Incredible A6 TDI gas mileage

Jonarchen

TDI
A6 TDI
Just drove my 2014 A6 TDI from San Diego to Orange Co at freeway speeds, did over 100 miles and hit 50 MPG! I regularly get over 46 MPG on this trip; much better than the published 38 MPG HWY from Audi. Is anyone else seeing these levels and why is Audi being so conservative here?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Trip averages are not very accurate when compared to whole tank averages over time. Join fuelly and start reporting your tank averages there. More people put faith in those who report full tank mileages and especially if they report to fuelly or similar. A single short trip really has no merit. Audi doesn't use short trips to come up with its fuel economy numbers.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
That engine is much larger than mine and look at my average in my signature. Your car is much faster though and sill gets 40avg realistically. The computers can be a little generous at times.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Keep meticulous track of fuel used and distance driven over 1 year and then come back telling us your incredible Mpg.
The MFD in your dash lies like a rug.

Jonarchen

TDI
A6 TDI
You totally missed my point. I am comparing a freeway journey mpg to the published freeway mpg. I regularly get over 700 miles to a tank. Also, I have records of fuel consumption since I purchased the car over 2 years and 26k miles ago and have averaged 36.4 MPG combined highway/city; again far above the Audi published number.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
On the freeway you can hit 70+ for a stretch, just need to find a draft buddy. Those numbers are not published by Audi, but the EPA, and I suspect the EPA testing procedure is 100% bull****. Audi has no choice but to say 38 MPG.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Yeah, it isn't hard to beat the EPA numbers at all. They test "highway" at something ridiculous like 50 or 55mph anyway with the windows up, a/c OFF, and cruise control on. Completely unrealistic. But it is also very well known that diesels take a lot longer to break in and having the mileage increase up to around 50k miles is not unheard of before it settles in. You also could have gotten a particularly healthy tank of diesel, there are definitely variations in quality and that directly affects the mileage.

Further: You have to be consistent in filling it up, you can NOT trust the auto-shut-off in the handle, that will allow massive differences tank-to-tank because of variations in foam affecting the handle. You need to fill it up until there is wet fuel sitting in the top of the filler, drive a bunch, then fill to the same point and calculate what you just put in. If you can't see wet fuel sitting there and not draining down... Then the numbers aren't accurate.

Diesel doesn't expand, so you can fill it all the way up (used to be called venting) and know that the tank is completely full.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Based on performance in my 2012
Extended Fuel economy can top 61 mpg (hyper)
Peak fuel economy over a moderate trip can peak above 65mpg (hyper)

Highway fuel economy can easily reach above 50mpg

Heavy duty towing can run above 43 mpg
(5x10 enclosed Uhaul trailer 1000miles, fully loaded on return trip, included mountain crossings, could still easily pass people on the uphill in 4th @3,300 rpm)

Worst mileage I've ever seen was mid/high 30's (ice and snow)

Last edited: