2012 Golf: How do I remove the front grill...

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I removed the 4 torx screws on top, but it does not seem to want to come out. Not putting too much pressure on it as I don't want to break anything. Am I missing something here? What else do I need to do?

Changing the VW emblem to a glossy black.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I believe the emblem just twists and pulls off ! No need to remove the entire grill ...

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I heard that too, but it doesn't seem to want to turn. It also has been said that it is easier if you remove the grill so you don't risk breaking anything on the emblem.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Got this off the golfmk6.com forum:

It can be done just by turning the emblem counterclockwise and pulling it out but if you don't want to brake any of the emblem clips you have to remove the upper grille first.

1) Remove the upper grille ( 4 T25 torx screws off the top of the grille assembly, then press the top of the bumper down, and at the same time pull the grille gently up and out.
2) Turn the emblem counterclockwise (about 20 degrees, you should hear a click) You have to turn the emblem first to align its clips with the “slots”.
3) Turn over the grille
4) Push down the bottom of the net (there are 2 clips holding it on the bottom)
5) Push and slide down the “net” just a little (there are 2 more clips holding it on the top)
You can also do it in a different order #4 and 5 first and then #1 (turn the emblem while watching the clips on the back) if you are afraid you can brake them.
6) Use a small screwdriver or a paint can opener (it has a small hook and it will be easier to pull the clips)
7) Find one of the clips and pulling it toward the center of the emblem, pull down the emblem at the same time (first make sure that the clips are aligned with the “slots”). If not align them first by turning the emblem to the left or right a little.
8) Do the same for the second clip. Usually that’s enough to remove the emblem but you can do it with the third one, too.
9) Put back the “net”
10) Put the emblem back
11) Turn it clockwise to align it (you will hear a click)

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
If you're trying to remove the emblem, it twists. If you're trying to remove the whole top grill, then remove the torx screws along the top and pull the grill straight forward. I usually start at one side so the clips come out easier.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Twisting mine was next to impossible. The direction is counter clockwise. Maybe the liberal application of WD40 would have helped. Instead I removed the front grill and broke off two of the three clips. No worries since I had a new black badge which rotated snugly into place.