Different oil types?

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
is the oil castrol at Autozone/walmart any different then what the dealer sells? On my last TDI (BRM PD) I always had to buy oil at the dealer because i could not find the right oil anywhere else. It need 5w40 (505.01) because of it being a PD motor, most stores carry the 5w30. So I would like to avoid the mark up on the oil and be able to catch it one sale. The auto parts store all carry the black bottle castrol 5w30/castrol 5w30 high mileage, the dealer one is the castrol edge titanium 5w30.

5w30
https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...rol-edge-engine-oil-sae-5w-30-1-qt/186721_0_0

any reason I can't run a 5w40 in this car? its the EA288, A) I have left over from my PD motor B) its summer time and its a lot hotter here then in most of the US + the AC is on full blast non stop. Thicker oil would be better for that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The oil you link to doesn't have any VW certifications, and specifically says it's a "gasoline engine oil" in the description. So I think that's a no-go.

Part of the 507.00 spec for the EA288 cars is a fuel economy standard. You can run 5w40, as long as it's ultra low ash so it doesn't damage the DPF and CAT. That's what's important. The 5w40 that you were using in your PD isn't good for your '15's emissions systems.

Oils like Pentosin HPII will work in your car. Look for certifications (not necessarily VW) that are linked to DPF equipped cars, like Mercedes 229.51 or BMW's Longlife-04. I suppose you could run Rotella T6, as it meets low ash standards for Ram Ecodiesels.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
The oil you link to doesn't have any VW certifications, and specifically says it's a "gasoline engine oil" in the description. So I think that's a no-go.

Part of the 507.00 spec for the EA288 cars is a fuel economy standard. You can run 5w40, as long as it's ultra low ash so it doesn't damage the DPF and CAT. That's what's important. The 5w40 that you were using in your PD isn't good for your '15's emissions systems.

Oils like Pentosin HPII will work in your car. Look for certifications (not necessarily VW) that are linked to DPF equipped cars, like Mercedes 229.51 or BMW's Longlife-04. I suppose you could run Rotella T6, as it meets low ash standards for Ram Ecodiesels.
I didnt see the 507.00 spec on it either, so i passed on it and bought it from the dealer. I hate paying the mark up on it but i cant find it anywhere else that has that 507 spec.

1/2 - 2/3 qt of the 5w40 cant hurt the DPF can it? I have about that much that was the top off from the old car I would like to get rid of.:rolleyes:

507.00 & 229.51 are just low ash specs? thought those were more for specs for the internal motor part to avoid any issues like with the high cam bearing loading on the PDs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Those specs have many criteria, I was just pointing them out because they're also low ash oils. Common rail cars aren't subject to cam wear like the PDs. Some dealers have good prices on Castrol.

The 5w40 probably wouldn't do any harm, but why would you risk it for $2-3 worth of oil? I'd just throw it out.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I hate paying the mark up on it but i cant find it anywhere else that has that 507 spec.
Why not just buy it online? There are numerous sources and it will be delivered to your door instead of chasing around or to your dealer and you won't be paying any markup.