE I know a lot of folks here are cheap. Buy QUALITY(NOT with quality in the brand name) bushings no matter what tool you are using to do the install. NOT the place to save a few bucks.

OEM, I've seen old BOGE's that were good, recently installed good ones from Febi/Bilstein.

Stay away from First Equipment Parts?and others. I have seen Mehle that were junk but others say they have been fine. If the new ones have a lot of rubber flash and a good bit out of round return them and buy good ones.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
+1 on Dave's tool. I had never changed any bushings on any suspension before doing mine. Tool worked great! I rented it and just picked it up, but Dave is only about 30 min from where I work. You can ask, though if he could ship it with you making a deposit and refund the deposit upon return.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Anyone else interested please PM me ASAP.

I'm looking for what components I have left from the first run.

I may need to have another run made if there is enough interest.

Mostly due to material and machine shop time. The 12mm allthread and special nuts aren't that long of a leadtime.

I'd prefer not to sell the rental one. Because if I do then members who will only need this tool one time will be out of luck.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Yeah, Davebugs, please hang on to that rental so that we with only one TDI can play!:D

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Yeah, Davebugs, please hang on to that rental so that we with only one TDI can play!:D

I hope to.

It works on all MKIV platform cars. Beetle, Jetta, Golf. I'll have to ask but maybe Passat too.

1.8t, 2.0, VR6, TDI auto and stick don't matter. It's the platform that matters.

If you've got a MKIV with over 100k and hear a clunk in the rear and the shock and mount are good this is what it is. I notice it on things like bridge expansion joints lets say doing 40mph and above - the thud. I never notice them going slow. I have seen them so bad that with parking brake on and putting the car in D and R the wheels actually move within the wheel well.

Also on my 01 Golf TDI(and other early MKIV's) they were oil filled and failed prematurely.

On my cars and friends cars we've taken to doing somewhat of a lets call it "rubber suspension refresh".

Rear axle beam bushings, LCA bushings, sway bar bushings, strut mount bushings/bearing(and usually the OEM spacer). Makes it ride like a new car assuming shocks and struts are decent. Really makes a differnece in ride, handling, and potentially noise if there was clunking or strut bearnings groaning.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Anyone else interested please PM me ASAP.

I'm looking for what components I have left from the first run.

I may need to have another run made if there is enough interest.

Mostly due to material and machine shop time. The 12mm allthread and special nuts aren't that long of a leadtime.

I'd prefer not to sell the rental one. Because if I do then members who will only need this tool one time will be out of luck.
Dave, if you do decide to make more bushing installers, post the price. I'm kind of a tool collector and may buy one in anticipation of a possible future bushing replacement. Thanks.

I hope you mend quickly from your acident.

--Nate

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I would also be intrested in purchasing one as I now have 3 MKIV platforms ( just picked up a NB for daughter unfortunately not diesel:() made her learn the stick for her car and test:D.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Yeah, when I did mine I did what Dave calls the rubber refresh along with struts, shocks, brake flush and new pads and rotors all the way around. That was at 186k. It went back to feeling just like a new car! I'm now at 245k and I've got it apart for wheel bearings. While I'm there I am doing the control arm bushings again and changing to the 'TT' rear ones since my replacements are starting to crack. I actually bought complete knuckle assemblies about two yrs ago from somebody who upgraded brakes on a brand new car, so I'm just swapping out the complete bearing housings. To my amazement the original ball joints and tie Rods are still tight! I can not detect any play at all! My theory..if they are good after that long leave them alone. I know how these wear. No idea on how replacements will hold up!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Some install tips.
Take the rear springs out, use the shocks to balance the axle, take the axle bolts out, lift up the on rear of the axle by the springs to pivot the front down. Take a sawal and cut the old ones out (at least if you have the plastic/rubber ones, no experience with the oil filled ones). Cutting involves cuting a circle to knock the center out so you can get a straight cut at the plastic outer (all of like 15 seconds to cut each one). Hammer/chisel to knock out of hole. Line up new one with Dave's tool, clamp down, Bolt things back up. Hardest part was clearing the brake line enough to do the install and then tightening the bushings "loaded" (car on the ground under its own weight before tightening bolts).

