fuel filter change on 2011 jetta

cat bandit

TDI
2011 jetta
I'm coming up on my 20000 mile maintenance, and I'm wondering how you prime the fuel filter. I don't really have time to take the car to the dealer because of work, and I'm worried about changing it, and not being able to bleed the air out. Any thoughts? Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm coming up on my 20000 mile maintenance, and I'm wondering how you prime the fuel filter. I don't really have time to take the car to the dealer because of work, and I'm worried about changing it, and not being able to bleed the air out. Any thoughts? Thanks
The only good way to prime (fill) the fuel system after opening it up is to use the dealer's scan tool or VCDS. Turning the key off and on does not do it properly. There are three fuel pumps you have to turn on at the same time. This is easy with VCDS, but very difficult without it. If you do not have VCDS, you will have to find someone nearby who does and have them do it before you try to start the engine. The procedure is not difficult and it takes less than 5 minutes, but there is no other way to do it.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's what I was afraid of... where can I get a scan tool, and what do they cost?
Ross-Tech makes the only full featured scan tool that will do what you want. The MicroCAN cable is your cheapest option that will work on your car. http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

This cable only works on 2005.5+ VWs. The cost is $249 and for an extra $100 you can get a HEX+CAN version that will work with almost any VW. The way this product works is you buy the interface cable. The cable includes a "dongle" which unlocks the full capability of the program. The actual program can be downloaded for free, so once you own the cable, you can upgrade the software for free every time the software is updated. If you plan on keeping your VW for a while, this is probably the best investment you could make. It will pay for itself in time, in more than one way.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did a search, and was looking at the Ross tech system, and I'll be buying one soon. Have you heard of any problems with them?
No, not one. Their after the sale support is second to none. I have asked questions and received email replies from the owner of the company on a Sunday afternoon. There are very few companies you can say that about. The software is excellent, beta versions of the latest version are often available and any "bugs" are fixed before the final version is released. This is one of the most thoroughly tested and best supported pieces of software I have ever seen. There is a slight "learning curve" figuring out how to best use it, but there are also on-line manuals and support forums available. Highly recommended.

Have Fun!

Don

cat bandit

TDI
2011 jetta
Ok, perfect. You really can't say that about many companies for sure! Now, should I go with the hex can? Or the k2 one? Their chart said both will work I think, but its confusing.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, perfect. You really can't say that about many companies for sure! Now, should I go with the hex can? Or the k2 one? Their chart said both will work I think, but its confusing.
If all you care to work on is your own car - the MicroCAN will work fine. I bought the HEX+CAN model because I have friends with older VWs. Ross-Tech has models that only work with older cars (KII-USB) and they have models that only work with newer cars (microCAN) for $249. The $349 models (HEX+CAN) will work on both new and old VWs. Therefore, it really depends on whether or not it is worth an extra $100 to be able to help owners of pre-2006 Volkswagens (and Audis). All these interface cables are "full versions" and they will all do the same things. The only difference is which year cars they will work with.

You do not want the K2 one - it is for 2005.5 and earlier cars. It will not work with your 2011 model. For your car you want either the MicroCAN or one of the HEX+CAN ones.

Have Fun!

Don

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
i replaced my fuel filter at 30kms and it was very simpell, there was no need to VCDS either. I have the kessy's as well.

Just cycled on/off about 5 times and started right up.

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
i replaced my fuel filter at 30kms and it was very simpell, there was no need to VCDS either. I have the kessy's as well.

interesting...has anyone else tried this?

where did you hear about doing it this way? thx

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Read FAQ #24 in this post (and follow the link): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2355828&postcount=1

This FAQ says it is for 2009 -2010 cars, but the engine is the same in a 2011, so it applies equally to 2011 (and probably 2012) cars

My service manual says that any time the fuel system is opened, you should properly "fill" the system before starting. It might work without doing this, but I prefer to follow instructions to minimize damage.

Have Fun!

Don

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
uggg...im gotta do my 30k service soon not looking forward to that bill at the dealer :(

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Canada doesn't get free service, they do get a longer warranty right?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
warranty is 5yr 100,000kms....i have 5yr 120,000kms as i extended it due to driving a ton.

