TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI 101 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Stripped harmonic balancer bolt (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=500218)

yahjnby June 30th, 2019 20:36

Stripped harmonic balancer bolt

Trying to work on my engine and I stripped two of the Allen bolts on my harmonic balancer. I have not bothered trying the other two yet.
Anyone have experience dealing with these things when they strip. I have begun to hate Allen bolts on VW‘s with a white hot passion.
Fortunately I’m not in a rush. I’m hoping somebody here has been successful with something. I do have something that I used on stripped Valve cover bolts, but I don’t think the little screw on caps are going to fit in the space of the harmonic balancer, let alone allow me to stabilize it while I crank on it.
1998 new beetle TDI
https://i.imgur.com/iZkk9IC.jpg?2

mr.loops June 30th, 2019 20:49

Ya you wonít be able to get a bolt extractor in there - too tight

I would grab a torx bit ( find one that is a good tight fit) and hammer it into the offending hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamatt June 30th, 2019 20:58

I'd tack weld the bit you used on there if you can't get extractor in there.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead July 1st, 2019 04:19

Use a hammer and a piece of rod on them. I always give each bolt two or three solid wacks with this method. So far I’ve never had one strip out.

As far as the already stripped ones , tack weld as mentioned, hammering a torx or next size Allen into the hole, or hammering a socket over the head. Before trying any of those methods hit those stripped bolts a I described above, it helps to break them loose.

Of course you will want to replace all 4 with new bolts.

dogdots July 1st, 2019 05:41

12mm 12 point socket driven on with a hammer will get those out. Before trying to loosen the 2 you haven't yet, place the 6mm allen socket in the head and tap several times with a hammer, then use an air or electric impact to remove them.

You can also drill off the head of the stripped ones, they are pretty soft and drill easily. The 12mm 12 point socket is the cheapest and easiest way.

BobnOH July 1st, 2019 12:31

The one good thing with the socket head screws, they're easy to drill off cause they're pre-centered. They make a lot of different extraction solutions, in the mean time hit them with PB Blaster (or better) followed by hard raps as jarhead suggests, repeat.

Powder Hound July 1st, 2019 14:01

I like the Irwin bit that goes around the head. They always work for these bolts. Well, they've always worked for me. There's a first time for everything...

Cheers,

PH

csstevej July 1st, 2019 14:36

Yeah I’ve done the socket and drilling the head off. Both work great, once you drill the head off and dampener removed the screws pretty much come out with your hand.

GEFP July 1st, 2019 18:22

I've had success with using an air hammer with a punch point in the center of the bolt. Just put on a small vice grip onto the head and they turn out quite easy while hammering with the air chisel.

jokila July 2nd, 2019 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder Hound (Post 5519107)
I like the Irwin bit that goes around the head. They always work for these bolts. Well, they've always worked for me. There's a first time for everything...

Cheers,

PH

I agree with this. I have used Irwin's for this kind of purpose for many years. There is enough room.

I use a hammer to tap the extractor bit into the soft bolt head, then remove with the 3/8" socket and extension.

williambill July 2nd, 2019 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogdots (Post 5518995)
12mm 12 point socket driven on with a hammer will get those out. Before trying to loosen the 2 you haven't yet, place the 6mm allen socket in the head and tap several times with a hammer, then use an air or electric impact to remove them.

You can also drill off the head of the stripped ones, they are pretty soft and drill easily. The 12mm 12 point socket is the cheapest and easiest way.

I second the 12mm socket method. Works REALLY well and doesn’t damage anything.

yahjnby July 3rd, 2019 04:18

Thanks all. I’m getting back to it this weekend, and PB blasting in the meantime. I’ll let you know what I end up trying and how it works out.

1854sailor July 3rd, 2019 11:42

My question is how did you strip them out? Were you using the correct size metric hex key or the closest SAE size that would fit?

jokila July 3rd, 2019 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by yahjnby (Post 5519405)
Thanks all. Iím getting back to it this weekend, and PB blasting in the meantime. Iíll let you know what I end up trying and how it works out.

When you install them don't overtorque them. It's only 18 ft lbs.

1854sailor July 3rd, 2019 11:51

For the ALH it is actually 10Nm (~7.5 ft-lb) + 1/4 turn. And they should be replaced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokila (Post 5519503)
When you install them don't overtorque them. It's only 18 ft lbs.