doing research TDI JETTA 2012 found this Consumers report looking to Buy a 2012 TDI

hobokenkid

TDI
jetta tdi sportswagan 2012
Question The REG Jetta Bottom lol would you guys agree with this???
Looking at buying a TDI this month sport-wagon Just want to get what I am in store with like upkeep $$$$ and reliability do people here glad they have the car I see people have diesdals from the 80-s and 90-s also is the STANDARD less hassle in terms of maintenance and reliablity then the AUTO on the 2012
Owner-satisfaction Ratings ----
Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.), would you get this car if you had to do it all over again?".

Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI 81
Subaru Outback 78
Audi A4 Avant AWD 73
Audi A6 Avant Supercharged 73
Honda Accord Crosstour FWD* 72
BMW 325xi 72
MEDIAN 72
Mazda5* 71
Honda Accord Crosstour AWD* 69
Toyota Venza (V6) 65
Toyota Venza (4-cyl.) 62
Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 5 61

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Despite what you may read here, IMO most people love their TDI Sportwagen. I do.

We bought it as the wifes car but after taking it every chance I got and leaving her with my truck, we bought her another car.

The truck is for sale.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Also, despite the name, the JSW is actually a Golf, not a Jetta. It matters ;)

Same base platform, but US Golfs get much nicer interiors than US Jettas.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I look for excuses to drive mine. Heck I now drive 40 miles roundtrip to fuel at my new favorite station. Why. I love driving down the back roads I take to get to the station.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
I totally get what you mean Skater. I've got some nice little twisty (at least as far as that goes for flat country...) two lane not far from my office. Nice little 10-20 mile loops depending on how far I feel like going. Very little traffic, and I've never seen a cop (not that I push it....no shoulder + ditches + occasional farm vehicles isn't a great combo). Nice lunch hour diversion.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Everybody has opinion- I look at Consumer Report in the same light as the tabloids at the grocery checkout.
Having said that, it just depends on what you are looking for.
I recommend VW-- if you want one- to properly own one, it does take a little extra effort (and somewhat higher maintenance cost over time).
If I was in the market, JSW TDI would be first choice, JSW gasser would be second choice. I have never considered Audi, BMW any different than VW, you buy one because you want one, not because they are exceptionally better value.

By and large, Honda is probably most reliable (with noted exception)

Subaru are very popular here-- AWD is the big thing here in the mountains (our wonderful winter weather).

My history with vehicles, I buy- drive for 100k miles and trade. Almost all my vehicles never saw anything other than oil changes, battery, tires, etc. Never entered service dept at dealership except for a recall or two.
Mazda, Honda, Ford have proven to be the "best" in my world. This is my first VW, so time will tell. It has been back to dealership 3 times in less than a year.

rmalone68

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Ive got a 2012 JSW, about 7k miles. I dont know how someone could want a small wagon and not like the car. Reliablity, we shall see. I like diesels, absolutely prefer them to gasoline vehicles and as such VW is really the only choice in the non luxury small car market, at least for now.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't recommend a 2009 - 2012 CR. I am looking to replace my diesel fleet and am holding off until the 2013 motor is out. Hopefully a proper EGR/intercooler, urea and HPFP will make it a 1/4 million mile car like my others with the mileage I expect out of the hassle of driving a diesel.

Right now a direct injected turbocharged car is the cheapest way to go. Its my engineering nature but can't own the CP4.1 pump in its current forum, it would be in the back of my mind with every revolution of the motor, its my "design flaw".

Last edited:

rmalone68

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Urea would be better than the dpf. Look at the milage they are getting from the Passat. What is the hassel of driving a diesel? I think the driving experience is superior to gasoline.

MotoWPK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Urea would be better than the dpf. Look at the milage they are getting from the Passat. What is the hassel of driving a diesel? I think the driving experience is superior to gasoline.
Urea is not an alternative to the dpf - all modern road going diesels require a dpf to meet soot emission limits.

