Car won't start, will turn over but not start. Help please!

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI
This sucks,

So I made the trip back to Indiana safely. No problems really.

I go to start my car just now, temp on display says 92F. Car starts and dies immediately. I cycle the ignition a few times (in case some priming was needed). The engine turns over perfectly fine. But it won't start!

Now keep in mind my red led dash display fades with heat. On the last turn a coolant light came on and said something like "top of motor", well that's all I could make out anyway. I just ordered a vagcom off eBay. It should be here before Sept 4th. No check engine light has come on.

Help me!

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh did I mention my car was towed yesterday? My landlord had made a mistake. There was no noticeable damage and it was dollied. Car drove perfectly fine afterwards and started fine.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Umar, I am assuming it cranks ok. It could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter or bad in tank fuel pump. Pull the fuel line from the tank, have someone crank it and see if fuel comes out. It is only 5psi but it should flow. It could be electrically related, such as no power to the fuel pump or ecm for example. It could be a blown fuse. Check all fuses. A locked turbo could cause a no start as well. Disconnect the intake tube and if it starts up that is probably the cause.
If it doesn't crank well, it may be a bad starter or battery.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
what do you mean by warning? when you turn key on do you have a mil light (cel)?

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
haha, I have no idea. It was REALLY hot yesterday (but that hasn't stopped it starting before). I'm thinking it could be the immobilizer in the key, strange enough, considering it decided to start this morning.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
Does the glow plug illuminate when turning the key to the "on" position when it does not fire up? If it does not - replace relay 219. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245377
80a fuse is for the glow plugs
15A fuse is for the injectors
10A fuse is for the heated oxygen sensor
219 is the power relay for the ECM, and also supplies power to the fuel pump relay.

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I remember browsing the forums and seeing this. My glow plug lights were coming on as usual which leads me to believe relay 219 is not the problem. Thank you though Bob.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
No problem - It can present as an intermittent problem until it leaves you stranded. I did also have an issue with my tandem pump that caused a similar problem... Quite frankly, I think it was more 219 related though as it controls the fuel pump and the glow plugs and I think they are on separate contacts within the relay. The glow plug light is just a tell-tale sign. It is a cheap replacement to rule it out and cheaper than a tow.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
The new 219 relay is upgraded for better reliability. It's worth changing it out pro-actively.
My updated one lasted as long as the original... I am onto the third at 194,000 miles. Actually, the original lasted more miles than the "updated" one... :rolleyes:

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure, but problem is back as of today. It did rain last night (drove to Chicago and back with no real problems) but low 70s today.

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly.

Can I change out the 219 relay myself?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
its pretty easy, its in the same housing as the ecu under the hood at the firewall. A little fiddly getting the cover off the box.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the rely has duel contacts, one set starts the glow plug sequence, the other fuel pump operation.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only way to rule out the relay may be to access it, and would suggest replacing.. At that time examine the contacts. make sure to use an oem vw one, no Chinalays.

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
So the problem is back again. I had replaced the relay with a brand new OEM VW one. It seemed to have fixed it and worked until tonight.

Thoughts?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no codes to help? I'm guessing its a fuel problem of sorts as the relay had resolved it for awhile with the lift pump. Can you hear the lift pump when you turn the key on? Do you have good pressure at outlet side of fuel filter? I believe the lift pump is fused but not certain.

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll have to check, the thing is, if the fuse blew it shouldn't have worked intermittently over the past few weeks. All of these problems started after I did the stanadyne fuel filter upgrade (but it could be unrelated).

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you didn't mention the filter before, however you might check that you do have pressure between filter and tandem pump. perhaps a small air leak occurred when you installed filter. I'd just put original filter with the same thermostatic "T" as originally installed, and see what happens. since you are in a cold weather zone, its an advantage to have the original filter system

rolotomassi44

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed a leak around the fuel filter recently.

http://imgur.com/RpXOl (excuse the picture quality, it was taken during nighttime)

You can see the hose within the black circle - diesel fuel has been leaking onto it, the degradation has already started.

I'll have to take a further look as I have no idea where this leak is coming from. Would you think air is getting into the system and causing the fuel to stop flowing?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you might consider buying a new oem filter and whatever hoses are damaged. until the fuel system is leak free its probably not going to work.