leaking master cylinder

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
My fluid diapppears till I get a soft pedal a few months later after being full. Has anyone found it leaked into the booster in the back end of the cylinder? I could just add fluid every few months, 1/2 cup or so, but I need a real fix. I can't find evidence of any obvious leaks elsewhere. Also, sometimes when cold I get a trail of bluish smoke on my first long down hill. It looks like a PITA to change the master, so I have been putting it off. Also, is there a test positive for this leak issue?

Last edited:

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
leaking brake fluid

I might not have a brake issue. It could be in the clutch hydraulics because I have something leaking on the drivers side of the under engine pan, however the clutch pedal action feels normal. Both clutch and brake masters feed from the same reservior. i can't believe the cost of the clutch hydraulic line [$133], so I hope it's not that.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
It can leak into the booster.

Brake fluid is water soluble, is the fluid you see leaking? Time to remove the pan and do some looking. Could have a small leak that doesn't affect funcfuncfunction.