The fun switch

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Hi, all.

I just discovered the "fun switch" under my car's go pedal. It's probably really called the "downshift switch" or something else. Anyway, it brings the engine to life like I have not seen before.

This morning I was manually shifting my DSG, and sure the car is decently strong, but in 4th gear it seems to top out. I figured there had to be more power in the engine, so after the next stoplight changed to green, I decided to see what I could find. I pushed the go pedal harder and found what I am calling the "fun switch." When I pushed that, the tires chirped, the "you're having too much fun" (traction) dashboard light flashed a few times, the engine roared to life, and I ran through the gears faster than I've ever seen it do before.

Now, I want fuel economy, so I'm not going to be doing that often, but it's nice to know that it's there, and that the car is a lot more fun than I knew before.

Now I REALLY need to get a GTI paddle steering wheel!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
The official name is "kickdown switch"

It forces a downshift if you have an automatic transmission (or DSG in this case)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Hmm, this "switch" seems to be missing from mine. Pedal to the floor and there's no extra switch to press, definitely not a tire squealer.

This switch should be missing if you have a manual transmission. However, I'm pretty sure that all cars with automatic transmissions will have what is commonly referred to as a "kickdown" switch for passing. In general, it just causes the tranny to downshift to increase engine rpms. In theory this "switch" could be implemented in ECU software instead of having a physical switch. I am not aware of VW doing this, but who knows.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Ha, Kerma answered while I was typing.

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The official name is "kickdown switch"

It forces a downshift if you have an automatic transmission (or DSG in this case)
Yes but if I'm already in manual mode it won't force a downshift. At least mine doesn't.

There is a looping on-ramp I take every day, I use 3rd gear sometimes for the extra revs but will usually just keep it in 4th and mash the go pedal.

There's no kickdown or other sporty behavior, it just kind of says "well, ok if that's what you want, hold on a second let me see what i've got" kind of response.

All stock of course.

Kerma, you are a bad influence :D

eagle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Yes but if I'm already in manual mode it won't force a downshift. At least mine doesn't.
Interesting, I'll try that tonight. I could swear that mine executed a kickdown in manual mode -- I could swear that I saw the "6" change to a "2."