Urea is used for NOx control. The non-urea diesels rely on an NOx catalyst + engine control parameters. Not sure if the urea diesels do without the NOx catalyst entirely (they may use a smaller one than if they did not use urea). The mileage improvement of using urea derives from engine control parameters that do not need to be compromised (from a mileage standpoint) in the interest of NOx reduction.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Love my Tdi, but you have to be a "car guy" to get it. if your looking for a car you can just put fuel in and drive, keep looking. You have to know a little about your TDi to keep it happy and not get snowed by the dealer service dept.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
There's lots of choices coming out in the next 6 months or so. I'm considering a new vehicle and this time I'm not so sure it'll be a diesel.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Everybody has opinion- I look at Consumer Report in the same light as the tabloids at the grocery checkout.

Consumers Reports doesn't accept advertising like Motor Trend and its car of the year issue. It surveys its subscribers to collect information for its car surveys on reliability. Substantially better than any tabloid.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
There's lots of choices coming out in the next 6 months or so. I'm considering a new vehicle and this time I'm not so sure it'll be a diesel.
Traitor :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
I read today that in the not too distant future even gas engines will be required to have particulate filters. Tree huggers ??

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I love both my JSW and Golf. If you go with the DSG, you'll have to pop for the fuild changes every 40K. Dealer in Charlotte quoted my $339 for the service. Read up about the engines but remember as you do that there are many on here trying to determine if the fuel pump is really an issue and how to fix it if it is. Failure rates are still extremely low and we don't know yet what the NHSTA is going to do for us.

I can't imagine that VW would switch the engine over to urea since they would have to have it recertified. We already know they wouldn't spend the money to do it unless they were forced to.

PhotoWrite

Veteran Member
Urea is not an alternative to the dpf - all modern road going diesels require a dpf to meet soot emission limits.

Urea is used for NOx control. The non-urea diesels rely on an NOx catalyst + engine control parameters. Not sure if the urea diesels do without the NOx catalyst entirely (they may use a smaller one than if they did not use urea). The mileage improvement of using urea derives from engine control parameters that do not need to be compromised (from a mileage standpoint) in the interest of NOx reduction.

I was looking to confirm the current emissions set-up of a new 2012 JSW TDI...
Do they have dpf and cat-converters but Urea/DEF is not needed? Personally I like the idea of not needing urea, but it is possibly just my old-school thinking. I've owned diesels for decades.

We have a 2000 Golf TDI, 5-speed. I'd like to replace it or just add a TDI JSW 6-speed to the fleet.

Is EGR clogging just as much an issue with the current JSW TDI as on our old 2000 Golf?

James

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No urea in any of the cr diesels for the golf, jetta, or jsw. Models years produced since 2009.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
........Consumers Reports doesn't accept advertising like Motor Trend and its car of the year issue. It surveys its subscribers to collect information for its car surveys on reliability. Substantially better than any tabloid.
Manure. Consumer McDuh is in many ways worse than any tabloid - publish any data to support their "facts" (statistics) = nope. Car turns into a ronson & burnt out light = failure, no weighting. At least a tabloid doesn't present themselves factual.

It's simply a magazine for those too feeble minded to use google.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
(snipped)
Is EGR clogging just as much an issue with the current JSW TDI as on our old 2000 Golf?
James
EGR clogging was an issue of sulfur in fuel. Your 2000 Tdi and all diesels in America have not had EGR clogging since late 2006, when 15 ppm sulfur ULSD fuel was rolled out in major markets. It's a total non-issue and has been for 6 years almost. By 2008, ULSD fuel was ubiquitiously available.

Bottom line: leave the EGR alone and don't touch it. If you previously deleted it, re-install it. It will increase cold weather, city FE substantially.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Manure. Consumer McDuh is in many ways worse than any tabloid - publish any data to support their "facts" (statistics) = nope. Car turns into a ronson & burnt out light = failure, no weighting. At least a tabloid doesn't present themselves factual.

It's simply a magazine for those too feeble minded to use google.
The main thing I use CR for is the owner reviews. Based on the testing that they do for my industry, I have doubts about any of their testing and relating it to the real world.The single exception would be their road tests for mileage. It incorporates a lot of variables that are much closer to real world driving.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Of the cars listed in the first post I believe the only other ones available with a manual transmission is the Subaru and the Mazda 5. I think the new Outback is especially bloated and ugly. The Audi Avant is nice, but it's Quattro only (I think) and automatic only. Two strikes. I do like the Mazda 5, and would give it serious thought if I were still driving kids around. It would be excellent if you could get it without the 3rd row seats.

