TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Steering wheel vibration at 110 km's plus (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480605)

FXDL August 13th, 2017 09:49

Steering wheel vibration at 110 km's plus

All four wheels rebalanced and four wheel alignment done at vw dealer. Vibration was at 110 plus and now twice at bad at 110 plus and now at 100 km's too. So with all what dealer done they just made it worse even. Holy crap is not any fun to drive now at 100 k's plus.

FXDL August 13th, 2017 09:53

It's a 2015 jetta tdi as I forgot to mention above. What gives, any help please.

Tdijarhead August 13th, 2017 09:55

You've got a bad tire. Friend of mine bought 4 new ones and had a vibration at 70 mph, tire shop rebalanced them 3 times, they finally found a defect in one of the new tires. Or in inner axle cv joint. I'd sooner think the tire though.

FXDL August 13th, 2017 16:21

Funny thing is the car going at 110 km's vibrated and up. Now after balancing all four wheesl and doing a 4 wheel alignment it now vibrates even worse at the 110 k an hour and now it does it at 100 k's per hr. Where as it did not vibrate at 100. The car now has some 49000 k's on it. The car had 41800 5 weeks ago when I got it as there was no brand new 2015's that I could find when turning in my dirty 2010 back in so I took the 15 with the 41 k's on it. One left tire was replaced the first time I went in a week ago and the second time in all 4 balanced and 4 wheel alignment done. What gets me is it worse after. Maybe they need to look at changing the other 3 tires as maybe they have steel belt in one or more of the tires that has shifted? The mechanic suggestef that the cv axles could be at fault. They do what you would think would correct the problem but instead their efforts have made it much worse instead. No fun at all driving with the steering wheel shaking back and forth now at 100 k's and faster. Makes no sense it got worse.

Tdijarhead August 13th, 2017 18:01

Those cars have set for over a year and despite what they might say, the tires are probably flat spotted.

FXDL August 13th, 2017 18:50

My had not sat for a year, as it had some 41000 k's on it. The tires could be the problem just the same as I don't much think the stock tires vw uses are the best choice. They only use and sell them because they are made in Germany????
Come time for new tires I will use made in North America, US or Canada and that goes for winter tires too.

FXDL August 14th, 2017 13:49

Now that i drive some more I get the vibration in the steering wheel at 80 km's even so what the hell is going on? Has vw another piece of crap?

Tdijarhead August 14th, 2017 14:19

New tires. If you just bought this vehicle take it back to the dealer and tell them to put brand new tires on it. If this was a turn in maybe someone put their crap tires on it before they turned it in.

FXDL August 14th, 2017 18:38

It was a dealer car. It was one of 3 cars they had as demo's. I am going back up Thursday evening for them to look at again and this time they better pull a rabbit out of their hat and fix this time. Goes to show you how good they really aren't. Will suggest they put 4 wheels that they know are good from a car that runs smooth on mine and test. If corrected then theirs the problem. If so replace all of the tires and at the same time check the mag wheels for run out.

FXDL August 14th, 2017 18:40

The summer tires only have some 23000 km's on them as they changed from summer to winter as needed.

FXDL August 14th, 2017 18:42

I have four wheels with summer tires so maybe I get off my ass and try them out. Maybe just moving the front wheels to the back and rear to the front and see what gives.

Itsmillertime88 August 18th, 2017 21:28

If the tires have been balanced that many times the only last thing you could try is a road force balance if they haven't already. Usually that is a last resort to see if they will balance out but if that doesn't work then the tires are too far gone and need to be replaced

FXDL August 21st, 2017 05:26

Dealer was going to send me for the road force but at 200 bucks and 2 weeks waiting list, they just installed the other 3 new tires as the other one was installed a week before. The 3 tires where as they thought would not be corrected by the road force.

Jetta_Pilot August 31st, 2017 06:49

If you bought the car with 49k on the clock, someone who had driven it before you got it may have hit a curb or a big hole in the road at some speed.

I would have them check both front axles as they will also cause the vibration you are experiencing.

dandywriter September 9th, 2017 11:46

Have you re-torqued the lug bolts to 88 ft/lbs? Loose one will cause vibration. Also, do any of the hubs get hot? If yes, check for a defective caliper. This also can cause a speed-related vibration.