Oil Dipstick on 2006 BRM.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This car has to have the worst dipstick. The top ball always seems to come out with oil on it. Then one side on the middle section has oil on it and the other side will not. This makes it very difficult to tell if it is overfilled or not. What in the world is going on. I thought that I would miss not having a dipstick in my N54 but not after buying this car. The manual shows how to read the dipstick but it doesn't say anything about the inconsistency on the dipstick.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Hmm, I wonder if this was discussed here when this car was new...... (Yes, it was.)

Pull the stick and wipe it clean, put it back in and pull it out again and lay it on a clean paper towel. The towel will highlight where the oil level is.

Some members lightly sanded the plastic dipstick and painted it a bright color using paint made for plastic.

You might look for those older threads.

Good luck,

Bill

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I recall there was a discussion that BRM dipsticks were either too long or too short, this was a mistake from factory which results in incorrect oil level readings.
If I were you, I would firstly ensure that you have the correct dipstick. If not, then get a correct one - it's possible it won't have such problem.

If the problem is still there, then seek for a solution further.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
In addition to laying the dipstick on the paper towel, if you roll it slightly, you'll get a clear mark of oil level.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Guess I'm the only one that can differentiate a glossy surface from a matte one? Sure black isn't the ideal color since there's no contrast but it's not that hard.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
First I'd make sure you have the right length dipstick (do a search). Then I recommend you thoroughly clean the dipstick with a solvent, lightly sand and paint it white. With a white dipstick it is very easy to get an accurate reading.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Painted my dipstick white. Easy to read just like a real car now. No pull wipe reinsert pull roll. Just pull look done. And for some of us add more oil.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
The dipstick on the BRM is hard to read. I even painted mine but it always shows it is filled.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
the BRM dips stick suck, who ever thought that was a good idea should be shot several times over and have their ball removed so they can not contaminate the reset of the world.... if it was all metal you could see the contrast.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
My old car's white painted dipstick has held up for 150k+ miles. I used Krylon made for plastic I had lying around. I check my oil once a month before first start up of the day, no rag needed.

Over the life of all my TDIs (15 yrs, 575k miles total), with 10k mile oil changes, I need to add about a pint at 7500 miles!

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Cleaned it with denatured alcohol. Krylon plastic paint. Many light coats and its good to go. I went white and no regrets. Holds up to heat and oil no problem as many other threads on this will attest.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Thought i would update this and change my opinion. The paint had begun to start flacking so i decided i would clean it off and scuff with scotchbrite as someone had mention. This turned out to work just as well anyway.

joljaz

TDI
2004 Jetta
Dipstick problem solved

I figured out how to get a good read on the oil level with this poorly designed stick.
1. Pull out the dipstick and wipe clean totally and familiarize yourself with where it should read.
2. Take the rag and cover the dipstick tube.
3. Wait 2 hours, or till next morning. The stick's poor design pulls oil up the tube and screws up the reading by coating oil randomly over stick.
4. Put stick into tube and keep vertical after pulling out. (hold over rag)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
In the interest of being proactive, I listed below the EXACT steps I use and have ALWAYS had accurate results. I know it seems a little anal, but try it. Works for me with how crappy Dub dipsticks are designed.
Always check the engine when it is at operating temperature because that is the temp it usually runs at.
  • Roughen up the end of the dipstick so that it is dull with red or green Scotch Brite.
  • Make sure the car is at operating temperature.
  • Pull the dipstick.
    [*]Wait at least 10 minutes for any oil droplets that are in the dipstick tube to drain back down into the crank case.
  • Wipe the dipstick and install it until it is fully seated.
  • Pull the dipstick.
  • Keep the indicating end of the dipstick lower than the handle.
  • Read the dipstick. A bright light at an angle will be helpful for this. Look for the lowest place were the dipstick is not shiny from oil.
NOTE: From an old post.