2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI price inquiry.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Reflex Silver, gray interior, manual transmission, excellent tires, 51k.

What would be a good price? He's asking $18,200. Sounds decent but you guys are the experts. =)

Last edited:

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
BoiseTDI said:
Reflex Silver, gray interior, manual transmission, excellent tires, 51k.

What would be a good price? He's asking $18,200. Sounds decent but you guys are the experts. =)
I'm not an expert (by far) but it sounds a little high. Does it have any modifications done to it? What about trim? (GL, GLS)

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
schwechel said:
I'm not an expert (by far) but it sounds a little high. Does it have any modifications done to it? What about trim? (GL, GLS)
No mods. Just a gls wagon, with manual. Looks clean. He dropped price to $17.2k. I'm trying to talk him down to $16-16.5k, then we would talk.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
oilhammer said:
5 speed wagon, he may get his asking price.
Are 5 speeds worth more? If so why? I thought autos were always worth more. Is there something wrong with the auto tranys for these?

Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
BoiseTDI said:
Is there something wrong with the auto tranys for these?

Thanks!
Hahaha....yes. Yes there is.

But really you have to remember a couple things. First, one of the main driving forces for people to buy a TDI is fuel economy. And the manual transmission does a better job. The second thing is that the economy comes at a decent level of performance. Again, the slushbox trumps a lot of that. Then the fact that many TDI owners drive their cars a LOT. Which means usually a lot of highway miles, in which case you really are better of with a proper manual gearbox.

The auto trans was a $990 option when new, but when used it becomes a $4800 liability. A liability most people who are wanting to save money do not want.

So, if given the choice, I'd pay more to get "less" and find one with a manual gearbox. Then all you have to worry about is the DMF ;)

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
oilhammer said:

But really you have to remember a couple things. First, one of the main driving forces for people to buy a TDI is fuel economy. And the manual transmission does a better job. The second thing is that the economy comes at a decent level of performance. Again, the slushbox trumps a lot of that. Then the fact that many TDI owners drive their cars a LOT. Which means usually a lot of highway miles, in which case you really are better of with a proper manual gearbox.

The auto trans was a $990 option when new, but when used it becomes a $4800 liability. A liability most people who are wanting to save money do not want.

So, if given the choice, I'd pay more to get "less" and find one with a manual gearbox. Then all you have to worry about is the DMF ;)
Thanks for clearing that up. whewww. =) At least I haven't bought an auto so I am happy. =)

Mobiledj

TDI
Jetta
oilhammer said:

Does this hold true to the Tiptronic Transmission too? I am looking to buy a TDI but with all the rush hour driving I do I was leaning towards an auto.

oilhammer

TDI
Mobiledj said:
Does this hold true to the Tiptronic Transmission too? I am looking to buy a TDI but with all the rush hour driving I do I was leaning towards an auto.
Hmmm...you should search for my posts ranting on people using the term "Tiptronic" as I have no idea what transmission you are talking about.

*Yes, the transmission in the T'reg TDI supplied by Aisin is a very good unit.

*Yes, the transmission in the B5 TDI supplied by ZF is a very good unit.

*So far the Jatco supplied transmission in some A4 chassis cars seems to be holding up OK.

*The court is still out on the DSG transmission.

*The 2.5L gasser A5's Aisin supplied 6 speed autobox will probably hold up well :)

*all of these transmissions are "Tiptronic". The term Tip merely denotes a control function, it is not at all a specific transmission identifier. Please do not use it.;)

It is like asking "how good of fuel mileage does a TDI get?" Well, a 10 cylinder T'reg, which is in fact a TDI, gets pretty crappy mileage!

Last edited:

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
This is why you are here to educate us rookies =)

oilhammer said:
Hmmm...you should search for my posts ranting on people using the term "Tiptronic" as I have no idea what transmission you are talking about.

*Yes, the transmission in the T'reg TDI supplied by Aisin is a very good unit.

*Yes, the transmission in the B5 TDI supplied by ZF is a very good unit.

*So far the Jatco supplied transmission in some A4 chassis cars seems to be holding up OK.

*The court is still out on the DSG transmission.

*The 2.5L gasser A5's Aisin supplied 6 speed autobox will probably hold up well :)

*all of these transmissions are "Tiptronic". The term Tip merely denotes a control function, it is not at all a specific transmission identifier. Please do not use it.;)

It is like asking "how good of fuel mileage does a TDI get?" Well, a 10 cylinder T'reg, which is in fact a TDI, gets pretty crappy mileage!

Mobiledj

TDI
Jetta
BoiseTDI said:
This is why you are here to educate us rookies =)
Thanks for the info ... all I see in advertisements is that it is has a tiptronic automatic. I guess I have to ask sellers more questions but I doubt they would know unless they are enthusiasts

oilhammer

TDI
Mobiledj said:
Thanks for the info ... all I see in advertisements is that it is has a tiptronic automatic. I guess I have to ask sellers more questions but I doubt they would know unless they are enthusiasts
It is really just a case of automatic or manual.

Darkhrse99

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
O/T but why is ther such difference in price from 2000-2003. I just bought my sisters tdi last month and the blue book on it was $5800 with 130,000. that's a 12,000 dollar difference for 3 years and 80,000 miles. Why do you guy's think there is a hugh gap in price? I believe the body style are still the same?

oilhammer

TDI
Darkhrse99 said:
O/T but why is ther such difference in price from 2000-2003. I just bought my sisters tdi last month and the blue book on it was $5800 with 130,000. that's a 12,000 dollar difference for 3 years and 80,000 miles. Why do you guy's think there is a hugh gap in price? I believe the body style are still the same?
If you bought a 2000 TDI with 130k on it for $5800 you got a good deal. Nice sister!

DanEboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Auto
The car in question is a wagon.
Not many made in Jetta MkIV model.

So, I have a plan...
Buy one good running low mileage Jetta that's been totaled in the back,
and one smashed up front with blown engine wagon, and get out the torch
and vwallah... I just took two $2,500 cars and made one $15,000 car!;)

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
Fair market value

I just spent two months searching for my ideal car: 2003 5 spd TDI wagon. What I found was wagons are few, TDI wagons fewer, and 5 speed manual made it very difficult to find. Most had mileage about 60K - 150K, cheaper on the east coast for some reason, but I got lucky and found a GLS model here on the west coast. Pricing definitely jumped between sedan (less) and wagon (more), automatic (less) vs. manual (more), and gas (less) or diesel (more). Much has to do with popularity and availablity. My search had me thrashing thru ever type of website I could find. Craigslist, KBB, autobytel, Little Nickel, etc, as well as dealership sites. It was a good learning process and you will come to learn what is out there and at what price. If I had kept searching for my car in a forest green it might have been a year! Good Luck.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Yeah, I'm with you. The great deal that I need to get to cinvince me to get a TDI wagon is just too hard to find. I have been torn between the TDI and the 08 Scion xB. I have decided to go with the new xB. They are much easier to come by plus more reliability and you get your choice of colors AND 0 miles! :D

AK islandr said:
I just spent two months searching for my ideal car: 2003 5 spd TDI wagon. What I found was wagons are few, TDI wagons fewer, and 5 speed manual made it very difficult to find. Most had mileage about 60K - 150K, cheaper on the east coast for some reason, but I got lucky and found a GLS model here on the west coast. Pricing definitely jumped between sedan (less) and wagon (more), automatic (less) vs. manual (more), and gas (less) or diesel (more). Much has to do with popularity and availablity. My search had me thrashing thru ever type of website I could find. Craigslist, KBB, autobytel, Little Nickel, etc, as well as dealership sites. It was a good learning process and you will come to learn what is out there and at what price. If I had kept searching for my car in a forest green it might have been a year! Good Luck.

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
BoiseTDI said:
How are the auto transmissions in the 2004 Jetta TDI Wagons?
They are fine. Just make sure you have the AT Filter and Fluid replaced every 50-60K miles. I have a DSG in my 06.5 and have to change mine every 40K. So find a decent TDI mechanic via TDIClub.com in your state. I would not trust any dealer out there to touch my transmission or timing belt.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Seems I have found the TDI wagon I was looking for. I will post pics and details on monday!