All in, none of those cars are anywhere near as appealing to me as the Sportwagen.

PhotoWrite

Veteran Member
EGR clogging was an issue of sulfur in fuel. Your 2000 Tdi and all diesels in America have not had EGR clogging since late 2006, when 15 ppm sulfur ULSD fuel was rolled out in major markets. It's a total non-issue and has been for 6 years almost. By 2008, ULSD fuel was ubiquitiously available.

Bottom line: leave the EGR alone and don't touch it. If you previously deleted it, re-install it. It will increase cold weather, city FE substantially.
I didn't realize that EGR clogging was only a problem with LSD and not ULSD.

I've never touched the EGR on our car, it ran regular low-sulfur until the ULSD was in the pumps. I bet our older car has plenty of gunk/EGR build-up from the many thousands of miles prior to 2007, but I don't care to mess with it as long as it runs okay.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
A grand total of 3 posts (including this barely literate one) by the OP all on 5/10 and 5/11. Nothing since.

Anyone else smell troll spam?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I can't recommend a 2009 - 2012 CR. I am looking to replace my diesel fleet and am holding off until the 2013 motor is out. Hopefully a proper EGR/intercooler, urea and HPFP will make it a 1/4 million mile car like my others with the mileage I expect out of the hassle of driving a diesel.

Right now a direct injected turbocharged car is the cheapest way to go. Its my engineering nature but can't own the CP4.1 pump in its current forum, it would be in the back of my mind with every revolution of the motor, its my "design flaw".
agreed....VW should shut down completely and give up and go home. why bother buying their cars/ I mean a few pumps have blown mainly to fuel screw ups....yeah we know how you feel westro...VAG close the plants now! lets all wait for 2013...cause they will be BETTER....

PhotoWrite

Veteran Member
snip...yeah we know how you feel westro...VAG close the plants now! lets all wait for 2013...cause they will be BETTER....
Having watched and participated in the world of diesel emission changes over the last two decades, I've yet to be very impressed with the changes required by new emissions laws. Surely some of the new stuff is better than some of the old stuff, however I tend to cautious about being an early adopter, often preferring the devil I know vs. the one that has yet to hatch. ;)
So as long as the plants stay open, I'd like to buy one of the current 6-speed JSW TDIs before they change…just need to find the money.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Having watched and participated in the world of diesel emission changes over the last two decades, I've yet to be very impressed with the changes required by new emissions laws. Surely some of the new stuff is better than some of the old stuff, however I tend to cautious about being an early adopter, often preferring the devil I know vs. the one that has yet to hatch. ;)
So as long as the plants stay open, I'd like to buy one of the current 6-speed JSW TDIs before they change…just need to find the money.
hundreds of thousands are dealing with the new emissions and their potential challenges...that is life in the fast lane...I will tell you I dont miss the smell or the soot out the pipe ONE bit....My tail pipe is so clean after 46,000kms that it looks new....no black residue on the bumper etc....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
hundreds of thousands are dealing with the new emissions and their potential challenges...that is life in the fast lane...I will tell you I dont miss the smell or the soot out the pipe ONE bit....My tail pipe is so clean after 46,000kms that it looks new....no black residue on the bumper etc....
Maybe the Golf is tuned differently, but every time I clean the rear window on my '12 I get black soot on the cloth. Certainly the car is much cleaner. Smoke free? I doubt it.

PhotoWrite

Veteran Member
Is the engine oil still coal black and full of soot?

Yes, many thousands have the new/current versions, and that's what I'm more interested in, not the yet to be revealed version(s).

After running an early errand this morning I stopped by our one and only local VW dealer before the salesmen were lurking, and had looked at a few JSW...

What a nice car that would be for my wife and I, with extra space for dogs crates and other large cargo & trips. Unfortunately, the only way to make it happen sooner rather than in a couple years would be to sell some of the current fleet (more than the Golf TDI which is a given), or go into car debt which we've been avoiding.