Teach me 2015 tdi golf

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
My girlfriend is looking for another vehicle, and I'm debating if a 2015 tdi golf makes sense.

Finding a new 2015 would be great, but that's going to be tough. Staying in the 5,000-20,000 mile range would be fine. She doesn't really care what options it has, and it would need to be automatic.

How reliable are the 2015s? What real world mileage are people now seeing? If she were to purchase used, what would the warranty look like? These seem to be priced in the $16,500-$20,000 range with 5,000-20,000 miles. Is that fair?

I've tried doing my own research here, but there seems to be tons of different opinions on warranty, etc. all a bit confusing due to the dieselgate stuff...

NorthVan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDi: 2014 Touareg TDi
I bought a 2015 GSW TDI in May for my wife, and just added a 2015 Golf TDI last week. Great cars IMO, I am getting around 40-50 mpg, and my drives involve a lot of hills.

Neither car has had any issues, but it is pretty early in the ownership.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd only buy one if you constantly put on 15-20K miles a year.

Worse thing is someone buying one and driving 5K a year, and expecting to get 50MPG when they drive 2 miles to the store.

Last edited:

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I'd only buy one if you constantly put on 15-20K miles a year.

Worse thing is someone buying one and driving 5K a year, and expecting to get 50MPG when the drive 2 miles to the store.

Her car is two years old and has 70+k miles.

A tdi makes sense.

She's stuck on a sportwagon only at this point, and they carry a pretty high premium. She test drove one yesterday, and loved it. 2015, 30+k miles for $24,000. I found two untitled 2015 for less than that, granted not as many options but none of those matter to her.

The long term reliability of the newer stuff is the big question mark

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pull the trigger on the NOS ones, as you'll have that 11 yr - 167K warranty for 80% of the big ticket items, and you'll be able to break in the seat.

With that many miles a year diesel is perfect, the range alone is gold for those kind of miles and hours saved at the pumps.

Sounds like the used ones have some negotiating room in those prices.

Only major ticket items the warranty doesn't cover is transmission, but they've been pretty reliable as of late.

LKN

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Pull the trigger on the NOS ones, as you'll have that 11 yr - 167K warranty for 80% of the big ticket items, and you'll be able to break in the seat.

With that many miles a year diesel is perfect, the range alone is gold for those kind of miles and hours saved at the pumps.

Sounds like the used ones have some negotiating room in those prices.

Only major ticket items the warranty doesn't cover is transmission, but they've been pretty reliable as of late.

The one we test drove, they wouldn't come off the price. Very laid back dealer though, and the sales guy was awesome and knew his stuff.

At this point, finding a new one makes sense as the pricing is sometimes cheaper than one with 20+k miles...

Once these start to flood the market, prices should level out a bit.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Prices on the new 2015s are basically set in stone. The best offer I got was an additional $500 off the reduced sticker price. A new 15 GSW is going to be hard to find unless you're willing to travel. Last time I searched cars.com Tennessee or Atlanta were the closest.

We've owned both the Golf and JSW. Our opinions are on both sides of the argument. My wife really loved her Golf and I love the JSW. At buyback time, it made more sense to get rid of the Golf and pocket over $20K. The seats were firmer with heavier bolsters. The Golf also screamed, "Let's have some fun!" The suspension was a little stiffer and sportier than the wagen. I offered to swap out the front seats before turn in but she never said yes. If you need some hauling room, the wagen is really the best option.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I bought a 2015 GSW TDI in May for my wife, and just added a 2015 Golf TDI last week. Great cars IMO, I am getting around 40-50 mpg, and my drives involve a lot of hills.

