1996 vw passat tdi

countryboy5960

TDI
1996 vw passat tdi
hi i own a 1996 vw passat tdi and its always going into limp mode and having a lack of power going up hills until going into limp mode car runs good and has plenty of power... was wondering if i could get some ideas on what to check that might be wrong or bad as i am sure more then just myself has come across this... thought of ordering a new turbo but not so sure that it would fix it since it works good until it kicks out going up hills :confused:thank you very much:)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
is there one most common problem where is would be best to start
My experience (and mine aren't all inclusive) is to view the guide to which Abacus linked in post #2, scroll down to item 2, and then 2G with the N75.
Your described symptoms are all too familiar and are signs of poor boost pressure / wastegate control. Check the red and blue hoses between the turbo and the N75 valve paying attention to the integrity of the hose ends. If you don't find an torn or holed hose, replace the N75 valve.
Don't bother trying to clean it, it will work for a few weeks at best, and it's cheap to replace.

And I just saved you $1400.00.
That's how much a dealer charged me for a bad turbo they diagnosed on my first Passat. And that didn't fix the problem. Cutting a bad inch off a hose and putting on a $0.05 worm clamp did.

Last edited:

MMAXX

TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
I had the problem a year or so ago. My 96 TDI would go into limp mode every time I had it in a hard pull up an incline requiring more boost for more than 10 or 12 seconds. I would have to depress the clutch, turn the switch off, then restart. This would reset the computer. Scans would not show a problem other than over boost. The problem was a dirty intake. After scraping the gunk out and allowing it to breath, it has not gone into limp mode since. Running strong @ 282,000.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
As the others have stated, I would look into the intake and see if it needs cleaning. Then replace the N75 and vacuum lines also. Do you have vagcom or able to get to somebody that can scan the car for you? Here is the Vag-Com locator if you don't have it.

Last edited:

97Jedi111

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
limp mode fix (Maybe, worked for me)

Are you getting a code? I had the same problem and I found it was the vacuum line going to the ecm was not hooked up at all. My code was charge pressure deviation...I think p1550. I have a jetta so Im not sure if the ecm is located in the same spot on your passat. Mine is on the passenger side underneath the panel near the passenger wiper blade. hope this helps