TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   oil light (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478981)

Skimax June 27th, 2017 13:06

oil light

After driving our new 2015 SEL for a month + the yellow oil light started flashing occasionally. I pulled over asap and checked the dipstick, plenty of oil. Also a message that oil needed to be changed appeared on the MFD at every start after the light started randomly flashing.

I called the dealership and they said it was OK to drive so I brought it in today at their request. They diagnosed the problem as too much oil, it was a bit above the hatched area on the dipstick. So they changed the oil and filter, reset the message and sent me on my way. The oil/filter had been changed at 120 miles when we bought it and the service writer said the tech had overfilled it. Strange thing was for the 1st 1000 miles the light/massage didn't appear. Oh well seemed fine on the way home.

VeeDubTDI June 28th, 2017 09:04

"Too much oil" seems to be pretty common on the 2015 engines. I suspect that the engine oil level increases gradually over time due to fuel dilution, which is why VW added the level sensor that reports both low and high oil levels.

tomo366 June 28th, 2017 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI (Post 5298228)
"Too much oil" seems to be pretty common on the 2015 engines. I suspect that the engine oil level increases gradually over time due to fuel dilution, which is why VW added the level sensor that reports both low and high oil levels.

I have never experienced this problem in 2 years....and I look at the stick often...only had to add oil 1 time between changes just had the 40 K done a couple weeks ago

Skimax June 28th, 2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI (Post 5298228)

As I recall he level when we got the car after driving it home was just above the hatch marks. Obviously fuel dilution isn't desirable and perhaps it caused the light to come on.

In 3 weeks I'll be driving it to Oshkosh for AirVenture across Ontario into the UP of Michigan and then down to Wisconsin. I hope no issues.

Thankfully we have the 11Y 162K warranty on it.

VeeDubTDI June 29th, 2017 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimax (Post 5298434)
As I recall he level when we got the car after driving it home was just above the hatch marks. Obviously fuel dilution isn't desirable and perhaps it caused the light to come on.

In 3 weeks I'll be driving it to Oshkosh for AirVenture across Ontario into the UP of Michigan and then down to Wisconsin. I hope no issues.

Thankfully we have the 11Y 162K warranty on it.

I think having the oil filled to the very top of the hash marks leaves very little wiggle room for fuel dilution. Best practice would be to make sure it's only half way up the hash marks after an oil change, allowing for a few ounces of fuel dilution before tripping the "too full" warning.

rustycat June 29th, 2017 10:45

After the comments on this thread I did some Googling on diesel in engine oil with the EA288. Found not much, but, it did seem to me that there was some evidence that Biofuel/ or higher percentage of biofuel might have a higher propensity to dilute engine oil.

VeeDubTDI June 30th, 2017 08:41

Biofuel will definitely increase the rate of fuel dilution, even in small percentages (B10, for example).

Skimax June 30th, 2017 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI (Post 5299176)
Biofuel will definitely increase the rate of fuel dilution, even in small percentages (B10, for example).

Where we buy our fuel nothing is posted about it being bio-diesel.

tadawson June 30th, 2017 18:02

The issue is that bio vaproizes at a higher temp, not that more gets into the oil. Normal diesel will vaporize at operating temps, and gets pulled out via the vapor recovery system . . . bio takes more heat and time, although it will come out if your driving habits are long runs at temp. Stop and go definitely can aggravate the problem with bio . . .

Skimax July 1st, 2017 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadawson (Post 5299407)
The issue is that bio vaproizes at a higher temp, not that more gets into the oil. Normal diesel will vaporize at operating temps, and gets pulled out via the vapor recovery system . . . bio takes more heat and time, although it will come out if your driving habits are long runs at temp. Stop and go definitely can aggravate the problem with bio . . .

interesting, thanks for the info. We use our eGolf for all local short trips. The diesel gets used on trips longer then 80 miles.

tadawson July 1st, 2017 09:52

Yeah . . . a lot of folks report oil dilution on the Cummins 6.7l turbodiesels as well (same basic emission strategy with post-injection to fire the DPF) . . . . either I am particularly lucky, have a really 'tight' engine, or can verify the above. I do mostly open road, and on long cross country trips, running whatever flavor of diesel/bio is on the route, and oil analysis shows undetectable dilution at change . . . the one time I did a lot of local driving, I did see a bit . . . ironically with a lower bio percentage . . . This is one of the things that the CCV system on a diesel handles that is often overlooked . . .

Rico567 July 1st, 2017 10:17

Our gas stations here in Central IL have clear signs on the pumps: "Contains 5-20% Biodiesel." We will have owned our Passat TDI 4 years next week, and the oil level has been rock steady that whole time, and I check it regularly. Is it because I get a minimal amount? Do I have one of those "tight" engines? I dunno, i just fuel up at the same station (Thornton's) most of the time.

rustycat July 1st, 2017 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico567 (Post 5299608)
Our gas stations here in Central IL have clear signs on the pumps: "Contains 5-20% Biodiesel." We will have owned our Passat TDI 4 years next week, and the oil level has been rock steady that whole time, and I check it regularly. Is it because I get a minimal amount? Do I have one of those "tight" engines? I dunno, i just fuel up at the same station (Thornton's) most of the time.

Yup, our 13 was rock steady on the oil level as well, guess we'll see if the EA288 behaves differently. Again, I couldn't find anything really pointing to an oil dillution characteristic associated with the EA288 while Googling.

mejpassat July 1st, 2017 17:48

Hmmm....my 2001 tdi (190K and my 2014 tdi (45K) never had issues with rising oil levels.
Is this an old wives tale or something?

tadawson July 1st, 2017 21:39

It can happen, but more typically with short hop/not up to temp much driving habits. The late injection for the DPF is not burned inthe cylinder, and some can get past the rings. It's not unique to the TDI either . . . and, as noted, I've not had a problem with it in any of my diesels to date either.