Neither car has had any issues, but it is pretty early in the ownership.
Dude - where are you finding these cars? While our stable of vehicles is the same as yours (my 2015 GSW, wife's Golf - both TDI, of course), I have a couple friends looking for similar vehicles and can't find anything out there.
(Well, unless you count the GSW at Clarkdale with 62K km on it, asking $32K??!!)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
... snip....
Worse thing is someone buying one and driving 5K a year, and expecting to get 50MPG when they drive 2 miles to the store.
Matter of opinion ?!?!? me thinks:p

Getting as much as 48-ish going to Doctors -- on the cheat-o-meter

Getting 55-ish going to see Mom -- on the cheat-o-meter

MAX (on the cheat-o-meter) = 61.1 MPG ~~ and 58.5 MPG on the leg back home.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Dude - where are you finding these cars? While our stable of vehicles is the same as yours (my 2015 GSW, wife's Golf - both TDI, of course), I have a couple friends looking for similar vehicles and can't find anything out there.]??!!)
Try CARS.COM with an unlimited mile range

Silent_Bob

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2011 Golf TDI (prior)
Yeah to get good deal on these you may have to travel a bit. I picked up 2015 with 36K for $15K. Plus looks like I'll probably get the full 6K from VW.

NorthVan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDi: 2014 Touareg TDi
Dude - where are you finding these cars? While our stable of vehicles is the same as yours (my 2015 GSW, wife's Golf - both TDI, of course), I have a couple friends looking for similar vehicles and can't find anything out there.
(Well, unless you count the GSW at Clarkdale with 62K km on it, asking $32K??!!)
I bought my Golf from the dealer in Kelowna, flew up and drove it back. The GSW we bought in May, it was a new one that was in quarantine, picked that up in Chilliwack.

I keep looking at AutoTRADER and jump on them as soon as they show up. I was told that Capilano is getting a bunch in shortly. Call them and see what they have coming in.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Yeah to get good deal on these you may have to travel a bit. I picked up 2015 with 36K for $15K. Plus looks like I'll probably get the full 6K from VW.
Say what now? "full 6k" means it has not been "fixed". AT ALL.
If true, you can just do a buyback for that and pocket $23k +/- (S trim)
If phase I fix has been done, you'll get 1/3 restitution payment when phase II is completed.
Big difference.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Finding a new 2015 would be great, but that's going to be tough. Staying in the 5,000-20,000 mile range would be fine. She doesn't really care what options it has, and it would need to be automatic.
These seem to be priced in the $16,500-$20,000 range with 5,000-20,000 miles. Is that fair?
Last month I got a 2015 GSW S with 14,000 miles for $18,300. It's a fair price and you should get them while they last since they aren't making any more right now.

Silent_Bob

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2011 Golf TDI (prior)
Say what now? "full 6k" means it has not been "fixed". AT ALL.
If true, you can just do a buyback for that and pocket $23k +/- (S trim)
If phase I fix has been done, you'll get 1/3 restitution payment when phase II is completed.
Big difference.

Yeah that's what I thought too but the online portal said it was eligible for the full amount. Guess I'll find out once I register it and get the title. Not interested in selling it as I wanted another TDI since I sold my 2011 back.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last month I got a 2015 GSW S with 14,000 miles for $18,300. It's a fair price and you should get them while they last since they aren't making any more right now.
While its a great price for a TDI it's still about par of the deals that can be had on a '17 GSW S, TSI FWD.

That was the biggest thing we had to decide when we were looking at the Passat, does the new '17 have anything we'd need to have over the MPG and driving characteristics of a '15 diesel. The wife wanted the MPG and didn't care about the carplay or any driver aids that were offered in the newer passats.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Yeah that's what I thought too but the online portal said it was eligible for the full amount. Guess I'll find out once I register it and get the title. Not interested in selling it as I wanted another TDI since I sold my 2011 back.
You still can weigh the value of doing the buyback on that car, taking the profit and finding another 2015 TDI, with phase I performed. Not sure if the few thousand profit will cover the hassle/expenses of buying/selling, but worth running the numbers on...

Last edited:

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
Paid $21000 out the door for a 2015 GSW manual with 13,700 miles. Just the base trim level, but equipped well enough for me. Drove our 2004 Jetta TDI wagon to Atlanta from North Carolina to buy the car. 53 mpg on my first tank. Driving to WI for a wedding in September and hope to do better. Love the car.