Yep no free service here lol

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
you have the "early" two hold "oylimpic" o-ring filters on the 2011, or the one hole "older style"?

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I wish VW offered everyone a choice instead of saying this is where you live this is what you get. I would have certainly gone for a longer warranty instead of the service plan - just because I look wrenching on my own cars. Just te way it is though.

VW_owner

TDI
2011 VW Jetta TDI Highline with DSG Platinum Grey with Titan Black Leather
Canada doesn't get free service, they do get a longer warranty right?
Yes 4yr bumper to bumper, I haggled during before taking delivery and got the 7yr 160000km bumper to bumper for 1/2 price after hearing about the HPFP issues in the US, and they through in the Nav system and Leather upgrade not the leatherette, since I did not want it, the only Highline TDI with DSG they had coming in was the upgraded one with the real leather and nav package so they charged me the price of the model without the leather and NAv and also they included both sets of mats and mudflaps and hood deflector

Last edited:

Highline Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline Sedan
Yes 4yr bumper to bumper, I haggled during before taking delivery and got the 7yr 160000km bumper to bumper for 1/2 price after hearing about the HPFP issues in the US, and they through in the Nav system and Leather upgrade not the leatherette, since I did not want it, the only Highline TDI with DSG they had coming in was the upgraded one with the real leather and nav package so they charged me the price of the model without the leather and NAv and also they included both sets of mats and mudflaps and hood deflector
Nice deal!

TDI love my VW

TDI
2010 Jetta
Fuel filter change.

Concerning priming the fuel system without a VCDS: After closing the filter canister could it the be topped off by removing one of the hoses and squirting fuel into one of the tube on the cover? Which of the 4 tubes would be best for this?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
The only good way to prime (fill) the fuel system after opening it up is to use the dealer's scan tool or VCDS. Turning the key off and on does not do it properly. There are three fuel pumps you have to turn on at the same time.
What happens if you don't fully prime the fuel system or use the VCDS? Will it just take longer to start until it pumps all the way through? Or is there some damage that could occur?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What happens if you don't fully prime the fuel system or use the VCDS? Will it just take longer to start until it pumps all the way through? Or is there some damage that could occur?
This is a very good question. We really do not know if any damage can (will) be caused by not priming the fuel system. What we do know is that any air in the fuel lines will cause an at least momentary lack of fuel flow through the low pressure side of the pump. How long it can go without fuel flow, or how much damage can be done is a question we would all love to have an answer to. Not priming does not seem to have much of an effect on the engine starting (at least most of the time) or running. All we know for sure is that the service manual (Bentley) says that any time the fuel system is opened up, it should be primed (filled) using VCDS (or the VW scan tool).

Unfortunately it appears that many VW dealer's service departments do not read (or follow) the manual and do not bother to fill the system before cranking the engine. Does this cause any damage or does this shorten the life of the HPFP? - we really do not know for sure. VW is silent on this issue and in my opinion it is a good reason to not let a dealer change the oil in a CR engine.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI love my VW

TDI
2010 Jetta
After reading all the comments about changing the fuel filter without a VCDS I was more than a little concerned about the engine not running or damaging the high pressure pump. But I took a deep breath and changed it anyway. I'm not sure it makes a difference but I have a 2010 Jetta which uses the filter with the single small hole. After replacing the filter I filled the canister with fuel to about 3/4" from the top and screwed it back together. I started the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes before driving it around the neighborhood. I didn't go far in case I had to walk back home. It ran absolutely fine. I have since driven about 20 miles without a hicup. At least from my experience all the concern about changing the filter without a VCDS is overrated.

wruben

TDI
2011 JSW
Just had my fuel filter done today, 2011 sportwagon, and I watched the whole swap...

He did not empty it out, just swapped old and new filter and orings... Cap back on and torqued.

He cycled the ignition switch on / off twice and then started it.

I asked him if he needed to hook up to the system to prime and he said the 2011 and newer did not need that due to the in tank pump... Not needed.

Makes me want survey a few more dealer tdi techs to see if that is fine..