New tune on the way.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
So I got an email the other day from Kerma talking about their new tune for the 2015-16 2.0 and initially discarded it. My son has bugged me to get the car tuned since I brought it home (he also begged me to get the 13 that went back tuned). I always resisted due to most tuners offering about 17 horsepower over stock which didn’t seem worth the money to me.

So we’re headed to the theater today to see Super Troopers 2 when we I start complaining about my Passat being such a dog around town (no complaints on the highway) and he says “get a tune”. I laugh and say it’s not worth it, but tell him Kerma has something new but I didn’t really look into it. He grabs my phone, opens the trash folder of my email, and proceeds to read to me that their new tune is a 50hp and 100ft pound of torque increase, while retaining all factory emissions equipment. Here is the copy/paste from the emai.....

Our New Stage 1 Tune! for Mk7, B8 and Audi A3 TDI 2015/16
(Golf, Sportwagen, Beetle, Jetta, Passat, Audi A3)
This Stage 1 Tune is one of the most refined and powerful tunes we have ever designed.

Stage 1 version is approx +50whp and + 100 lb-ft on the dyno (between 35-40% gain in both HP and torque!)
The Stage 1 tune is the ONLY change made to the car on this dyno. Everything else about the engine is completely stock, including the turbo, emissions equipment, and EVERYTHING. Only a tune.

This is a 4th gear pull from 1200 rpm.

Daily driveability is perfect, but there is seat-planting torque on demand.

Key Features:

- Quicker Turbo Response (turbo lag is significantly reduced)

- Consistent power band (no jumps, spikes or reduced power on hard throttle)

- Power is extremely noticeable (feels like you have a new car)

- MPGs can increase up to 10% (tested on long distance driving)

- very easy to drive but the power is there if you need it

- EGT levels are consistent

- soot levels are clean

- regens exactly like stock

- passive regens perform correctly

- Tuning and support is all done in-house

- We do not charge for an upgraded stage tune (upgrades are free as long as you get the parts from us)

- Dyno Proven (Stock Dyno Pull and Tuned Dyno for a correct reading of +WHP and +WTQ)

- all emission systems are kept intact. There is no need to DELETE the emissions system in our opinion, exhaust flow is not an issue with the DPF intact (Europe has TDIs with 240hp and stock DPF for example) The removal of the DPF and install is super expensive (typically +10hr bill time on a Mk7 from a shop plus the expensive parts), we suggest saving your money and spend it on something that helps your build i.e. suspension, brakes, upgraded turbo, etc. We also have replacement DPFs in stock if needed.

During the movie previews, I email them and asked a few questions, which were quickly answered, and, well, I’m sold. Bought it tonight. If anyone is interested, I’ll update this with what I think once it’s installed.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but it looks to me like this is a brand new tune they just released, however I have not followed the tuning scene and could easily hear from all of you that this is old news, in which case this thread can just sink away and die.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Had a Kerma tune on my JSW and loved it, they did a great job with it. Keep us posted with the tune, interested in getting my MK7 tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
from what i've read about kerma's tune is they recently changed their file so that it regens the DPF on soot loading % rather than the more conservative time or miles, thus you may be able to go more miles between regens. They've had this modified tune for something like 3-5 months, the marketing department maybe taking some liberties with the term "new". I would be interested in the their new Q-loader that supposedly is able to tune the DSG, but not sure if that's shipping yet.

I have malone stg 2 (low torque) and did 600 miles over two days commuting for work 95% highway, I noticed two regens monitoring via torque, they were about 250-300 miles appart, so i triggered the miles prob more than the loading %.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
What's the scoop with warranty coverage if you have a tuned vehicle? I would think VW would tell you to pound sand. If you flash-loaded your factory tune before bringing it in, would the ECU show that a tune was previously installed?

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I'm hesitant about posting the following link, which is highly critical of Kerma. I have no idea if the comments are authentic, or the product of a competitor's campaign to smear. Nevertheless, I feel in the spirit of community I'll post and let people decide on their own.

moderator note: I removed the link to an external complaints website, as the claims are old and unverified and posting the link here will not produce productive conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What's the scoop with warranty coverage if you have a tuned vehicle? I would think VW would tell you to pound sand. If you flash-loaded your factory tune before bringing it in, would the ECU show that a tune was previously installed?
There are ways of knowing...

While your ECU may not necessarily scream "Hey, I am tuned by APR (or whoever)" most tunes do not account for the flash counter that is built into the ECM.

IF there is a warranty claim and the mothership computer knows they have flashed your ECU 3 times (ie original flash, Fix 1, and Fix 2) but your ECM shows 5 flashes, it will flag your TD1.

