Passat B5.5 camshaft kit in Canada

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
With the USD so far apart from the CDN, I'm trying to buy/source a quality camshaft kit for my '05 Passat (BHW) engine for under $580 USD (on IDparts). Any recommendation is appreciated

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Update the thread on how you make out. Mine is fine for the moment, but I would like to have one on the shelf for when it does finally tank.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Will do. The #1 exhaust lobe is worn down by about 4mm. :) The rest of the exhaust lobes show slight wear. The car ran fine unitl the follower/hydraulic lifter top wore through and the exhaust cam stopped oppening. I limped home by meeping the rpms as low as between shifts and going 100km/h on the highway (figured the constant speed on the highway would cause the least amount of additional wear). It worked for me BUT when I took it apart, the check valve in the failed follower was close to popping out. So I don't recomend to drive it if you start running on 3 cylinders. I took a gamble and got lucky. Next time (if the '06 Jetta develops this), it will be towed home. If the follower top didn't wear through, I would have not known the lobe was that worn. The engine ran fine.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New camshaft kit is in the engine. Fired it up last night. Went with the AMC kit. Thanks QuickTD and Windex for your help. With some luck the front end will be bolted back up tomorrow evening, change the oil and then shakedown test drive to work on Friday......aftrr that heading to Montreal for the F1. I'll post pictures a little later.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Where did you buy the AMC kit? How much all in?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where did you buy the AMC kit? How much all in?
I've got it through a buddy that had access to a wholesale account. He is not in the bussiness of doing this often therefore, I rather not disclose anything further than it was cheaper than buying the same kit through IDparts (including shipping and other costs).

Buttoned up the front end last night and went for a 20 minute shakedown test around the house. All looked well so took it to work today (160km round trip) as a bigger shakedown test. If all is well, tonight heading to Montreal for the F1. :)

As a note: The engine is noticably quiete (even before the taletail bad cam noise started), a lot smoother at idle and during driving and has more power off the line (don't have to work the clutch as much). Knowing what I know now, there were signs of the cam slowly wearing off I just didn't know and thought it was either the motor mounts and/or the clutch acting up. The #1 cylinder was slowly making less and less power as the exhaust lobe was wearing off to a stub.

I've also put a new timing belt on it since it was 20K km away from it's interval.

Last edited: