Mad Mardigan... My mk3 golf, asv swap

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Sooo where to begin... I dont spend a lot of time on tv, or internet so this thread may not be as detailed as it should.
In the fall I decided it was time to get back in the tdi game after being out of it for a while. I am a German Diesel guy... I own German Diesel's, I fix German Heavy equipment for a living so I know a lot of us are addicted to these wonderfull engines I may take it to another level.
Past cars have included a Mk4 Jetta bew with plenty of mods... VNt17/22 lots of little gli goodies, I loved that car... Sold it after I smelled the ether of the bmw335d, lots of fun, really fast! However I missed my Jetta, should have never sold her..Either way me and the 335d ended up bieng together for maybee 2 years.. I bought camper trailer and I know you can tow with the car but the places I wanted to go wouldnt have been to healthy for the D. Sold it and got into the next best thing besides a toureg.. A Jeep Wk diesel.. I have a bosch dealer I work directly with and a mercedes commercial account due to what I do for a living so it made the most sense with the family and our needs. (will post pics of the D and the Jeep later when I find the pics. )

Jeep in winter garb.. Only pic I have right now sorry..

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the crane industry but let me tell you the Germans make the best cranes... I work on some "BIG" Iron.. Up to 500t lifting capacity pretty much the biggest crane in my province/city but still small in the world market... Seen some 1000+ tonne rated cranes and they make our 500t pale in comparison. Either way working on Liebherr's has really been challenging and rewarding.. The places I have gone and see are pretty incredible but I digress..
2 liebherr ltms doing a tandem lift cant remember what was at the end of the hook but it was 100k lbs plus..

My favorite in our fleet... Manitouwoc 555 275 crawler crane.. No its not german but its a beast!!!!
This pic its picking and moving 40,000 lbs panels and puting them in place..
(tilt up)

Our 500t shutting down and entire city block of Vancouver to lift 20,000 Plus air units onto a building i think it was 210 of main boom and another 50 feet of fly section..

Now back to the story.. So years ago I did and engine swap for a well known canadian tuner.. ahem.. It was a great project.. being who he is he had a bunch of parts lying around that needed putting on including a brand new asv crate engine, limited slip diff, colt cam, mk5 gti interior, mk4 20ae brakes and a few other things.. He loves this car and was with him for a long time... So I went about swapping a mk4 european engine into a mk3 north american golf. His goal was to have a zippy little commuter with some great handling and braking. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it please let me be first in line. Became quite smitten with the car and had a bunch of parts lying around that would unlock the cars monster engine potential.
This is the first pic I can find on my phone currently...
This is Nov last year once I had started with the mods pulled the headlights apart, painted the bezels and tinted the high beams and fogs yellow.

Anyways I have had this lying around for years..
Gt2056 off of a jeep crd diesel like mine got it for cheap! was going to put it on the Jetta however I got smitten with the 335d and plans changed.
The turbo itself has been modified.. the turbine housing is not the stock jeep housing... Somehow I cant remember how I got the housing from loudspool here he had a spare and I purchased it from him.

old turbo vs new turbo

No joke I have been off of this forum for years. I am sure there is a bunch of stuff I have missed so please bare with me...
I needed and exhaust and did not want to buy an expensive tubular manifold since I am on a budget and everything on this car is done in my shop at home I have had to come up with mechanically sound creative ideas..
I had a couple of 1z turbo manifolds lying around and decided to see if I could stuff a square peg into a round hole.

I bored the hole out to the same size as the inlet to the compressor side of the turbo and then took a template of both and started to machine.

Now before I get flamed I did not know that darkside has already done an adapter plate... I thought of it myself it just so happens so did Darkside..So sorry Ryan... As stated havent been in the tdi game in years...

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a set of bbs Style 5's lying around and decided it was time to do something with them..
Sanded and stripped all the surfaces, removed all 42 fasteners and polished the lips.

Painting and assembly with new centre caps

Finished product

Victory Guinness
Tires mounted and balanced, and installed. I didn't document it but I made the 5x100 to 5x120 adapters on the lathe as well. I will snap a pic next time I have the wheels of..

Last edited:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Why? it had a tdi and I just swapped in a newer/better tdi.. Why would it be a conversion?