Once that is done, any power train warranty repairs can be declined.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
As much as I’d like a tune, I’m not risking my 162K mile warranty :-(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As much as I’d like a tune, I’m not risking my 162K mile warranty :-(
I understand this, but if I were concerned about this a middle ground would be to get the tune after the Phase II fix. Seems the likelihood of an emissions failure after hardware is refreshed is slim, especially with a tune.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I'm in for updates. just picked up a 2015 Passat TDI To replace my tuned 06 Jetta......50hp and 100lb/ft? I'll be watching...:D

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Everything to do it is at the house, except me. Got home from a work trip Friday, hooked up to the camper, and went camping. I’ll load it in tomorrow and drive it to work Monday.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you need to exchange files with kerma, so there may be some lag via email.

Let us know how you enjoy the new torques.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed it last night and drove it this morning. The biggest difference I see as of this moment is the huge MPG increase. I drive the exact route every day and my PB is 51 if I baby it. Same route today showed 58.5 driving normally. I would guess the reason lies partly in the EGTs. Pre turbo runs hotter obviously, but it seems like CAT and SCR run lower so maybe the strategy changes the need to keep those cooking, or maybe I’m full of crap. Power wise, I honestly think I was expecting more. I’ve had plenty of tuned diesels and was expecting a night and day difference but that didn’t happen. Pulls nice and smooth and you can definitely feel the increase, but it just doesn’t feel like 50/100 to me. Again, I may be full of crap and this is based on one drive early in the morning while half asleep.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I noticed two regens monitoring via torque, they were about 250-300 miles appart,

Is there a way that I can monitor for them using any of the data on my P3 gauge? I've searched and can't find a clear answer.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Something seems fishy. Drove home the same route that I’ve driven 1000 times and I typically struggle to average 45mpg. Today I was in the low 60s. Either these cars are terribly restricted from the fatherland or something is lying to something else. I also take back most of my disappointment in regards to power. It seems to have quite a bit when you really ask for it. Saw 28psi of boost and 1600 EGT Which was a little freaky.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The MFI may take some time to calibrate. Fill and calculation my give you better data.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Power wise, I honestly think I was expecting more. I’ve had plenty of tuned diesels and was expecting a night and day difference but that didn’t happen. Pulls nice and smooth and you can definitely feel the increase, but it just doesn’t feel like 50/100 to me.
Oh, that would certainly concern me. I went down that route with my '06 BRM after a PD140, 3bar map, and several different tunes. None of which outperformed my stock turbo and Stg 2 Malone (VR6 clutch).....

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
The MFI may take some time to calibrate. Fill and calculation my give you better data.
Spoke to them and was told it’s a known bug, which sucks because I watch the MPG gauge daily and find it much more entertaining than the boring road.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
MFI is something in the software and can be adjusted, both in the tune and by up to 15% with vcds.

If you've got a handheld you could always dyno it before/after, best to log boost egt and injection quantity/rail pressure, if it cuts power ~8-10 seconds in that's probably egts. Usually see 132-135/230-235 stock and around 170/300 tuned on the ea189 and 288, we have two dynapacks so have had a few walk ins too with other files. Stock turbo/exhaust can only do so much.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
MFI is something in the software and can be adjusted, both in the tune and by up to 15% with vcds.

If you've got a handheld you could always dyno it before/after, best to log boost egt and injection quantity/rail pressure, if it cuts power ~8-10 seconds in that's probably egts. Usually see 132-135/230-235 stock and around 170/300 tuned on the ea189 and 288, we have two dynapacks so have had a few walk ins too with other files. Stock turbo/exhaust can only do so much.
Not sure where the limits are set, but I saw 1600 EGT and 28.5 boost although my boost at idle is uncorrected and shows about -.8 so around 28 is a safe guess. I honestly think I expected too much out of a 2 liter engine and got too used to tunes on 6.0 and 7.3 liter fords. The drivability is so much better now that overall, I’m pretty happy. Would love to see the MPG calculations fixed though.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
VW definitely left a lot on the table while making some attempt to keep emissions down. EGT limit should be about 1600 (930C), that's the max you can set in the ECU unless the values are offset or the EGT probe is relocated. Power should reduce when you hit those EGT figures, so that would make it feel slower. Boost sounds a little high, best to data log it with VCDS. You can put your ECU part # into our log viewer to see logs from comparable cars as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Spoke to them and was told it’s a known bug, which sucks because I watch the MPG gauge daily and find it much more entertaining than the boring road.
What's the known bug? My MFI was unaffected by the tune. Equally optimistic before and after. I adjusted it with VCDS and now it reads about 1 MPG low.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
No clue what the known bug is other than I was told they know about it and are working on it.

ArtK65

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI 6M
I have the same tune. The MFI is way optimistic with the MPG's. I have it adjusted the full 15% using OBD11, and it's still about 4mpg's off. Other than that, it's a great tune.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the same tune. The MFI is way optimistic with the MPG's. I have it adjusted the full 15% using OBD11, and it's still about 4mpg's off. Other than that, it's a great tune.
I could deal with 4 off. I might have to dig into VCDS and figure out where to adjust it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is there a way that I can monitor for them using any of the data on my P3 gauge? I've searched and can't find a clear answer.

you gotta monitor one of the 3 EGT probs, the one that doesn't change dramatically with throttle input, the one that is laggy is the one that i think is post DPF and will peg around 1100 during regen even though the others will vary slightly with throttle input.

What EGTs can the P3 gauge read?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

You can still monitor the MFI just know there's some math you'll need to do. 65mpg is the new 50mpg. I was all excited after doing long highway runs and saw 50-52 on the MFI, but hand calculated just over 46.

Where I notice the best use of the tune is when the DSG is in manual mode. In either S or D, the car still wants to down shift and then runs out of wind trying to shift from at 5K down to 4K. Once in manual mode, I try and shift at 4K and keep it above 3K and notice the best "pulling" feel without wheezing it out. Typically I don't do WOT pulls, I'm more looking for a quick scoot and pull either passing someone, or just goose it around a corner.

Biggest thing that's against the 2015's as far as performance is the gearing of the DSG, it's crazy tall and pretty wide in the first 3 gears, so that explains why it wants to grab new gears.

One thing I've yet to try is changing the throttle response to "direct" (same mod on Mk7 Alltrack did wonders) I'm not sure if this is an option for the 2015 Passat as it's a hybrid of mk5 and mk7 stuff.

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
You can still monitor the MFI just know there's some math you'll need to do. 65mpg is the new 50mpg.
Where I notice the best use of the tune is when the DSG is in manual mode. In either S or D, the car still wants to down shift and then runs out of wind trying to shift from at 5K down to 4K. Once in manual mode, I try and shift at 4K and keep it above 3K and notice the best "pulling" feel without wheezing it out. Typically I don't do WOT pulls, I'm more looking for a quick scoot and pull either passing someone, or just goose it around a corner.
Biggest thing that's against the 2015's as far as performance is the gearing of the DSG, it's crazy tall and pretty wide in the first 3 gears, so that explains why it wants to grab new gears.
One thing I've yet to try is changing the throttle response to "direct" (same mod on Mk7 Alltrack did wonders) I'm not sure if this is an option for the 2015 Passat as it's a hybrid of mk5 and mk7 stuff.
Good post and I think I agree nearly 100%. My disappointments on the first drive were the lack of pull down low. Really seems to come to life around 2500. And is much more enjoyable in manual mode. It’s too bad the 1-2 shift in manual is so terrible. I usually leave it in aut until 3rd and then switch to manual. I have the paddle shifters so it makes it even nicer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Odd, my Malone will pull pretty darn hard at 1,800 if I hold it manual mode, that is peak torque. Again I have to be in manual mode to avoid a downshift.

I did have to get a modified stg2 tune as I had DMF shudder with the stock stg 2 tune, I notice maybe a little less pull at 1800-2100 but not enough to cry foul.

Maybe Kerma is being conservative under 2,500rpm to avoid the DMF shudder all together. But why have a diesel if you can't have great pull from down low?

jealous of the paddle shiffters, I enjoy them on our Alltrack but know the wife would never use them in her Passat to make it worth the money to install them.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Odd, my Malone will pull pretty darn hard at 1,800 if I hold it manual mode, that is peak torque. Again I have to be in manual mode to avoid a downshift.

I did have to get a modified stg2 tune as I had DMF shudder with the stock stg 2 tune, I notice maybe a little less pull at 1800-2100 but not enough to cry foul.

Maybe Kerma is being conservative under 2,500rpm to avoid the DMF shudder all together. But why have a diesel if you can't have great pull from down low?

jealous of the paddle shiffters, I enjoy them on our Alltrack but know the wife would never use them in her Passat to make it worth the money to install them.
I guess where it really “pulls” from is quite subjective. I would agree it pulls decent at 1800 but feels like it really kicks at 2500 and above. Remember though, I’ve only driven it twice so far.