Questions - 2006 BRM MKV - EGR Delete + Tune

mwmclelland15

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - 393xxxkm
Good day,

I currently have a 2006 Jetta TDI 5 Speed that has recently started the famous EGR cooler "hiss". Instead of throwing another cooler in I am looking at buying a "delete" kit. I have heard good this about this kit here: http://www.fixmyvw.com/brm-egr-cooler-bypass-delete-kit-by-buzzken/

Before I get into the questions I should mention I live in Ontario and I do not need to pass an emissions test where I am.

Q. I was recommended to install a Malone tune stage 1.5 however I would like others inputs. This would require me to either purchase the "Flashzilla" or rent it on top of purchasing the tune. Do I need to purchase the stage 1.5 tune or just the below $90 "EGR Delete" tune.

Q. Any recommendations away from the kit in the above link?

Thanks ahead of time!

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Install the delete kit and buy a Malone 1.5 tune. It really brings the car to life, and slightly improves MPGs.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Doesn't that kit retain the egr just deletes the cooler? If that is the case no need for tune if you don't want one. If you are going to fully delete it though I would just go all in and rent the flashzilla and do a stage 1 or 1.5 with egr delete and dynamic idle too since you are in canada. If you keep the egr though you can do the dynamic egr which is a nice alternative.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
When you delete the cooler, you also block the exhaust recirculation flow, which will throw EGR codes, even if the EGR valve is present.

mwmclelland15

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - 393xxxkm
Thanks all for your help. Did some more research and talked to Malone Tuning and was pointed in the direction I was originally heading, which is to install the "delete/block" kit and throw in a 1.5 tune.

Right now I will be running the car for a couple weeks as is. I'll post what my results are.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Just an FYI for you. I had a Malone Stg2 in my otherwise stock '06 BRM Jetta/5spd. Absolutely LOVED it and no boost creep issue noted.....already had a VR6 clutch in it though (2* failed DMF).