Dave-advise on the next round 30-60% deposit on the price of making the tool so you aren't stuck with inventory you are selling for years down the road with money tied up into it.

I have seen some of the DIY methods with C-clamps and plywood and other forms of pressing and taking the whole axle out and bringing to a shop to press. This is really easy and can be done in a walmart parking lot in about 1 hour with a couple jacks and spring compressors.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
I am having another batch run.

Won't know cost until later for sure.

Should be able to ship in a week or 2 and by then I'll certainly know the cost. He's trying to work them in while he still has a certain machine he's in the middle of selling.

The rental tool I'll keep as a rental and is available now.

PM for info if interested.

As you can tell from some unsolicited comments here they do work well. And I do thank those folks for their comments.

Van Wylder

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta sedan 5 spd. 03 Jetta wagon 5 spd.
I am having another batch run.

Won't know cost until later for sure.

Should be able to ship in a week or 2 and by then I'll certainly know the cost. He's trying to work them in while he still has a certain machine he's in the middle of selling.

The rental tool I'll keep as a rental and is available now.

PM for info if interested.

As you can tell from some unsolicited comments here they do work well. And I do thank those folks for their comments.
I PM'd you today. Since I only have 1 MKIV, I'd be interested in renting the tool in about a month or so. As I said in the PM, I'll be doing the work in the Huntington WV area, on down I77.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
If anyone else is interested in one of these tools PM me.

Short verison of story is I thought we could make them with less material but I was wrong. I bought material friday and delivered it to machine shop. The supply house had another piece and if I get lots of interest I may buy that piece too. For the machinest to be able to use his Mazak before it's sold and removed. This should hopefully help to reduce the price some of the whole run.

I beleive they are worth what I sold the first batch for. But we're seeing if we can do this batch cheaper. He's trying to do this as fill work ASAP while

So now would be a good time to PM me if interested.

milkman02

TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
I'm interested. I just bought an '02 Jetta TDI with 198k and the rear bushings are shot, along with the shocks. I'm probably going to refresh the struts, shocks and most bushings. This tool sounds like it'd be a huge time saver!

I'm looking to order up good quality bushing and Bilstein TCs. Anybody got recommendations on the bushing set? I'm looking at a set from ECS Tuning.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Vendor status just granted.

I should have a price for this batch in a few days.

And be able to ship this week or next.

When I know more I'll start a thread in the vendor section. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it from here though.

Then there will be a published price for this second batch and I can decide whether to have another run made and when. The larger the run the cheaper it should get.

This second batch (and the first in over 2 years) is shaping up to be significantly cheaper than the first batch.

I've signed on as a vendor and will get more serious about this and that hopefully will bring the price down.

It is an excellent tool.

I may also keep track of the rental tool there - we'll see.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Dave, please let me know about price on this new batch of tools. I am interested.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Koch Tools KT20280. I have one I have used it and it does work.

And congrats to Davebugs on Vendor status.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item3a71a3984b&vxp=mtr

I purchased this a few years ago and it works very well. The only drawback is that if you use the Seat bushings, it will not drive them in all the way. However, using a hammer and a 2x4 it takes about 2-3 good solid whacks to seat with no damage.

Can't speak to the SEAT bushings but I know I've sold a few to folks who have repalced that Ebay set after seeing mine work.

I had a VW tech who hadn't used my tool yet use that tool also as a comparison after I developed mine. Then he tried mine and bought it on the spot.

drklawz

TDI
2002 Golf HB, 4dr
in on batch

Let me know price, etc for the run. Interested in getting one on hand.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Can't speak to the SEAT bushings but I know I've sold a few to folks who have repalced that Ebay set after seeing mine work.

I had a VW tech who hadn't used my tool yet use that tool also as a comparison after I developed mine. Then he tried mine and bought it on the spot.
I will have to look at yours. If I like it better, I will buy it.