B6 S4 bhw compound turbo build

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
Finally got a chance to post I thread about my build this is one of the few compound turbo build in a longitudinal setup running on the street I took a slightly different approach for Turbo placement which ended up being a very good success I'm running a tdo4 13t high pressure Turbo had a TD06 20g low pressure which is mounted to the tranny with a ultragate38 wastegate almost everything is been custom manufactured schedule 40 manifold with also a schedule 40 hot pipe the car has a Stage 5 South Bend clutch 240mm and I will be running firad160 nozzles power goals are kind of unknown at this point I have about 900 CFM of air to play with so we'll see where that takes me I'm guessing somewhere around 350 awhp would be acceptable very excited to get this going as I've never done a street driven compound setup and I have ran the tdo4 as a single before and it's very responsive so as compounds that should be very good .

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Also this project would have been possible without the use of V bands for everything it makes installation so much easier it allows for tighter clearance

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Really nice build the attention to details is amazing i like the biturbo setup. Is this a PD engine and if it is what injector pumps are you using.

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Really nice build the attention to details is amazing i like the biturbo setup. Is this a PD engine and if it is what injector pumps are you using.

Thank you yes this is 2-liter PD it uses the stock unit injectors with upgraded nozzles

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it will be using fmic that is my next thing to do I'm making from scratch it's going to be a lot of work

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
simply amazing!
You have some serious fab skills. How have you welded the pipework? It looks seamless

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
... I'm running a tdo4 13t high pressure Turbo had a TD06 20g low pressure... I have about 900 CFM of air to play with so we'll see where that takes me.
I don't know how you did the arithmetic to arrive at 900 CFM, but if the turbos are connected in series, you can't simply sum the CFMs of the HP and LP. The total max CFM is instead only that of the LP, that is, according to the below, closer to 600 CFM.

Not a knock, really - 600 CFM would still support about 400 HP in a TDI, which is more than you will likely actually achieve, but for the sake of correctness, 400 HP is more intellectually honest than 600 HP implied from the 900 CFM figure.

Love the fab work!

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for chiming in I guess I was just assuming that's how it worked someone I know told me that's how it worked but I wondered myself if they were true or not irregardless 640 CFM is alot of air for a 2l tdi thanks for posting the compressor Maps!

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Also based on some of the things I read people have said that the high pressure turbo helps to create flow as well I wouldn't assume that they're both added together but there is some sort of factor involved

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Everything's so shiny!

I can't even get v-bands to seal under muffler pressure, much less EMP, hah.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Also based on some of the things I read people have said that the high pressure turbo helps to create flow as well I wouldn't assume that they're both added together but there is some sort of factor involved
Think of the HP turbo and engine just as a larger engine that the LP turbo breathes into (and receives gasses from)

you might be thinking of how pressure ratios multiply when in series, where when you're running PR of 2 across both compressors you see 14.5 psig in interstage, then 43.5psig in intake manifold

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Eventually I think the low pressure will get upgraded to a 25g and the high pressure will get upgraded to a 19T

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Everything's so shiny!

I can't even get v-bands to seal under muffler pressure, much less EMP, hah.
The trick with v bands is to keep everything Superflat that's why I machine everything after welding I do strongly agree though v band can be a nuisance

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been working on the intercooler it's a lot of work I started out as a bare core there's not a lot of room on these B6 platforms I figured I would go custom the core is rated for 520 horse it's a good quality high density

Last edited: