What shocks for a 2003 Jetta?

gnel

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I bought a 2003 Jetta TDI with 104,000 miles on it:D . I'm not sure but I believe it has the original shocks/struts. I live here in Mexico and the roads are pretty bad with lots of topes(speed bumps) and baches (pot holes). What do you guys think would be a good match shock wise for my road conditions? I'll be going to Texas to buy them so brand availability is no problem. Thanks g

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
The Bilstein Touring Class (TC) struts are an affordable mild upgrade to OEM. They are somewhat stiffer, but not harshly so, and have a lifetime guarantee. Other brands to look at might be Koni and Eibach.

gnel

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the quick responce. I have used bilteins and KYB gas adjust in the past on class 11 bugs and liked them alot. Any feed back on the KYB AGX adjustables? Good price and you don't have to remove the shock to adjust them.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
My experience is KYB is not a good product. I had them on the '85 Jetta and the shafts rusted on the rears and this wore the seals out and they leaked.

I have a set of Koni Reds (they are adjustable) and I adjusted them 1/4 turn from full soft and they are pretty good. If I could do it over, I'd probally try the Koni FSDs (nonadjustable), but they are more expensive.

--Nate

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
KYBs are not very good.

I like Bilstein, Koni, or Sachs. Much depends on how stiff you want it.

MJM Autohaus

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
For those that have considered Bilstein Sport or HD Shocks (Sport for lowering springs and HD for stock springs), our "45% off Bilstein Retail Group Buy" is still going strong and will go throughout the end of the year.

We also have specials on KONI Sports, Reds, and Orange series shock absorbers. PM us for deals on those, too!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
02DslPwr said:
+1 for KONI FSDs if they are in the budget, I love em!
Make that a +2 for the FSDs, as I like them too. The only thing I don't like is the rust I see developing on the gold painted outer pieces.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
+3 for Koni FSD's I have had mine in for 4 years now. I agree they could use tougher paint. Mine are real rusty especially the rears.

MJM Autohaus

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
For those of you preferring the KONI FSDs over the Bilsteins, we are stocking warehouse distributor for KONI and currently have a special offer running right now on KONI Shocks. With purchase of the KONI FSD Shocks, we will buy back your stock worn and torn shocks (in any condition). With purchase of the KONI FSDs for your MK4 for $699.95 with free shipping, we buy back your old shocks for $150! Upon receiving your KONI FSD Shocks in the mail, there will be a UPS call-tag in the box for your old junk. Upon receipt of your old dampers, we mail you a check for $150 for your old, worn, torn (even leaking) stock shocks.

Feel free to PM us for more info on this offer.