TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Upcoming TDIClub and Forum Updates (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=437526)

VW Derf April 2nd, 2015 07:10

Upcoming TDIClub and Forum Updates

Since the inception of TDIClub nearly 19 years ago, it has been a website supported by its members. This support has come in many different forms, from providing the content on the forums to helping out members in the real world with vehicle problems and supporting the website financially. Financially, contributions have come primarily from three different sources: purchasing of merchandise at the TDIClub store (http://www.tdiclub.com/store), fundraising at TDIFests, and simply contributing directly to TDIClub.

To strengthen TDIClub’s resiliency and ability to grow, infrastructure must often be updated. Many of these updates are perpetually happening behind the scenes. One aspect of these updates, however, will be much more obvious as it is a big change: replacing the forum software that many of you interact with on a daily basis. It has become antiquated and work is currently underway to replace it with a newer product that can better meet the needs of our large and thriving community. Among other technical changes, the new software will allow us to more clearly recognize TDIClub’s financial contributors, who help us keep the forums free of nuisance advertising. To recognize and thank individuals for their contribution to TDIClub, below is a list of recognition levels and benefits:

http://www.tdiclub.com/donations.PNG

Membership contribution levels are valid beginning the day of purchase, and expire 365 days after the date of purchase. Please note that everyone, regardless of contribution, will be able to use TDIClub Forums, just as they are today – there are only minor changes to private message and image upload quotas. We anticipate adding additional benefits as time progresses.
We plan to upgrade the forum software and implement club contribution recognition within the next two months. All contributions to TDIClub made beginning January 2015 will be applied once the new software is in place.

For more information about TDIFest 2015, please see the TDIFest 2015 announcement; you may always visit http://wiki.tdifest.com for the latest TDIFest information.

john.jackson9213 April 2nd, 2015 11:10

3100 mile drive from San Diego, but only 180 miles from Montreal. I will have no trouble getting Anita to come along on this road trip! May just leave her in Montreal for the Labor/Labour Day weekend! Also fits well with a trip to the Maritime Provinces we have been thinking about for a couple of years. Our last road trip to Montreal was just about 7000 miles and 19 days.
As for the change to a more "membership" type financed TDIClub, I have no issue with it. It should make for a more predictable and smoother income stream to fund club expenses.

VeeDubTDI April 2nd, 2015 14:01

Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking forward to seeing your sweet B4V!

Digital Corpus April 2nd, 2015 17:29

The current default PM count is 2000. When will the contributor teirs begin, thus knocking down the PM count?

Edit: And how an we directly contribute?

VW Derf April 2nd, 2015 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Corpus (Post 4774040)
The current default PM count is 2000. When will the contributor teirs begin, thus knocking down the PM count?

Edit: And how an we directly contribute?

Contribution tiers will begin once the new software is installed (still a fair bit of work to do on that) but any donations (Paypal via the main tdiclub page) that were made after January 1, 2015 will be manually applied once the new system is in place.

How exactly these limits will be applied to existing users has not been fully determined. I will try to limit any issues to existing users, but it might end up that the user cannot send new PMs until the messages in their inbox is lowered. Once we get closer to the updates I'll have a more definitive answer.

turbocharged798 April 3rd, 2015 03:44

Mixed feelings on this. Is is really donations if you have to donate to improve your experience on the forum? I think not. Then again, the bills have to be paid somehow, especially with all the issues going on with the TDIfests.

On top of this, now we know how much exactly each member donates which I think should be personal, not something everyone knows.
Edit: maybe I read this part wrong, is is public info what level you are on?

VeeDubTDI April 3rd, 2015 07:43

The term "donation" was not used in the announcement. This is a membership/subscription system that allows users to customize their forum experience. Users who do not subscribe will still have access to all of the forums and features, but with reduced storage limits. At the end of the day, we want TDIClub to remain open and ad-free for everyone, and this is the best way to accomplish that and ensure a steady stream of operating funds.

mishkaya April 3rd, 2015 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocharged798 (Post 4774296)
On top of this, now we know how much exactly each member donates which I think should be personal, not something everyone knows.

If this is set up like some of the other forums I have frequented, there will probably be an option to hide the conrtibution level. This said, some members like to advertize the level of their contributions...
I guess we will find out when the time comes.
I still would rather contribute financially than have to deal with constant ads...

VW Derf April 3rd, 2015 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocharged798 (Post 4774296)

I've done some informal polling on this before and many people have indicated they want to show their support of TDIClub so the current plan is to include that as part of the profile. There are still some technical things to work out but the suggestion of giving the user the option of suppressing their level is something can I think be accommodated. I know your questions is a little different as people will have a general idea of the contributions of others. At this point that is looked at as an an acknowledgement of your support of TDIClub. As we move forward, over time, there may be room for tweaks and improvements so I'm open to suggestions. We may need to move it to another thread or mean of communications (email/pm) though.

At the end of the day (as previously noted) the goal is to still enable people to freely join and fully participate in TDIClub and at the same time give a little something back to those that contribute funds to TDIClub and keep us from having to rely on ads to pay the bills.

meerschm April 5th, 2015 04:55

Happy to contribute, but the paypal interface seems to want only $cdn.

If you plan to peg support levels to US$, should I wait for the software update to contribute, make a daily currency exchange calculation, or something else?

j_martell April 5th, 2015 11:36

ive purchased a few items through the store here, and its always taken the funds in US$......

turbocharged798 April 5th, 2015 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW Derf (Post 4774463)
I've done some informal polling on this before and many people have indicated they want to show their support of TDIClub so the current plan is to include that as part of the profile. There are still some technical things to work out but the suggestion of giving the user the option of suppressing their level is something can I think be accommodated. I know your questions is a little different as people will have a general idea of the contributions of others. At this point that is looked at as an an acknowledgement of your support of TDIClub. As we move forward, over time, there may be room for tweaks and improvements so I'm open to suggestions. We may need to move it to another thread or mean of communications (email/pm) though.

At the end of the day (as previously noted) the goal is to still enable people to freely join and fully participate in TDIClub and at the same time give a little something back to those that contribute funds to TDIClub and keep us from having to rely on ads to pay the bills.

Well, I guess we'll see how it works. I always liked that TDIclub is run on donations only and the amount of money you give has no effect on the end product. But again, I realize bills need to be paid and the lack of TDIfest last year didn't help things.

Sorry if I came across harsh in my last post. Didn't mean for it to sound like that.

Any ideas when the changes are going to be implemented?

aslspiderman April 5th, 2015 18:22

Is paypal the only option to contribute/pay?

aslspiderman April 5th, 2015 18:46

mishkaya April 5th, 2015 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by aslspiderman (Post 4776069)

I know that the online store will take international money orders, so that will probably be an option. I am sure an admin will answer your question soon enough.